Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deleting from Storage - pros & cons (Elsa?)

Rhino Keeper
    This is really strange.

After looking through this thread I went back and check with other Android devices in my house and find running DS on those are indeed not in a good condition. The frame outside the island is much as same as the Halloween version, the storage is pretty close like what everyone had described here. The force-close and restart issue seem to happen depend on the device though (tend to happen more often the older the device is). But it seem that only my currently use tab is running faster with the new DS

Also, there's a weird visual bug where if you use a dragon to battle in Arena, sometimes after the battle that Dragon is place far outside of the habitat it is in. Then that will slowly walk back toward its habitat until it got inside its habitat again. This also happened with my fast-DS-running device

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragosle View Post

Also, there's a weird visual bug where if you use a dragon to battle in Arena, sometimes after the battle that Dragon is place far outside of the habitat it is in. Then that will slowly walk back toward its habitat until it got inside its habitat again. This also happened with my fast-DS-running device
    Dragosie, that wandering back to the habitat after a battle thing is not Android specific. I first noticed it on my iPad. Thought Lightning was going to fall into the sea after one of his wins yesterday!

Crusader walked from the pool to his habitat this morning. I'm not sure if it is an intentional attempt at humour by the developers!

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by mylord7 View Post
    I came to the forum to post that the new android version (2.3.1.1.g) causes numerous crashes and even worse devices' restarts (i have never faced such problems in the past) and surprisingly i didn't find any similar reports in the bug section, but only in this thread!
    So, if noone reports this severe bug, how would we hope that teamlava will fix it with a new better version?

By the way, i am completely agree with the storage problem that is mentioning here and i am sorry that i high-jacked the thread!
    No problems re hi-jacking, but I do suggest you submit a problem report to support@storm8.com re the crashing etc with the update.

Fashion Designer
    I could test on my iPhone but it's a 5s so painfully small screen, which would tell you for sure if this is a problem isolated to android. If it is that may explain why it has taken so long for android to get things like tales etc.

Diamonds: Helios, Angel (11), Crusader, Quetzel, Prime Eternal, Achilles, Prism, Gold, Mercury - all level 10. Glimmer (9), Astromancer (7), Blk Diamond (7), Crown Jewel (9), and Unicorn (13)
    Diamond, Infinity, and Valiant at level 15

4 Prime Dragons, Eternal (10), Chroma (10), Arcane (10), Power (8), Dark Prime Chrono (10)
    Champions: total of 22 all at 9 or Epic, Glasswing at 13, three at fifteen
    All 18 Arctics epic

No longer accepting DragonStory Neighbors, sorry

The Honorable Panda
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDe99 View Post
    I am only level 100 and already I am bothered by the inability to delete unused items from storage. I notice on my Android device (Galaxy S6 phone) storage is almost impossible to use due to slow response, although on the iPad it is still absolutely fine.

From the player's perspective, it is annoying to have all these unused materials in storage. And I can see it will get worse: I have crafted Pearl Dragon - what do I do with white gems from now on, other than a few that may get used in Dragon Tales from time to time. Ditto Amethyst, Emerald (although I still need emeralds to craft Spell Scrolls for the others).

Issues for players:

Clutter (i.e. hard to find things)
    Response time lag - this is more of an issue on some devices than others, from what I hear from various players and my own device comparisons

Potentially the ever growing storage causes a wider response time issue in the game generally, not just in the storage module.

Now, from the Storm8 side of the equation, given data storage is so relatively cheap these days the ever growing number of records in the database is probably not a cost issue for them.

I can see that if Storm8 implemented a delete function for players their support desk would light up with new cases from players accidentally deleting stuff, or deleting the wrong stuff. Just look at the complaints relating to accidentally spending gold and apply that to a delete button in storage. Two minutes from crafting that mining dragon and poof, gone. Can you imagine the uproar? Better to just leave it all there rather that to have to deal with the increased support traffic.

The best solution I can think of would be for Storm8 to periodically, perhaps monthly, cleanse storage of items that will not be used again. For example, the Chandelier Crystals of which I have 69. The Jigsaw pieces. I am sure long term players have a list a mile long.

There could be an "Archive" tab in storage and players could move items to the archive, a bit like moving stuff to history tables in a transactional database. Then it would only need to be drawn from the server if accessed.

I really don't have a specific answer, I can see the issues that would arise from adding a delete function, but even so this is a growing problem that it would be better to tackle sooner rather than later.

Thoughts, folks? Players and Storm 8 staff, please contribute!
    Lets keep the thread on topic. Above is a remember of what this thread is discussing.

Thanks!
    Need me? Send Me A Private Message

Note: Due to some personal matters, I will not be on over the weekend.

Contact Storm8 by filling out this form: support.storm8.
    How to submit Support Request

Executive Chef
    Thanks Kooky!

Simdiva, I already play the game on both my Android and an iPad. In my experience the slow Storage response is definitely an Android only issue - absolutely no problems at all on the iPad, other than the clutter aspect.

For those wondering, yes, it is the exact same game/account I play on both devices. Usually I just collect coins on the android and do important stuff like breeding and battling on the iPad.

Seems the consensus is as follows:

a) Players would like a regular clean out by Storm8 of obsolete parts
    b) Players would like to know if parts will ever be reused (the runestones are a classic example right now)

I understand that for some parts, planned for a future surprise, telling players would not be at all appropriate (maybe the runestones), but the Chandelier Crystals and the Jigsaw parts - they seem rather dragon specific and reuse seems unlikely (as examples).

Noted at least one player likes the souvenir aspect of the unused parts - so perhaps it could be possible to opt in or opt out of a storage cleanup routine.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDe99 View Post
    Thanks Kooky!

Simdiva, I already play the game on both my Android and an iPad. In my experience the slow Storage response is definitely an Android only issue - absolutely no problems at all on the iPad, other than the clutter aspect.

For those wondering, yes, it is the exact same game/account I play on both devices. Usually I just collect coins on the android and do important stuff like breeding and battling on the iPad.

Seems the consensus is as follows:

a) Players would like a regular clean out by Storm8 of obsolete parts
    b) Players would like to know if parts will ever be reused (the runestones are a classic example right now)

I understand that for some parts, planned for a future surprise, telling players would not be at all appropriate (maybe the runestones), but the Chandelier Crystals and the Jigsaw parts - they seem rather dragon specific and reuse seems unlikely (as examples).

Noted at least one player likes the souvenir aspect of the unused parts - so perhaps it could be possible to opt in or opt out of a storage cleanup routine.
    Make that at least 2. I purposely collect extra of everything, just to keep as souvenirs too. I never stay in the all tab anyway, so I don't care how many end up there. Actually I might if the scrolling was smooth like on ios. That is my concern, the lag and it can't be blamed because of Android, it can absolutely be fixed and would if they actually worked on fixing it, but they're always designing and pushing dragons

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrod333 View Post
    Make that at least 2. I purposely collect extra of everything, just to keep as souvenirs too. I never stay in the all tab anyway, so I don't care how many end up there. Actually I might if the scrolling was smooth like on ios. That is my concern, the lag and it can't be blamed because of Android, it can absolutely be fixed and would if they actually worked on fixing it, but they're always designing and pushing dragons
    I can't help wondering if the lag on Android is to do with the database design. It would have been optimised for iOS as it came first, which may not be the best optimisation for Android. Clearly it is the same DB otherwise we wouldn't be able to swap between device platforms.

Really curious why there is a problem on android but not iOS from a technical perspective.

Executive Chef
    My way of keeping my storage as low as possible is to sell all repeat dragons as soon as hatched that way I don't waste food raising them to L3 to exchange for crystals and I don't over load my storage anymore than necessary .... And I have 99% of the crafting dragons anyway so do not need the crystals I'm on IOS and so far don't have any of the problems others are having
    Might help some maybe
    Pern magic L200 dragons623+
    Champs, Valiant L15 Rainbow Sentinel L 15, Guilded knight, Spirit Warrior, Highlander L15, Inquisitor, Sharman, Guardian Angel L12 , Warrior King ,Warrior princess, Chariot, warrior Prince + others
    Diamond hybrids, Diamond, Valiant, Angel, Crusader, Helios , Quentzal , Gold, astromancer, Mercury , Infinity, Unicorn ,Prism, Dark Angel, Black diamond and others
    Gold producing 10 L10

Executive Chef
    Hi Pernmagic, the Storage lag is Android only, at the moment anyway

Good tips though!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast