Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Magic in the Arena

Rhino Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by mystctattoo View Post
    I have always wondered if there really was a difference between bash and magic despite mods saying there isn't. So thank you for starting this thread. I think it will become very useful information
    Untill very recently, I strongly disbeleived that there r any real difference between bash and magic : that as long as u choose the right dragon colour, the result will be the same; and that, it is merely a matter of personal style. I, for myself, used only bash all the time.

Since the last 4 weeks or so, I have been experimenting a lot with this. My conclusion is that: there ARE significant difference!!

On more than 5-6 occasions, I have used only bash (or only magic), got defeated, healed it and used the same dragon except, this time, with only magic (or only bash). And I won!!

I also found that, dragons having yellow, purple and light magics r apparently stronger in magic than in bash. I, particularly want to mention the magic power of Air. I am not a big fan of using single colours, but try it next time and u will be amazed.

What confused me most is that there seem to be great variation inbetween dragons too. The bash power of my Landworm is simply devastating: only a handfull of dragons can stand against it. But the magic attack of Landworm is like a f*rt in the wind, never works. Devil's (same red/green as Landworm ) magic on the other hand r much more effektive than its bash.

We need to investigate more. Will be interesting to compare ur findings.
    Last edited by jagarjag; 12-12-15 at 07:12 AM.

Fashion Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by jagarjag View Post
    Untill very recently, I strongly disbeleived that there r any real difference between bash and magic : that as long as u choose the right dragon colour, the result will be the same; and that, it is merely a matter of personal style. I, for myself, used only bash all the time.

Since the last 4 weeks or so, I have been experimenting a lot with this. My conclusion is that: there ARE significant difference!!

On more than 5-6 occasions, I have used only bash (or only magic), got defeated, healed it and used the same dragon except, this time, with only magic (or only bash). And I won!!

I also found that, dragons having yellow, purple and light magics r apparently stronger in magic than in bash. I, particularly want to mention the magic power of Air. I am not a big fan of using single colours, but try it next time and u will be amazed.

What confused me most is that there seem to be great variation inbetween dragons too. The bash power of my Landworm is simply devastating: only a handfull of dragons can stand against it. But the magic attack of Landworm is like a f*rt in the wind, never works. Devil's (same red/green as Landworm ) magic on the other hand r much more effektive than its bash.

LOL!! I laughed so hard at this. Maybe that's why my landworm sucks in battle.

But I do feel the need to note what I found out regarding the dragons on my island. I will give one example:

My Shaman dragon (champion type) is very powerful in arena, but only if I use her attacks in this order: Magic, Bash, Bash. Now sometimes her first magic attack will be a critical hit, or even a KO (which always surprises me when it happens), but more often than not her magic doesn't take out too much damage. It's her second hit, the Bash attack that's usually the critical hit. And obviously if the second hit is definitely a critical one I could use whatever attack I want as my final, but I usually just use Bash anyway to finish them off.

I have tried using her Bash attack first and it just doesn't work. If I use Bash first she will lose. (Weird, huh?)
    Sometimes she loses anyway, but that's just the nature of the game.

I have a few other dragons that way that I have made a mental note of (I believe ForestFire is one of them - being that I use his Magic first to attack and then Bash, but I'm still experimenting with him a bit) and many others I haven't paid close enough attention to or used often enough in battle to know their best attack pattern.

But my point is this: I feel like each dragon has a best attack pattern. At least there is one for my Shaman. I think we, as players, just have to experiment and figure out which attacks are most effective for each dragon.

Rhino Keeper

I do have an island with both a Devil and Landworm however my Devil is only a lvl 7 I think actually not really sure and my Landworm is lvl 10. Since my feelings of a tournament yesterday were wrong I will get Devil to 10 then will try out this theory to see what my results will be. I will report back my findings

Rhino Keeper

Also I really couldn't believe that there would be no difference in the 2 attack types. I mean if there wasn't a difference then why have the 2 at all? For looks or for us to feel like we have some kind of control over the outcome? I don't know but I appreciate you testing this out and for me at least it answers a question that I have been asking for a long time

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by mystctattoo View Post
    Also I really couldn't believe that there would be no difference in the 2 attack types. I mean if there wasn't a difference then why have the 2 at all?
    Also one of my original discussion points on the two hit types.

Executive Chef
    Along the lines of BlackenedDove and Jagarjag, I'll cite one example from my "testing", such as it is with no control over the next opponent! LOL

Loch Ness/Druid/Cornucopia - green/yellow (Loch Ness) and yellow/green (Druid) - see note ** below
    Green STRONG: Red, Mythic, Dino, Gemstone, Royal, Champion, Soccer WEAK: Purple, Black, Stone
    Yellow STRONG: Pink, Black, Cosmic, Zodiac, Champion WEAK: Red, Blue, Gold

(The red and black are highlighted as that is my convention for noting which "strong" colours to avoid on a cross match with the weak.)

I just faced Druid in the Arena. Lightning is the most senior pink dragon I have, but of course he is pink/yellow. Yellow as a colour isn't mentioned in the strengths and weaknesses of green. I find that using Lightning's pink magic is usually a crit here. Now in the last tournament, I put Unicorn (Diamond/pink) in against Cornucopia, but Unicorn uses Diamond magic. Unicorn lost, although I can't remember what my attack sequence was and didn't note it down. Cupcake, another with pink magic, won in the tournament (I didn't use Lightning as the opponent was only a level 5).

** I am not yet confident the order of the colours (green/yellow or yellow/green) indicates anything other than what magic the dragon will use. It MAY indicate type strength within the dragon, but I'm not seeing the evidence yet. But it may, as of course in this case, yellow is the first colour of Druid and pink is the strongest against yellow. So I hit Druid's strongest with the strongest against. Had he been Loch Ness, would the result have been the same? Looking back, the last time I faced Loch Ness I used bmm which tells me the magic was stronger than the bash because I repeated the magic strike.

Executive Chef
    However - to COMPLETELY confuse the issue, Warrior Prince used black magic to knock out Triple Rainbow. Black is weak against rainbow:

Triple Rainbow
    Rainbow STRONG: Mythic, Gold, Fairytale, Champion WEAK: Blue, White, Black, Tropic, Metal
    Pink STRONG: Black, Gold, Fairytale, Gemstone, Champion, Soccer WEAK: Yellow, Purple, Mythic, Royal
    Purple STRONG: Green, Pink, Gold, Zodiac, Royal, Champion WEAK: Blue, White, Cosmic, Soccer

Maybe when black magic is used by a Champion it is special black magic......

Rhino Keeper
    There seems to be differences between islands. One dragon may work for a person but it may not work for someone else.

I don't record my battles and only use the calculator when i feel really stuck... and my "hunches," based on results over time, are that:

you're definitely fighting the dominant, first, or "magic" color.

while there are colors to try and to avoid listed on the wiki, which is awwesome, usually one of the first two is their real weakness and needs to be first.

example: light dominant dragons are weak to blue or purple, so i use a blue-purple or purple-blue (coral OR dark phoenix) based on secondary color of opponent... lorekeeper is white-green, but instead of choosing blue OR purple and trying to work red in to fight the green, i would do... mistmoth actually, which is purple-blue, super rare, also fully evolved on my island and likely to obfuscate history, sorta anti-lorekeeper. which brings me to another hunch,

considering what each dragon is "about" is helpful in choosing your battler, and i would even say each dragon may have a kryptonite... black diamond falls for royal. godmother knocks out prince charming...

last, mixing bash & magic often works best, but certain opponents must be bashed down or magiced out.

just my thoughts, FWIW.

Fashion Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDe99 View Post
    However - to COMPLETELY confuse the issue, Warrior Prince used black magic to knock out Triple Rainbow. Black is weak against rainbow:

Triple Rainbow
    Rainbow STRONG: Mythic, Gold, Fairytale, Champion WEAK: Blue, White, Black, Tropic, Metal
    Pink STRONG: Black, Gold, Fairytale, Gemstone, Champion, Soccer WEAK: Yellow, Purple, Mythic, Royal
    Purple STRONG: Green, Pink, Gold, Zodiac, Royal, Champion WEAK: Blue, White, Cosmic, Soccer

Maybe when black magic is used by a Champion it is special black magic......
    Hmm... Yes. I'm with you on this. Since Champion types are strong against rainbow, it may just be that the Champion "black" magic is special, or possibly canceled out because of the Pink element of Triple Rainbow which Black is strong against.

Or it could just be that being a Champion type was enough (since Champion is strong against all three types within Triple rainbow) and the "black" magic had nothing to do with the magic hit succeeding.

It would be interesting to see if Warrior Prince could beat Triple Rainbow again with just a Bash attack.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast