Thread: Tips to avoid accidentally spending Gold

Executive Chef

Lightbulb Tips to avoid accidentally spending Gold

There is much talk on the forums about "gold traps". I've not accidentally spent gold in well over a month, so in the hope of helping others (especially newbies) avoid spending gold when they don't want to, I'm sharing what I do.

First and foremost remember you are playing on a small screen using FINGERS - there is limited screen real estate and fingers are not as precise as a cursor pointer. Having got that out of the way - on to the meat, so to speak.

Keep your farms together - this way you are less likely to accidentally select one of them instead of a habitat when collecting coins. I think we all go into remote control - select, collect, select, collect - except, oh darn, I selected a farm and spent gold to speed up. If the farms are out of the way, like on a chunk of land by themselves, so much the better (but it will take newbies a while to get there). If you can have some vacant land in between habitats and your farms, good. Or place some decor between your farm area and the habitats.

Try and keep one 4 x 4 spot free for habitat construction. If this isn't possible, park it in an obscure corner during construction. If you pop in it's planned location while it is being built/upgraded, you are likely to speed that up too when you are in the "select, collect" routine. I tripped myself up once on this - never again. Move it into the final position after it is ready. I move stuff before I upgrade then move it back.

Put all the breeding equipment together: Den, Nests, Evolution Temple. I include the Trading Portal and the Spell Shop in this group. As with farms, if they are all off to one side you are less likely to select them when you don't want to. I have no suggestions about curbing the desire to speed things up because you want to know what egg you got - you'll have to find your own solution to that!

Accidentally speeding up Expansions is difficult as there is a HUGE confirmation message, but clearing foliage can be sneaky. All I can suggest is just to be extra careful around those spots.

Quests and the Arena shouldn't be a problem - both are located out of the usual line of fire of your finger and really have to be specifically selected.

Ensure you LOCK your device with a code before putting it in your pocket. I have read about people's phones doing strange things in their pockets or as they were being taken out of their pockets. If your "unlock" is merely a swipe, that could be risky I suppose.

Irrespective of how the game could be designed or any other related debates - it is how it is, so I am only concerned here with how best to work with what exists.

Happy breeding!
    Last edited by DeeDe99; 10-03-15 at 05:11 PM.
    359/484 unique dragons, 87 Epic (lvl 10 +), Level 178
    1 Diamond (15), 1 Infinity (15), 2 Crusader (13 & 5), 2 Quetzal (11 & 5), 1 Unicorn (10), 2 Gold (10 & 3), 1 Mercury (10), 1 Angel (9), 2 Anubis (10 & 3), Achilles (9)
    10 Champions, 6 Gold Producing, 6 Resource Producers
    3 Prime (Chroma 10, Eternal 10, Arcane 10)
    Arctic Isles 19 Epic, completed

"The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud." ~ Coco Chanel

Rhino Keeper
    Here's another tip from me, specifically for those who play DS on a low resources (old) device.

As with this case you will notice that the game running is a bit laggy, and there will be time that the image of the game will temporary freeze for a short time. When this happened DO NOT click anywhere on the screen and wait for the game image to start moving again or just force close and re-log. Because even when the image of the game is freeze, it's still running so what action (clicking) you make are still valid, it just won't show up right away so you might end up clicking something that is out of your intention and worse, there's no "undo button".

This happened to me once before I got my new Pad and it was really painful (spend 500 golds for coin =_=)

Fashion Designer
    There's a large gold trap I think you've missed. When moving around the island it sometimes happens that you move just too close to 'buy food' or 'buy coins'. After that you're only one click away from spending up to 1000 gold, since there is no confirmation (this is how I lost gold once). To prevent this from happening again I swipe horizontally, diagonally towards or from the top right corner or diagonally on the bottom half of the screen. As long as it's not near the buy actions.

You mentioned the location of farms/den/nests. There are some lower islands which are great for these objects. It's possible to expand here early in the game and the island is large enough for all of the regular buildings in the game
    Attachment 23427

Executive Chef
    Thank you both for contributing! I couldn't see any post anywhere with suggestions for newbies, so thought it worth putting something up.
    359/484 unique dragons, 87 Epic (lvl 10 +), Level 178
    1 Diamond (15), 1 Infinity (15), 2 Crusader (13 & 5), 2 Quetzal (11 & 5), 1 Unicorn (10), 2 Gold (10 & 3), 1 Mercury (10), 1 Angel (9), 2 Anubis (10 & 3), Achilles (9)
    10 Champions, 6 Gold Producing, 6 Resource Producers
    3 Prime (Chroma 10, Eternal 10, Arcane 10)
    Arctic Isles 19 Epic, completed

"The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud." ~ Coco Chanel

Fashion Designer
    I would also suggest to be careful when collecting coins from habitats. Do not collect more than from two three habitats at once. Also the habitats that you collect from should not be in the very top of the screen to avoid spending gold on coins and food. You should also avoid collecting coins from habitats that are at the bottom of the screen. This way you will avoid accidentally upgrading your habitat for 500 gold, selling or trading your dragons.
    I already lost gold buying food, accidentally speeding up breeding and farms. My son collected coins from several habitats at once and accidentally traded my dragon. I'm glad it was only level 8 Mist. I also accidentally bought a Firestorm dragon. It was before the upgrade (I'm on android), and it was enough to touch the dragon picture in the marketplace in order to buy it. Since then I only feel safe in the marketplace if my all nests are full or more than one nest is empty.

I play on my phone aka a small screen but I use a rubber pointer, not my finger. Yes, I have been caught in the trap of paying gold to speed up several things but it was a small amount and I have learned my lesson about that trap. What I am really upset about is that twice now while I have been collecting coins from a habitat located in the center of the screen, out of nowhere just as I clicked on my habitat, instead of that a pop up appeared that took 100 bars of gold for coins. I never saw it coming and there wasn't any stopping it. Nor was there any confirmation that that was what I really wanted to do, which it was not. Both times it happen so fast that I hardly had time to see what exactly did happen. The second time I was able to see how many bars of gold they took and for how many coins. Both times I contacted storm 8 support and neither time have they done anything beyond an automated response.
    What do we have to do to get them to put up a simple confirmation for this action??? If we can buy coins with gold then why can't we buy gold with coins?
    I cannot afford to buy gold with real money and I play this game with some amount of s**** in the collection of both money and gold. I get a few bars everyday from neighbors but I get the most gold from playing their other games whether I want to play them or not. For me to lose 100 bars of gold is really upsetting.

Fashion Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by czarboy View Post
    I play on my phone aka a small screen but I use a rubber pointer, not my finger. Yes, I have been caught in the trap of paying gold to speed up several things but it was a small amount and I have learned my lesson about that trap. What I am really upset about is that twice now while I have been collecting coins from a habitat located in the center of the screen, out of nowhere just as I clicked on my habitat, instead of that a pop up appeared that took 100 bars of gold for coins. I never saw it coming and there wasn't any stopping it. Nor was there any confirmation that that was what I really wanted to do, which it was not. Both times it happen so fast that I hardly had time to see what exactly did happen. The second time I was able to see how many bars of gold they took and for how many coins. Both times I contacted storm 8 support and neither time have they done anything beyond an automated response.
    What do we have to do to get them to put up a simple confirmation for this action??? If we can buy coins with gold then why can't we buy gold with coins?
    I cannot afford to buy gold with real money and I play this game with some amount of s**** in the collection of both money and gold. I get a few bars everyday from neighbors but I get the most gold from playing their other games whether I want to play them or not. For me to lose 100 bars of gold is really upsetting.
    I had the same problem last week on my 12inch tablet. I was collecting coins, the habitat always go to the middle if I want or not. Got a pop-up and 100 gold gone for coins... :-(

The Honorable Panda
    This thread is now becoming a gem confirmation thread, so I am closing the thread.

Current Gem Confirmation thread here.

I will add a link on the current thread showing these helpful tips.

Thanks!
    Need me? Send Me A Private Message

Note: Due to some personal matters, I will not be on over the weekend.

Contact Storm8 by filling out this form: support.storm8.
    How to submit Support Request