View Poll Results: What do you prefer as a gift?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Food

6 8.82%
  • Parts

39 57.35%
  • Either or, it doesn't matter.

23 33.82%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gifts: Food Vs. Parts

Rhino Keeper

Gifts: Food Vs. Parts

I have noticed that some people are SO picky about what they receive as gifts. Do you have a preference and if so, why?

Personally, I don't care whether I receive parts or food. I usually receive a good mixture of both and that's fine with me.

Food = free money.

Parts = build up in my gift inventory so when I choose to build a stove, I'll have parts already there, so that's nice and convenient.

But the gifts don't *HAVE* to be one or the other. So why doesn't everyone see it this way? Some are even rude about it and may even delete you. I understand that's their right, but goodness. It kind of makes it harder on everyone else trying to keep up with who gets what.

If someone sends me a gift request, I try to gift them that same gift to help them out further. If someone leaves a comment on my wall asking for a gift, I try to oblige, otherwise, they get what they get. I thought that'd be a norm but it doesn't seem like it.

Thoughts?

New Resident
    Lower levels like cappuccino for coins and higher levels like parts to build things since they have lots of appliances to keep food stocked already. i would gift parts to people who ask but when it gets to the point where you have a billion neighbors i just gift them all cappuccino

Executive Chef
    I pretty much like both it don't really matter

I like cappuccino not just any "food". I like that cappuccino is the fewest number of plates for the most coin. I work really hard to keep the amount of food in my bakery under control. It is really easy to have food take over you bakery! People who gift cappuccino help me with that job by sending a considerate gift. I like that. I decline all croissant! I think the look ugly on the counter. Lol.
    Parts are great! I love having well stocked parts because the faster I get baking on that appliance the faster I get my gems!
    Those are my preference so I gift accordingly. I gift cappuccino one day and a general part the next day. I have my gift policy posted right on my wall above my storm id. You have to see the gift policy before you can add me as a neighbor. I never add neighbors...they have to invite me. That way I know they know how I like to gift. Anyone who makes a post on my wall complaining about the gift I gave gets removed from my neighborhood without warning.
    I am never picky or rude about the gifts I receive. I figure IT'S A GIFT. I have a decline button if I really don't want something.
    I didn't vote in the poll because there isn't an option that fits my preference perfect.

Rhino Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by myferngardens View Post
    I gift cappuccino one day and a general part the next day.
    That's a REALLY good idea. I think I'm going to start doing that! I was only gifting cappuccino unless otherwise stated by the person or indicated from a gift request because I learned that was the highest profit food gift, making the rest kind of a waste to send. But I think I'm just going to gift everyone by alternating between cappuccino and basic parts. Thanks for the tip! And if anyone complains, like you said, I'll just remove them and look for another 3-4 star person in the community.

Fashion Designer
    Im lvl 99 and mastered every recipe except 4 of the newest. I prefer new parts when new appliances come out, but cappuccino in between. Parts dont help that much since i never really build More than 5 new appliances. I also dont need regular parts since i have over 150 parts each and they NEVER get used.

Rhino Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by chewytwix View Post
    Im lvl 99 and mastered every recipe except 4 of the newest. I prefer new parts when new appliances come out, but cappuccino in between. Parts dont help that much since i never really build More than 5 new appliances. I also dont need regular parts since i have over 150 parts each and they NEVER get used.
    Wow. So I guess that's why some people demand only food, they are probably like you, been playing for a while and racked up 100+ parts of each basic part, so they don't want/need any more. I can understand that. It's just difficult to keep up with everyone's individual needs without being on the app ALL day.

Any tips to do things quicker as far as tip/gift/commenting etc?

Executive Chef
    A room in a house in a town in Southeast Kansas

Lightbulb

Nobody's way of playing is "wrong", nor are their gift preferences "wrong". All of our personal goals have evolved as our games have evolved, and our gifting needs have evolved with them. Coins, parts, everyone needs different things at different points in the game, and there's nothing at all wrong with only wanting to get what you want. The boxes already play that role anyway: "You'll take what I decide to give you, and you'll like it!" Why do we do that to each other too? :\

Now, as I've said before: Gifting isn't really "gifting", per se, but more of an exchange program, and there has to be at least somewhat equal give-and-take for it to thrive. Sometimes you need coins, other times you need supplies, so you either ask for food or parts. If a nbr gives you what you need, you hang on to them, and return the favor. If they don't, you communicate with them to see if they will, or you part ways. They'll go on to give what they have to offer to those who do need it, and you can spend your time finding nbrs who give you what you need. Keep refining until you have a list of compatible nbrs, however long that list may be, and everybody wins.

If you prefer a short and cozy list of nbrs, and personalized gifting back and forth every day, then communicate and refine until you have exactly that. If you'd rather collect hundreds upon hundreds of nbrs and then mass-gift them, be sure to let them know what they'll be getting, either as you add them, on your own wall, or both. Either way and whatever in between, let people know your play style, and what you will or won't adapt to, so you can both decide if you're compatible with each other, and the "WROOONG GIIIIIFT!!1!!!" stuff never even has to start. ;-)

Speaking of which... lots of people - LOTS - post their own play styles on their walls to let others know what kind of nbr they are up front, but it's often hard to keep those posts from getting buried. THIS, TL, IS WHY WE NEED THOSE STICKY POSTS WE KEEP ASKING FOR IN YOUR SUGGESTION THREADS. "This is how I roll!" stickies that'll stay on top of our walls. Or some kind of profile thing, a slide-out popup perhaps, that non-nbrs MUST view before each visit, and nbrs must view only on the first visit of the day. Gift preferences, vacation notices, so many uses...

Bottom line: Nbrs are either compatible or they're not. It's not personal. It's not even about the stars. Example: I'm not always compatible with 4-star players. Sure they tip daily, but if they mass-gift food daily too, they're not for me. (I have over a million piles of profit on my counters that won't turn into coins for a LONG time. Why would I want to add a single pile to that, unless it came from my own cooking for gems?) Some people regularly clear their list of anyone with 0-1 stars, but I've had some of the same 0-1 star nbrs for a long time who send me exactly what's on my wall every day without fail, answer requests quicker than Stormie, and I do the same for them. Stars are one of many determining factors for compatibility. ;-)

Most importantly, it's YOUR GAME, so don't let anyone tell you you're playing wrong. If you'd rather have the quantity than the coins, then by all means, ask everyone to send only brownies! If you want to see if you can max out on dragon parts in your inventory out of sheer morbid curiosity, then by all means, tell your nbrs THAT'S HOW YOU ROLL!

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by TinksThots View Post
    If you want to see if you can max out on dragon parts in your inventory out of sheer morbid curiosity, then by all means, tell your nbrs THAT'S HOW YOU ROLL!
    not just LOL where all i really did was smile a bit, but actually laughed out loud (okay, really actually kinda snorted and got weird looks from my coworkers). HA!

Executive Chef
    A room in a house in a town in Southeast Kansas
    Quote Originally Posted by catprint View Post
    Any tips to do things quicker as far as tip/gift/commenting etc?
    (For reference, I have 36 nbrs, and I keep a written list of them with randomly jotted notes all over it. ^_^ )
    I mass-gift my capps people, then my random basic parts people, then I visit the rest, the ones who post specifically what they want every day. I tip them while I'm there. I tip everyone else in random handfuls throughout the day. Whenever I get on to serve stuff, or if it's just been a while and I get on to check my wall, just whenever I'm on, I'll hop on my nbr list and tip however many I feel like before I get bored of it and switch games or go do something in the real world. If someone's full, I'll either remember to visit again or I won't. I stopped letting myself feel bad about that a long time ago when it dawned on me that it was just a game, not the end of the world, and if I miss 'em today, I'll get 'em tomorrow. ;-)

I don't comment when I tip/gift unless I have something specific to say, because 1. If my gift goes through, well, then, duh, lol. 2. If it doesn't, then I'm sure they're well aware that they get full early, and the massive amount of 'full' posts they have to delete all day every day will clue them in as to why I didn't get through either, so I'm not gonna pile-on. It's repetitive and messy. And 3. The newsfeed will let them know I tipped. If it moves too fast and they don't see me on it, they'll know I tipped anyway, because those who have me, know me, and, well, they just know I did because that's what I do. ;-)

Oh yeah... I have one nbr who wants a wall post from each and every nbr every day, "even if it's just 't&g'", she says. How boring... Sometimes I'll go simple, like "TIPPLES!!!", or "Coins in the cups and cappuccino in your pockets! Happy Tuesday!", or just fill the space to capacity with smileys.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast