Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 22626869707172

Thread: Warrior Prince Dragon Tournament Release Date: 9/4/15

Executive Chef
    There has been quite a bit of discussion on this thread about how different the last two tournaments were, unpredictable results, etc etc.

I am just throwing a theory out there for consideration. Some of you, I think, also play Fantasy Forest Story. I popped in to have a look at it and have moved myself up to level 10 or 11 when filling in time between DS battles. Anyway, what I did notice is that in FFS battles are much more an integral part of the game and the players win coins, food and gems (equivalent to DS gold). Bear with me, I'm getting to my point slowly, I know.

In FFS when you hit the attack button, words flash up on screen re the attack you have made. "Strong Attack", "Weak Attack", "Critical Hit". Yet the player has no control over the strength of the hit, the player just hits the button. A PyroPony (I think it is) can go to battle against the same opponent with completely different results each time. Lose because of three week attacks the first time, win the second time with a Critical Hit and a Strong Attack.

It is reasonable to assume that the battle code used in these games is very similar or is being made more similar over time (less maintenance with the same code, of course). In DS we see the effect of our attack on the opponent, but not a rating of the strength of our attack, if you see what I mean. Was our attack a strong attack or is the opponent actually weaker? There is no way in the real world a level 1 year old child (a Fire just out of the nest) could be physically stronger and more battle-hardened than a twenty year old soldier (level 15 Infinity), for example, magical powers notwithstanding.

To me, new to all this, the FFS battles seem much more randomised that what I initially thought DS batttles were, based on the calculators available and everyone's careful opponent planning.

But looking at the results of this tournament in conjunction with everyone's comments and my limited experience of the FFS battle programming - it is possible changes have been made to make DS battle results much less predictable and more like what I consider FFS's are: totally randomised.

Just some thoughts....... I could be completely wrong.
    359/484 unique dragons, 87 Epic (lvl 10 +), Level 178
    1 Diamond (15), 1 Infinity (15), 2 Crusader (13 & 5), 2 Quetzal (11 & 5), 1 Unicorn (10), 2 Gold (10 & 3), 1 Mercury (10), 1 Angel (9), 2 Anubis (10 & 3), Achilles (9)
    10 Champions, 6 Gold Producing, 6 Resource Producers
    3 Prime (Chroma 10, Eternal 10, Arcane 10)
    Arctic Isles 19 Epic, completed

"The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud." ~ Coco Chanel

Fashion Designer
    Done on both accounts. Congrats to all and good luck to all!

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDe99 View Post
    There has been quite a bit of discussion on this thread about how different the last two tournaments were, unpredictable results, etc etc.

I am just throwing a theory out there for consideration. Some of you, I think, also play Fantasy Forest Story. I popped in to have a look at it and have moved myself up to level 10 or 11 when filling in time between DS battles. Anyway, what I did notice is that in FFS battles are much more an integral part of the game and the players win coins, food and gems (equivalent to DS gold). Bear with me, I'm getting to my point slowly, I know.

In FFS when you hit the attack button, words flash up on screen re the attack you have made. "Strong Attack", "Weak Attack", "Critical Hit". Yet the player has no control over the strength of the hit, the player just hits the button. A PyroPony (I think it is) can go to battle against the same opponent with completely different results each time. Lose because of three week attacks the first time, win the second time with a Critical Hit and a Strong Attack.

It is reasonable to assume that the battle code used in these games is very similar or is being made more similar over time (less maintenance with the same code, of course). In DS we see the effect of our attack on the opponent, but not a rating of the strength of our attack, if you see what I mean. Was our attack a strong attack or is the opponent actually weaker? There is no way in the real world a level 1 year old child (a Fire just out of the nest) could be physically stronger and more battle-hardened than a twenty year old soldier (level 15 Infinity), for example, magical powers notwithstanding.

To me, new to all this, the FFS battles seem much more randomised that what I initially thought DS batttles were, based on the calculators available and everyone's careful opponent planning.

But looking at the results of this tournament in conjunction with everyone's comments and my limited experience of the FFS battle programming - it is possible changes have been made to make DS battle results much less predictable and more like what I consider FFS's are: totally randomised.

Just some thoughts....... I could be completely wrong.
    Hi DeeDe! Actually the battles in FFS are not randomized at all. There are set strengths and weaknesses. You can get lucky and get a critical hit with anything but the weak and strong attacks are always the same and predictable. There is a very helpful thread on the first page of the FFS forum called: Battlegrounds & Tournaments: Strategy Guide & Discussion. You can find charts there with the strengths and weaknesses listed. They sometimes tweak the strengths of new special elements against the older ones but otherwise it's very set.

We also have a very kind member chippychan who always creates an awesome chart specifically for every tournament.

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandybellee View Post
    Hi DeeDe! Actually the battles in FFS are not randomized at all. There are set strengths and weaknesses. You can get lucky and get a critical hit with anything but the weak and strong attacks are always the same and predictable. There is a very helpful thread on the first page of the FFS forum called: Battlegrounds & Tournaments: Strategy Guide & Discussion. You can find charts there with the strengths and weaknesses listed. They sometimes tweak the strengths of new special elements against the older ones but otherwise it's very set.

We also have a very kind member chippychan who always creates an awesome chart specifically for every tournament.
    I'll believe you! I'm only "fiddling" in FFS, I have no desire to persevere, but it just struck me as I described. I'll have a look at the thread you mention more from an interest in the programming behind it all than battle strategy. The problem with being an IT person is we always want to know - or hypothesize - how they coded the back end.

I have to say I think the winning food, gems and coins is good. One can never have too much food, it seems, in DS (above level 10) these dragons EAT!
    1 Diamond (15), 1 Infinity (15), 2 Crusader (13 & 5), 2 Quetzal (11 & 5), 1 Unicorn (10), 2 Gold (10 & 3), 1 Mercury (10), 1 Angel (9), 2 Anubis (10 & 3), Achilles (9)

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandybellee View Post

That is really interesting, what he/she is doing charting all those results. I haven't obviously had time to look in detail, but I can see the logic in accumulating the data the way it is being accumulated.

I'll compare the next time I am in FFS. No, I am NOT getting hooked on a second game - I don't have time!

Banned
    Congrats to the winners this time around. Good luck next time to ALL!!

Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 22626869707172