Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Magic in the Arena

Executive Chef
    In the interests of science, I threw Banshee into the Arena - but he also uses yellow magic. I can't check Light specifically as she is on the breeding den, but I will later. I am pretty sure that the Diamond magic is for Diamonds only - I've never seen it on any other dragon that I recall.

Harvest uses yellow as well, but then he is a white/yellow dragon, so I wouldn't have thought anyone odd about that probably, however we can now say that Jigsaw, Banshee and Harvest, all dragons with White as their first colour/type, all use yellow magic.

I should clarify - when I say yellow magic I am looking at the colour of the icon, not the actual colour of the magic strike, which if Laserlight follows the above pattern, looks white on the screen. I just came up against him!
    Last edited by DeeDe99; 12-09-15 at 06:02 PM.

Fashion Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDe99 View Post

It is as if Jigsaw has three colours: White, green and yellow.
    From my experience, I can say some dragons have hidden colors. I first figured this out by way of one of my dear neighbors & mentors in the game telling me that I could get both a Large Pearl & a Large Emerald from trading a Dawntree dragon (who is only a Green super rare).

Have you ever noticed when you go to trade a super rare dragon, you will get gems in the colors attributed to the dragon? (Jigsaw for example would give you a Large Pearl & a Large Emerald, and most likely a "mystery box".)

If case you haven't traded anything yet, (though I'm sure you have ) you can test this out by selecting a dragon to trade. It will tell you what gems you will get, and then ask you to press a "trade" confirmation button. You can always decide not to trade.

I believe the hidden color you're referring to is the one contained in the "mystery box" when you trade dragons in the trading portal. Not every mystery box contains a gem, but most of them do.

I think there is a list of what gems you get for specific dragons (including what's in the mystery boxes)...somewhere...

I bet if someone were to trade a Jigsaw they would get a Large Pearl, a Large Emerald, and a small topaz. Just my guess based on your observation of his yellow magic.
    Last edited by blackeneddove; 12-09-15 at 06:31 PM.

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by blackeneddove View Post
    I will also add to the subject of the effectiveness of yellow magic, that my Camelot who is a Yellow/Red super rare always beats Gold-type dragons. Always. (Don't go messin' with my game now, TL!) And he wins using yellow magic. One or two magic attacks will always bring them down. I think there may have only been one time (during a tourney) where my Camelot didn't win out-right against a Gold-type.

That being said, the only "gold" type that he seems unable to beat is Sterling Silver. Which actually isn't gold. lol...Strange, huh? I usually have to pull out a different dragon for him, and I haven't came across him enough times to remember how I beat him.
    I'll have to try! I've only ever used Ms Diamond against the gold type dragons and she has 100% win rate against them as far as I recall - she may have lost once before she was level 15 - I really don't remember.

But on a similar vein, I don't recall Jigsaw ever losing against Darksteel. I always used to use magic more than bash, so I wouldn't have used a bbb attack sequence.

I am NOT planning on trading my Jigsaw to see if I get a small topaz! He's too special and cost me too darn much food to get to epic!

Fashion Designer
    I'll have to try! I've only ever used Ms Diamond against the gold type dragons and she has 100% win rate against them as far as I recall - she may have lost once before she was level 15 - I really don't remember.

But on a similar vein, I don't recall Jigsaw ever losing against Darksteel. I always used to use magic more than bash, so I wouldn't have used a bbb attack sequence.

I am NOT planning on trading my Jigsaw to see if I get a small topaz! He's too special and cost me too darn much food to get to epic!
    LOL! I don't mean that you should trade yours. I only made that comment in case someone out there who happened to get more than one happened to trade theirs and could enlighten us. I know many people get two dragons crafted out of arena battles, but I have never managed more than one.

Also, mentioned it just to see if you get a "mystery box" pop-up. I bet you would. I think all the super rare dragons have three items you get for trading them. I would check my jigsaw, but he's still a baby.

Fashion Designer
    In the interests of science, I threw Banshee into the Arena - but he also uses yellow magic. I can't check Light specifically as she is on the breeding den, but I will later. I am pretty sure that the Diamond magic is for Diamonds only - I've never seen it on any other dragon that I recall.

Harvest uses yellow as well, but then he is a white/yellow dragon, so I wouldn't have thought anyone odd about that probably, however we can now say that Jigsaw, Banshee and Harvest, all dragons with White as their first colour/type, all use yellow magic.
    Also "in the interests of science," I threw Banshee into the trading portal. I, of course, did not trade her. I had forgotten that rare dragons also get a "mystery box". Rares just get small gems attributed to their type instead of the large gems that the super rares get.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-3.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	26713

I would be willing to bet this mystery box is also a small Topaz.

Very interesting observations with the yellow magic. I wouldn't have thought to link it to a hidden type (and the mystery boxes' likelihood of holding that type) before this conversation.

I wonder why they wouldn't just make the dragon have "white" magic since that is it's first type? Very odd.

Executive Chef
    BlackenedDove - my apologies! Further investigations have revealed that while Yellow and White have the same coloured icons (i.e. yellow) they are different shapes! So the White type has white magic which is white when thrown even though the icon is yellow and the Yellow types have yellow magic and a yellow icon, it is just a different shape.

The sun icon = light, being the logic of the developers, I assume! I had to put Air into the Arena to compare and once I was taking specific notice, of course the difference jumped out at me. I think the symbol of the Air magic is meant to be wind (makes sense) and the magic looks like tornadoes when thrown at the opponent - WHY it is yellow is anyone's guess!

Anyway, looks like we have 28 dragon types (including 3 Arctic Isles types) and only 10 magic types:

Red - looks like flames when thrown
    Light - yellow icon but the bubbly white light when thrown
    Black - just a big black cloud
    Green - vines that climb on the opponent
    Yellow - tornadoes when thrown
    Pink - the swords
    Purple - the musical notes
    Blue - blue bubbles
    Diamond - also white when thrown but spiky/sparkly
    Invisible - we see nothing when the opponent throws it at our dragons - I THINK this was the Arctic dragons, will pay attention next time

I'm not sure how we need best take this into account when choosing our best dragon for a fight, but I do think it is important in some way.

I had been comparing DS strike types with those in Fantasy Forest Story, hoping to learn something. For those unfamiliar with FFS, there the animals seem to be only of one or two types, no tri-types as in DS. The strikes they have are very clearly one for each type of the animal - i.e. an earth/nature hybrid will have an earth strike and a nature strike, while a single type animal only has one strike type available for battle.

Yes, in DS we have a specific magic type, but the bash type has a generic icon (is it a paw?). This I've assumed to date to represent a physical strike calculated on the combined types of the dragon (points for strong colours minus points for any weak colour, level and rarity factors etc). I'm going to continue with that assumption, but pay particular attention to magic as a single type strike.
    Last edited by DeeDe99; 12-10-15 at 02:40 PM.
    359/484 unique dragons, 87 Epic (lvl 10 +), Level 178
    1 Diamond (15), 1 Infinity (15), 2 Crusader (13 & 5), 2 Quetzal (11 & 5), 1 Unicorn (10), 2 Gold (10 & 3), 1 Mercury (10), 1 Angel (9), 2 Anubis (10 & 3), Achilles (9)
    10 Champions, 6 Gold Producing, 6 Resource Producers
    3 Prime (Chroma 10, Eternal 10, Arcane 10)
    Arctic Isles 19 Epic, completed

"The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud." ~ Coco Chanel

Rhino Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by blackeneddove View Post
    I will also add to the subject of the effectiveness of yellow magic, that my Camelot who is a Yellow/Red super rare always beats Gold-type dragons. Always. (Don't go messin' with my game now, TL!) And he wins using yellow magic. One or two magic attacks will always bring them down. I think there may have only been one time (during a tourney) where my Camelot didn't win out-right against a Gold-type.

That being said, the only "gold" type that he seems unable to beat is Sterling Silver. Which actually isn't gold. lol...Strange, huh? I usually have to pull out a different dragon for him, and I haven't came across him enough times to remember how I beat him.
    I totally agree with you! I blindly use my Firestorm (red/yellow though as oppose to camelot's yellow/red) against all the gold types. In fact, I use my Firestorm against ALL unknown types: arctic, metal, fairytale, zodiacs, mythic, cosmic...yeah...everything. The funny thing is my Firestorm does'nt work against sterling_silver either ! ! But I found that Landworm works everytime against sterling_silver.
    Last edited by jagarjag; 12-10-15 at 06:05 AM.

Fashion Designer
    All very interesting, I am about to do a trade on a crafted dragon and can tesr out the black red anyhow.

Diamonds: Helios, Angel (11), Crusader, Quetzel, Prime Eternal, Achilles, Prism, Gold, Mercury - all level 10. Glimmer (9), Astromancer (7), Blk Diamond (7), Crown Jewel (9), and Unicorn (13)
    Diamond, Infinity, and Valiant at level 15

4 Prime Dragons, Eternal (10), Chroma (10), Arcane (10), Power (8), Dark Prime Chrono (10)
    Champions: total of 22 all at 9 or Epic, Glasswing at 13, three at fifteen
    All 18 Arctics epic

No longer accepting DragonStory Neighbors, sorry

Fashion Designer
    BlackenedDove - my apologies! Further investigations have revealed that while Yellow and White have the same coloured icons (i.e. yellow) they are different shapes! So the White type has white magic which is white when thrown even though the icon is yellow and the Yellow types have yellow magic and a yellow icon, it is just a different shape.

The sun icon = light, being the logic of the developers, I assume! I had to put Air into the Arena to compare and once I was taking specific notice, of course the difference jumped out at me. I think the symbol of the Air magic is meant to be wind (makes sense) and the magic looks like tornadoes when thrown at the opponent - WHY it is yellow is anyone's guess!

Anyway, looks like we have 28 dragon types (including 3 Arctic Isles types) and only 9 magic types:

Red - looks like flames when thrown
    Light - yellow icon but the bubbly white light when thrown
    Green - vines that climb on the opponent
    Yellow - tornadoes when thrown
    Pink - the swords
    Purple - the musical notes
    Blue - blue bubbles
    Diamond - also white when thrown but spiky/sparkly
    Invisible - we see nothing when the opponent throws it at our dragons - I THINK this was the Arctic dragons, will pay attention next time
    OH! LOL!!!!

When you said Jigsaw had yellow magic, I thought you meant he was throwing those yellow air tornadoes out!! LOL!!
    I thought that was awfully strange.

So funny, DeeDe99.

Well, I guess there goes my educated guesses/reasoning as to why it could have "yellow" magic & the "mystery box" theory. Probably totally invalid now.

Now that you mention it, yes the diamond is the sparkly "white" magic, and Light magic is regular "white", with the sun icon because it is Light. (and Light comes from the sun ) The sun icon just happens to be yellow, not the magic itself.

I think the Metal dragon used the same type of sparkly white diamond magic like the Diamond dragons, but I will have to check to be sure.

Also, Champs use "black" magic, (So there are 10 magic types) and I believe you are right about the Arctic dragons, not that it matters much for us as players because we can't choose to use them to battle with.

Anyway, all this being said - Did your Jigsaw dragon use Light/White magic? Or did it really use the yellow magic even though it has the Light magic icon?
    Last edited by blackeneddove; 12-10-15 at 11:23 AM.
    **Full-time DS junkie since 2014, working to make her dragon dreams come true.**

Diamonds: Diamond, Infinity, Crusader, Gold, Quetzal & All Arctic Diamonds
    Champions: 13 total, 4 epic, 1 max level
    Player Level: 171
    *Newest bred dragons: Super (6.14.16) & Iris (6.11.16 - boosted)

Dragons are so fun!
    Dragons are so fun!
    Now it's time to hatch an egg
    and see what we have done...

Fashion Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by jagarjag View Post
    I totally agree with you! I blindly use my Firestorm (red/yellow though as oppose to camelot's yellow/red) against all the gold types. In fact, I use my Firestorm against ALL unknown types: arctic, metal, fairytale, zodiacs, mythic, cosmic...yeah...everything. The funny thing is my Firestorm does'nt work against sterling_silver either ! ! But I found that Landworm works everytime against sterling_silver.
    You know this is really funny. My Firestorm doesn't do well in battles on my island. Neither does my Landworm. But since you have that kind of result with your Firestorm and all the unknown types, I may just use my Camelot against all the unknowns too and see how he does. Also, where most people have success with Landworm, I have success with Forestfire (also Red/Green super rare) so I may just try him against Sterling Silver. Thanks so much for this info!!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast