Thread: Please, mods, correct the English

Executive Chef

Please, mods, correct the English

Dear Moderators,

Please correct the first sentence under the heading of this forum.

"How do you get that one dragon breed?" should be "How do you get that one dragon bred?" or "How do you breed that one dragon?"

Sorry for being a grammar nazi.

Thanking you in anticipation.
    359/484 unique dragons, 87 Epic (lvl 10 +), Level 178
    1 Diamond (15), 1 Infinity (15), 2 Crusader (13 & 5), 2 Quetzal (11 & 5), 1 Unicorn (10), 2 Gold (10 & 3), 1 Mercury (10), 1 Angel (9), 2 Anubis (10 & 3), Achilles (9)
    10 Champions, 6 Gold Producing, 6 Resource Producers
    3 Prime (Chroma 10, Eternal 10, Arcane 10)
    Arctic Isles 19 Epic, completed

"The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud." ~ Coco Chanel

Executive Chef
    I read "breed" as a noun in that sentence (cf. dog breed).

(N.B. English isn't my native language but I do have a degree in it so I take interest in grammar issues.)
    Last edited by Sandybellee; 12-21-15 at 04:46 AM.

Executive Chef
    You could be right, Sandybellee, I just didn't read it that way. Well, I guess that I didn't is obvious really, isn't it? LOL

It has grated every time I read it. I don't have a degree in English, but I did breed German Shepherds and budgerigars. Not together, that would be decidedly odd, but yes I am familiar with that usage.

I saw it as a verb because of the "one dragon" - "one" not constituting a breed as such, although again, open to interpretation as it might mean one breed (noun) rather than one dragon.

I see "breeded" used quite often in the forums, that gives me heartburn too! LOL.

Maybe I have a mild case of OCD. I have learnt that in modern slang "dun" must mean "don't". My mother must be turning in her grave!
    Last edited by DeeDe99; 12-21-15 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Clarification

Executive Chef
    I know how you feel about grammar DeeDe99. I try to remember that there are a lot of non-native English speakers on the forum and that English has more than its fair share of irregular verbs.

My current pet peeve is the demise of the adverb. My husband and I are often found muttering -ly under our breath while watching tv. As in chop the onion coarse(ly) or sing quiet(ly) run quick(ly). It has become very common to use the adjective form as an adverb. I shall try to gracefully dismount from my soapbox now.
    Dragon Story level 200 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Fantasy Forest Story level 200
    622 unique dragons hatched . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 342 unique animals hatched
    428 dragons at level 10 or higher . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 154 animals at level 15

The Honorable Panda
    I will flag this request over to the community managers.
    Thanks!
    Need me? Send Me A Private Message

Note: Due to some personal matters, I will not be on over the weekend.

Contact Storm8 by filling out this form: support.storm8.
    How to submit Support Request

The Honorable Panda
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandybellee View Post
    I read "breed" as a noun in that sentence (cf. dog breed).

(N.B. English isn't my native language but I do have a degree in it so I take interest in grammar issues.)
    I did check on this and Sandy is correct, in this case, breed is being used as a noun. Like a dog breed, they are saying a dragon breed.
    Need me? Send Me A Private Message

Note: Due to some personal matters, I will not be on over the weekend.

Contact Storm8 by filling out this form: support.storm8.
    How to submit Support Request