Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breeding with Crystal Unicorn.......

Rhino Keeper

Breeding with Crystal Unicorn.......

I've spent so much time trying to acquire the Crystal Unicorn that I have spent very little time thinking of its proper use. I will have my CU in a little less than 40 hours.....so what should be my strategy in using it? I am so tired of 4 element breeding it will be nice to be able to get away from it.

I would be interested to know just how much some of you use the CU from the standpoint of breeding and in tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW60 View Post
    I've spent so much time trying to acquire the Crystal Unicorn that I have spent very little time thinking of its proper use. I will have my CU in a little less than 40 hours.....so what should be my strategy in using it? I am so tired of 4 element breeding it will be nice to be able to get away from it.

I would be interested to know just how much some of you use the CU from the standpoint of breeding and in tournaments.
    First stock pile much food as possible very hungry Unicorn. It took me a while to make mine epic even though I had food I feed up to lvl 10 then grow and reserve food. For storybooks mainly.

2nd I use my CU in Tournments all the time if it's recommended for that round the CU is always my first choice.

3rd I haven't had mine all that long the first Gem Hybrid I tried for religiously was the Garnett Griffin which surprisingly only took about 60 to 65 trys I didn't keep an exact count with Pyro Pony. Now when a tournament, or trio, limited time animal to breed etc I'm obviously not trying to breed a hybrid. Im trying for other Hybrids. For example last night I threw my CU in the breeding den with Party Penguin gives me a chance at a dark/electric hybrid sense we're at a slow down ATM. No luck yet, but I've probably rough estimate tried 30 times sense my Garnett Griffin. Which I would highly recommend trying for he is sooo fierce in Tournments plus you could possibly also get a Ruby Razorback while trying.
    Last edited by jojopeanut; 03-15-16 at 07:49 PM.

Executive Chef

After I first bred a Crystal Unicorn, I raised it to Level 15 as soon as possible and use it often during tournaments. It is strong against Nature and Earth and doubly Strong against Earth/Nature hybrids, so there are plenty of opponents it is good against.

As for breeding, I did not have any luck breeding a Gem Hybrid until I accidently bred a second Unicorn while trying for the Teddy Bear as part of a Trio (required 4 elements). I raised the second one to level 4 and use it all the time for breeding while the level 15 Unicorn fights. I have tried over 100 times to breed a Gem Hybrid with a single element common but never managed one that way. I generally use a Crystal Unicorn as one parent for virtually all my breeding attempts. Since the beginning of the year, I have bred 2 Gem hybrids this way while my main intent was to breed something else. For instance, I am trying for the Palmeranian, I am using a Crystal Unicorn and a Porkupine (Electric/Nature) as parents.

Good Luck going forward, at least now you get to try for a Gem Hybrid.

Executive Chef
    I usually try to keep my Crystal Unicorn available for tournaments. She's often been an invaluable fighter.

That said, I usually always use a breeding formula which has a possibility of a gem outcome, unless I specifically want to avoid such a long timer.

This becomes easier after you get gem hybrids and have more choice of possible breeding pairs.

Good luck!

Executive Chef
    Firstly: BIG congrats on having bred the Crystal Unicorn!
    Despite hundreds of 4-element attempts, I never succeeded at that, so I bought 2 of them during the Black Friday sales.
    I made one (Jasper) an epic, and kept the other (Krystal) at level 9 (as I like the Juvenile form).
    Nowadays, either one of them pretty much constantly occupies the breeding den. There's pretty much no breeding that I make without using a Unicorn as one of the parents (same process as ninasidstorm8 describes). I have, however, been lucky in breeding out gem hybrids with the Unicorn + single element formulas. The Unicorn + Pyro Pony formula resulted with surprising ease in two Ruby Razorbacks (IIRC, the first one after some 10-20 attempts and the second one after some 10-20 more attempts). It took some more efforts to breed out the Garnet Griffin this way, again, I don't remember the exact amount, but from memory I think around 50-65 attempts or so, which is still pretty good for a gem hybrid.
    The others were bred differently: my Emerald Dragon was bred in a 4-element attempt with my bought Quartz Quetzalcoatl (my first gem animal) on the 101st breeding with the QQ. My Pearl Peryton recently was acquired with the level 15 Unicorn + Winter Equifox (as a 'fail' when trying for Zeus Moose), and only a few days ago I got the Jade Kirin with my level 9 Unicorn + Swan Prince (as a 'fail' when trying for the French Hen).

As for combat: despite the Unicorn being a great fighter, I use it surprisingly little for that. I prefer to use hybrids, but sometimes I pull my epic Unicorn from the stable in order to help me out in the arena. During tournaments I try to keep my level 15 Unicorn at the arena's disposition, while the level 9 one does its thing in the breeding den. This is also why the Jade Kirin was bred with the level 9 Unicorn, whereas Pearl Peryton was bred with the level 15 one.

Have fun in the breeding with it, and don't get frustrated if it takes a lot of attempts to breed out a hybrid. If you explicitly want to try and breed out a hybrid, go for Unicorn + Pyro Pony first for having shots at the Ruby Razorback and the Garnet Griffin, or go with the Unicorn + Pandaffodil for having shots at the Quartz Quetzalcoatl and the Emerald Dragon.

Executive Chef

Congratulations!

I use my CU in breeding almost all the time unless I really don't want a long timer because of a zodiac or similar event. I may not be actively trying for a gem hybrid, but leave the door open to the possibility by using my CU or a gem hybrid.

During a tournament, I rarely use my CU even though it is epic. I do have a lot of epic animals though and usually have several good options for each battle. Sometimes I scan the upcoming battles to see how likely it is that I'll need the CU before breeding. If you don't have many options for battling, maybe you should keep your CU available during tournaments.
    Dragon Story level 200 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Fantasy Forest Story level 200
    622 unique dragons hatched . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 342 unique animals hatched
    428 dragons at level 10 or higher . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 154 animals at level 15

Rhino Keeper
    Can you not breed a CU with something with water/fire elements?

Executive Chef
    Can you not breed a CU with something with water/fire elements?
    No, None of the Water/Fire animals can be used as parents. There have been occasions in the past when S8 made a mistake and one could be a parent for a short period of time and the result was lots of Ruby Razorbacks (there were no Gem/Water animals at the time).

Rhino Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by ninasidstorm8 View Post
    No, None of the Water/Fire animals can be used as parents. There have been occasions in the past when S8 made a mistake and one could be a parent for a short period of time and the result was lots of Ruby Razorbacks (there were no Gem/Water animals at the time).
    Thanks. I noticed I didn't have the option to do that.

I've heard that some very rare animals can be bred more easily when pairing/breeding 2 CUs together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast