Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Keeping Track of Your Dragons - Spreadsheet Discussion/Tips Thread

Executive Chef
    Your example of the Champion Ruins is a good illustration of how I used the spreadsheet originally. I would have seen that I was losing coins as each ruin can only hold 5000 coins and you are producing that many in an hour in one of them. I would have bought a third ruin, moved 2 dragons to balance the coins better, and collected a little more each time I checked in. Also, that would leave me 2 slots for the next Champion I won from a Tournament so the possibility of waiting to expand and/or add a habitat becomes a non-issue. I tend to level every dragon up to 4 to get bombs for the mine. The spreadsheet helped point out for some of the special habitats (Mythic, Zodiac, et al) that I needed to level the single dragon up to 7 for a better return on investment. That's not as obvious since I dropped the coin producing column.
    Last edited by roguebee; 01-08-16 at 08:43 AM.

Executive Chef
    DeeDee, I noticed you have more than 1 Big Red Rocks (2500 coins). Why? Again, this goes back to my early days of madly collecting coins. I sold all mine, but 1 and converted them to either Big Yellow (2900 coins) or Big Greens (3200 coins) to increase coin generation.

Fashion Designer
    Your lists are impressive! I thought about creating such a list once, but oh the laziness!

A few months ago I used a specific website to keep track of my dragons. Am I allowed to name it? I know there's one specific website we aren't even allowed to name, but what about others?
    Well, that website let's you click at the dragons you own and you'll find the type/colors for it, the rarity, breeding time, egg, if it's limited etc. You can also write down your own breeding combos. Unfortunately it's always sorted by name. But it shows you how many dragons you have and it's a simple way to keep track.
    But at some point I lost interest. If I want to know a certain breeding/evolution time I can easily check it on the internet. And I don't need that many other informations. I know the important things about my island (which dragons I own, which dragons I want to level up next etc) and that's enough for me. Nevertheless I'm really impressed by all your lists And if someone would create such a list for me it certainly wouldn't be uninteresting
    Active Dragon Story player.
    ID: hiabarara

Executive Chef
    Hiabarara, the beauty of pivot tables is you only have one list. The pivot tables update automatically from that one dragon list. All that's needed is to enter new dragons on the main list. That's not much effort.

The other thing I like about having my own is I can sort it anyway I like and change it any time I like.

As for doing it for you..... Ummmm no, sorry. Give a man a fish, you feed him for today, teach a man to fish, you feed him for life....or something like that! Happy to share the spreadsheet, not happy to do your data entry! Lol

Fashion Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDe99 View Post
    Hiabarara, the beauty of pivot tables is you only have one list. The pivot tables update automatically from that one dragon list. All that's needed is to enter new dragons on the main list. That's not much effort.

The other thing I like about having my own is I can sort it anyway I like and change it any time I like.

As for doing it for you..... Ummmm no, sorry. Give a man a fish, you feed him for today, teach a man to fish, you feed him for life....or something like that! Happy to share the spreadsheet, not happy to do your data entry! Lol
    Of course your lists are way better than the online one I used. There's no question about it. Just wanted to say that there are alternatives. But if you're in deep enough to want to keep track of your dragons, then I would recommend to create your own anyway

Don't worry, it was a joke! I would never want someone to write such a detailed list for me, haha. If I really want it I can do it on my own
    Active Dragon Story player.
    ID: hiabarara

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by roguebee View Post
    DeeDee, I noticed you have more than 1 Big Red Rocks (2500 coins). Why? Again, this goes back to my early days of madly collecting coins. I sold all mine, but 1 and converted them to either Big Yellow (2900 coins) or Big Greens (3200 coins) to increase coin generation.
    Because I like balance. So I have 3 of each. I need another White Meadow. Ultimately I'll upgrade them all to the 10,000 habitats, but for the young fry they are OK. I couldn't have all green and yellow, it wouldn't be balanced, but that's just me! I understand your point, I'm just weird like that. Coins are really no longer a problem and I've always had the big earners on the higher capacity habitats. But a very good hint for new players just starting out.

I need another Champion Ruins though as you suggested. And more Champs will come.

Fashion Designer
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DS Excel.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	27603

This is the chart I started when I had around 83 dragons (I now have 248 different types)
    Besides the obvious the table includes dragon rarity, goal level, habitat type it's in, hatch time, food pattern, a little calc to tell see what dragons are waiting to evolve based on level
    I don't really use this for calculations about total earnings or best habitat situation like some of the people in the thread, that's simply too much effort for me

Elsewhere in the Excel tab I have calculations for World events, crafting dragons and records of tournaments, neighbours and a complete list of dragons that are currently available to me

Executive Chef
    Zyfazix, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the colour coding of the types! Will be so easy to do with conditional formatting too!

I wish I'd recorded the hatch date from the start, but I didn't and I figure now it is too late to start, unless I just gave everything before today yesterday's date as a dummy default.

Yes, I too have other areas for calculating all sorts of things - food production, Tales timelines, I used to keep a budget of how much coin to spend per day on food, expansions and save for future use - I no longer worry about coin.
    Last edited by DeeDe99; 01-08-16 at 03:35 PM.

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDe99 View Post
    Because I like balance. So I have 3 of each. I need another White Meadow. Ultimately I'll upgrade them all to the 10,000 habitats, but for the young fry they are OK. I couldn't have all green and yellow, it wouldn't be balanced, but that's just me! I understand your point, I'm just weird like that. Coins are really no longer a problem and I've always had the big earners on the higher capacity habitats. But a very good hint for new players just starting out.

I need another Champion Ruins though as you suggested. And more Champs will come.
    We all have our own idiosyncrasies when it comes to playing these games. I assume that is why so many different people enjoy them. We each have our own goals and ideas of how to play best. I prefer to clump all the same colored habitats together, symmetry doesn't matter. It also makes swapping dragons around a lot easier.

Fashion Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by roguebee View Post
    I can't understand why I see so many Red habitats at my neighbors... I put a dragon in that habitat that holds the most coins and put that dragons together so that the habitats flows over about the same time as much as possible. First time I read I'm not the only one who choose for the coins and not for the looks! ☺
    But what I like most if I visit my neighbors is to see what there way of playing is, and the differences between them! So for everyone, keep your way of playing!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast