Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deleting from Storage - pros & cons (Elsa?)

Executive Chef

Deleting from Storage - pros & cons (Elsa?)

I am only level 100 and already I am bothered by the inability to delete unused items from storage. I notice on my Android device (Galaxy S6 phone) storage is almost impossible to use due to slow response, although on the iPad it is still absolutely fine.

From the player's perspective, it is annoying to have all these unused materials in storage. And I can see it will get worse: I have crafted Pearl Dragon - what do I do with white gems from now on, other than a few that may get used in Dragon Tales from time to time. Ditto Amethyst, Emerald (although I still need emeralds to craft Spell Scrolls for the others).

Issues for players:

Clutter (i.e. hard to find things)
    Response time lag - this is more of an issue on some devices than others, from what I hear from various players and my own device comparisons

Potentially the ever growing storage causes a wider response time issue in the game generally, not just in the storage module.

Now, from the Storm8 side of the equation, given data storage is so relatively cheap these days the ever growing number of records in the database is probably not a cost issue for them.

I can see that if Storm8 implemented a delete function for players their support desk would light up with new cases from players accidentally deleting stuff, or deleting the wrong stuff. Just look at the complaints relating to accidentally spending gold and apply that to a delete button in storage. Two minutes from crafting that mining dragon and poof, gone. Can you imagine the uproar? Better to just leave it all there rather that to have to deal with the increased support traffic.

The best solution I can think of would be for Storm8 to periodically, perhaps monthly, cleanse storage of items that will not be used again. For example, the Chandelier Crystals of which I have 69. The Jigsaw pieces. I am sure long term players have a list a mile long.

There could be an "Archive" tab in storage and players could move items to the archive, a bit like moving stuff to history tables in a transactional database. Then it would only need to be drawn from the server if accessed.

I really don't have a specific answer, I can see the issues that would arise from adding a delete function, but even so this is a growing problem that it would be better to tackle sooner rather than later.

Thoughts, folks? Players and Storm 8 staff, please contribute!
    Last edited by DeeDe99; 11-17-15 at 11:13 PM.
    359/484 unique dragons, 87 Epic (lvl 10 +), Level 178
    1 Diamond (15), 1 Infinity (15), 2 Crusader (13 & 5), 2 Quetzal (11 & 5), 1 Unicorn (10), 2 Gold (10 & 3), 1 Mercury (10), 1 Angel (9), 2 Anubis (10 & 3), Achilles (9)
    10 Champions, 6 Gold Producing, 6 Resource Producers
    3 Prime (Chroma 10, Eternal 10, Arcane 10)
    Arctic Isles 19 Epic, completed

"The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud." ~ Coco Chanel

Rhino Keeper
    It wouldn't be as big an issue if there was a confirm button before actualy deleting. I do like the idea of a monthly sweep of extra pieces being automatically deleted. Or say a week or two after certain dragons expire, just a mass sweep of leftover pieces.

Rhino Keeper
    Do it like RS2... When event items comes out say sweet candy there is a small icon says 14days so it expire n disappear.

But since this is DS, it be tedious for admin to calculate or input 38days etc & players might not spend gold less profit for S8

My solution or suggestion.
    Whenever the event is ending or ended, the LAST 7days say sweet candy gets a small icon above saying prompting 7days so it be expire n disappear. Meaning for example you have 500 sweet candy, u can only craft 4 sweet tooth since each of them takes 2days... As Long as we craft the dragon/item before it expire we are good... If u want the 5th dragon I Guess u need to spend gold to speed up the time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDe99 View Post
    I am only level 100 and already I am bothered by the inability to delete unused items from storage. I notice on my Android device (Galaxy S6 phone) storage is almost impossible to use due to slow response, although on the iPad it is still absolutely fine.

From the player's perspective, it is annoying to have all these unused materials in storage. And I can see it will get worse: I have crafted Pearl Dragon - what do I do with white gems from now on, other than a few that may get used in Dragon Tales from time to time. Ditto Amethyst, Emerald (although I still need emeralds to craft Spell Scrolls for the others).

Issues for players:

Clutter (i.e. hard to find things)
    Response time lag - this is more of an issue on some devices than others, from what I hear from various players and my own device comparisons

Potentially the ever growing storage causes a wider response time issue in the game generally, not just in the storage module.

Now, from the Storm8 side of the equation, given data storage is so relatively cheap these days the ever growing number of records in the database is probably not a cost issue for them.

I can see that if Storm8 implemented a delete function for players their support desk would light up with new cases from players accidentally deleting stuff, or deleting the wrong stuff. Just look at the complaints relating to accidentally spending gold and apply that to a delete button in storage. Two minutes from crafting that mining dragon and poof, gone. Can you imagine the uproar? Better to just leave it all there rather that to have to deal with the increased support traffic.

The best solution I can think of would be for Storm8 to periodically, perhaps monthly, cleanse storage of items that will not be used again. For example, the Chandelier Crystals of which I have 69. The Jigsaw peices. I am sure long term players have a list a mile long.

There could be an "Archive" tab in storage and players could move items to the archive, a bit like moving stuff to history tales in a transactional database. Then it would only need to be drawn from the server if accessed.

I really don't have a specific answer, I can see the issues that would arise from adding a delete function, but even so this is a growing problem that it would be better to tackle sooner rather than later.

Thoughts, folks? Players and Storm 8 staff, please contribute!
    They really need to just fix the painfully slow response for opening storage and other pop-ups and lists and the terrible choppy non smooth scrolling. Opening storage and button presses and list scrolling should be instant and scrolling should be butter smooth on a galaxy s6, as should it in my htc one m9. These aren't Droid 1s we're using here, they are latest android powerhouses and these are things of the past with other apps but not for this app yet. Maybe if they actually fix it instead of constantly poring new dragons into the game. Anyway to me these items in storage are not an issue, just the slow response and choppy scrolling are and should not even be there anymore. I know I'm blunt about things but I really want to see this app do well, and I'm sure you know every other apk on your s6 lists scroll perfectly and confirm or opening tabs instant

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrod333 View Post
    They really need to just fix the painfully slow response for opening storage and other pop-ups and lists and the terrible choppy non smooth scrolling. Opening storage and button presses and list scrolling should be instant and scrolling should be butter smooth on a galaxy s6, as should it in my htc one m9. These aren't Droid 1s we're using here, they are latest android powerhouses and these are things of the past with other apps but not for this app yet. Maybe if they actually fix it instead of constantly poring new dragons into the game. Anyway to me these items in storage are not an issue, just the slow response and choppy scrolling are and should not even be there anymore. I know I'm blunt about things but I really want to see this app do well, and I'm sure you know every other apk on your s6 lists scroll perfectly and confirm or opening tabs instant
    I gave up using this on my S6 long ago - I just stick to the iPad for anything to do with storage - I cannot use the storage feature on my S6 at all, way too annoying.

Even so, I personally hate clutter, so obsolete stuff hanging around is annoying in and of itself, irrespective of the impact on response.

I also can't comment on other games on the S6 in comparison - I really only play one game - this one! Certainly my contacts etc scroll without any issue.
    359/484 unique dragons, 87 Epic (lvl 10 +), Level 178
    1 Diamond (15), 1 Infinity (15), 2 Crusader (13 & 5), 2 Quetzal (11 & 5), 1 Unicorn (10), 2 Gold (10 & 3), 1 Mercury (10), 1 Angel (9), 2 Anubis (10 & 3), Achilles (9)
    10 Champions, 6 Gold Producing, 6 Resource Producers
    3 Prime (Chroma 10, Eternal 10, Arcane 10)
    Arctic Isles 19 Epic, completed

"The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud." ~ Coco Chanel

Rhino Keeper
    Well with the latest update on the original app for DS in Google Store, the storage it much smoother to use now (you still got a bit of freeze frame time when you first enter it from the island though). It also help if you use a strong device. If you still have the Halloween version installed you can make comparison on this.

The bad thing is, yeah, they decided to make in-game ad pop-up, which is way too often that it feels really annoying. But I mean... they already make an balloon ship in-game that carry the ad image but they still go with the pop-up, it's so irritating and somewhat pointless

Fashion Designer
    I use the latest version 1.3.1.1g from original DS, and I use my newest tablet (Samsung SM T900 from work, becease my nearly 3 year old Samsung Note is useless for the game now). Storage isn't faster then before. Visiting neighbors closes the game about every 10 neighbors I think. Also we have the pop-ups... And because of all the pop-ups and the freeze time you click on something wrong very fast. And that means spending gold for something you don't need most of the time... :-/
    Edit: 2.3.1.1.g it is
    Last edited by Jackiesq; 11-18-15 at 09:49 AM.

Fashion Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrod333 View Post
    Oh man. Everytime I accidentally click at the Storage button I'm just so annoyed because I'll have to wait at least a full minute until it opens and then it's not even fully loaded, no. Scrolling through that thing is nearly impossible because it just takes so freaking long.
    Thank God for the option to only show dragons in storage. I would probably go crazy if I had to scroll though all that junk to find my new dragon.

I mostly use a tablet and as you said, it's ridiculous that it takes so long to load for most people.
    Maybe most people would even have less problems with crashes if S8 just deleted all that pointless stuff from time to time or let us delete it manually.

tl;dr I completely agree with you.
    Active Dragon Story player.
    ID: hiabarara

Rhino Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackiesq View Post
    I use the latest version 1.3.1.1g from original DS, and I use my newest tablet (Samsung SM T900 from work, becease my nearly 3 year old Samsung Note is useless for the game now). Storage isn't faster then before. Visiting neighbors closes the game about every 10 neighbors I think. Also we have the pop-ups... And because of all the pop-ups and the freeze time you click on something wrong very fast. And that means spending gold for something you don't need most of the time... :-/
    Huh? I think you mean version 2.3.1.1g right cause that what it show on my tab. But really, the app run much faster on my device after the update.

Fashion Designer
    Sorry yes 2.3.1.1.g it is. But not faster, only more game closings... :-(

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast