Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Storm8 layoffs and dragon story

Rhino Keeper
    So what is this going to mean for the twice weekly updates we've been used to? I noticed we didn't get much of an update this past Friday. We'll see what today brings I guess...

Fashion Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by kimandamelia View Post
    So what is this going to mean for the twice weekly updates we've been used to? I noticed we didn't get much of an update this past Friday. We'll see what today brings I guess...
    Nothing today either.....🤔

Banned
    My internet connection is good, always have been. No other apps "crash" like S8 games...
    No updates today? Well, that's a good thing because having events on top of each other can burn a player out.

Farm Supplier
    Dang.. I had no idea... so sorry for those who lost their jobs.

Host(ess)
    When I first started playing DS, FFS and CS they did used to do small amounts of gold 20 for 79P UK price, but that stopped a long time ago, funnily enough that was when I used to buy it. The new new inflated prices via the apps store mean I will no longer buy as its now 20% cheaper via the android play store who still charge the old prices

Farm Supplier
    Quote Originally Posted by FireballFarm View Post
    I like to make regular purchases to support the games I play. But, out of all my favorite games, DS gets the smallest number of purchases. I want to support the game, I want and need gold...but the prices are just too high. Value does matter. A lot.

I think one of the places where S8 really missed the boat is in their valuation of items and, consequently, the prices on the so-called 'value' packs. Compared to my other mobile games, the dragons are overvalued and the gold is overpriced. That is not a winning combo. One, single pixel dragon does not have a real monetary value of $70. Sorry, S8, but that is simply ridiculous. Are we really supposed to believe a complete set of pixel dragons on a mobile phone game has a real money value of over $50,000? Really?

When I do finally break down and purchase gold (and that's what it feels like- negative, not a positive decision), I feel guilty. I should feel good and excited about what new, premium items I can buy with my shiny new in-app currency, like when I make purchases in my other games.

The most successful mobile games make their money from tens of thousands of micro-transactions. No one really thinks twice about spending $1 or $3, but most people definitely stop to think about dropping $15 on a mobile phone game. For $15, you can buy a couple burgers at Ruby Tuesday, or go see a new movie at the theater, rent 5 movies from Redbox, or go out and get a few beers at a bar.

If S8 offered occasional $1, $3 and $5 deals on small amounts of gold, more people would make regular purchases. I wouldn't bat an eye at spending $20 on gold, $1 at a time, every week...but I won't ever buy a $20 'value' pack with a dragon and food, coins, or maps. Food, coins, and maps have no monetary value because we can earn the (offensively tiny) amounts offered for free in less than a day through game play.

Value packs should consist of a discounted amount of gold and a free dragon tossed in as a bonus item. The gold is what we should be buying, not the dragon. We need gold to play the game. The dragon should be there to tempt you into making a gold purchase and then as a reward or bonus for making the purchase. Plus, the cost of dragons in the menu needs to be reduced. A purchase of $25 should provide enough gold to buy a couple dragons off the regular menu. When individual dragons are priced at 1200 or 2000 gold apiece, that is impossible. But, it's probably too late for all that now.
    This. So much this. I don't do a lot of these types of games...maybe 2 or 3 in my life. So maybe I'm just not used to this world. But $15 minimum for a dragon...with the good ones costing ~$50, is crazy! I dropped cash into this game twice, once for a dragon I really wanted that was part of a starter pack and once when I realized the only way to have a shot in the events was to get a 2nd evolution temple and nest and a GPD. And both times, instead of feeling excited about what I got, I was embarrassed at having spent money on this game. That's not a successful business model. The dragons should be 1/4 the current price. If they want to create two kinds of currency, I'd be fine with that...gold which is easier to get like right now through GPD and gifts and bringing back some of the old ways I hear you used to get gold, and that can only be used to speed things up or get extra buildings or something, and a new currency that can only be used for dragons and the only way to get that currency is with cash. That seems to me to be the way they could transition to cheaper dragons without losing money (because I'm sure the reason they don't do it now is because they feel it's too easy to get gold).

Farm Supplier
    Quote Originally Posted by starship412 View Post
    No updates today? Well, that's a good thing because having events on top of each other can burn a player out.
    My guess is we'll have a tournament Friday when the Marionette dragon leaves.

Rhino Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by starship412 View Post
    This idea would definitely work. Low priced items would get people to spend more. I understand the gold prices for premium items like ultra rare dragons so I wouldn't change that but the packs need to be true value packs.
    I completely agree. These games don't run for free and as I have posted before, I want to support this game, but I will not spend real money any more unless the gold traps are eliminated. It's painful enough to lose gold you have saved in that way, but I will no longer risk losing gold I have paid for. That said, I wish the best for those who have lost their jobs in the layoff.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksusa View Post
    I completely agree. These games don't run for free and as I have posted before, I want to support this game, but I will not spend real money any more unless the gold traps are eliminated. It's painful enough to lose gold you have saved in that way, but I will no longer risk losing gold I have paid for. That said, I wish the best for those who have lost their jobs in the layoff.
    I think this is a valid point. Gold traps might have been beneficial to S8 when they had a larger proportion of players who didn't care so much and were willing to spend lots more, but in a climate where you don't have as many of these overly generous player, you have to position the games as an valueable investment. Gold traps undermine this and are a large barrier for people making that transition from a casual gamer to a dedicated player. Over the years I hear the same thing over and over again, and I'm sure they've lost a few players this way too. I know after the few times I lost a lot of gold, I would feel a bit disconnected from the game and even considered quitting and the only thing that really kept me was how long I've been playing (from the very start, a nostalgic anchor most people won't have).

I don't see why they don't at least trial this. Have a quick prompt for when a significant amount of gold is at stake. The small hits can go unprompted.
    Bye Attachment 67493
    Dble12win & 24win streak! -No$Spent!
    DragonS LB trophies (1crystl,51gld,27s,4b) Attachment 67493
    FantasyS LB trophies! (45gld,7s,4b) Attachment 54914

Crystl Trophy Shoplist:
    350m coins,23m food,18 10x boost,13k gld

2314Gld+BoostBreedWkend+DmdTmpl=
    Valint,Achlls,Helios,CrwnJwl,Quasr,Dmd-PrsmX3,Angl,Gld,Mercry&Crusadr
    My Rainbow Attachment 36684

My FashionS boutiques!
    -Beach Esplanade Attachment 35793 @JustKay
    -Fashion First gym Attachment 35795
    -Made in Meiji-era okiya Attachment 35794 @KayJust

BlossomPicnicAttachment 35799
    Monster!Attachment 36956

Fashion Designer
    I don't know how people feeling now, but after layoffs , this game so boring, nothing fun, nothing kool, interesting release, normally i sign in to game many x a day but not anymore

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast