Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nugget #3 - Neighbors

Nightclub Owner

Post Nugget #3 - Neighbors

"Neighbors" is an important part of the game. It is even a necessity! They are useful for:
    • Goals: you often need special items
    • Bonus: when visiting a neighbor, you get a small bonus: 1 energy (10 per day), 5 coins or 1 XP
    • Social Points: when visiting a neighbor, you can "tend" a building (heart floating above). It doubles the amount of XP given at the next gathering. A "Visited" building will also glimmer. Having a lot of heart will increase your social score, thus improve your visibility in the community list.
    • Chat: if you like cluttering walls

Neighbor
    Storable: No
    Info: Helps you with Quests, Bonus, Social Points, Chat, and many other things. Accessiblwe throug the the "Main Menu" - "Social" button.
    Type: Special
    Source: Storyline
    Link: https://forums.storm8.com/showthread.php?77505

How Many
    A good question and highly dependent of your gaming style! However, there is a minimum you will need to have an efficient pool. Primarily, during timed goals/events, neighbor interaction is often requested. If you have too few of them, it can impact your success.

During timed events, requesting neighbors will yield a maximum of 20 responses a day. Assuming some margin error, a good safe minimum would be to double this amount. Thus 40 should be your bottom line. If you need to add neighbors you have a thread for that.

Active Neighbor
    Only active neighbors can helps you with quests as they need to answer you. Therefor your neighborhood should be populated with active players. There is no simple and direct way to know if your neighbor is active or not.

Some pointers you can use to identify the "active" state. Note that you need in general more than one of those clues to validate activity:
    • The current or last timed event items are present or in progress
    • The neighbor has one or more social hearts (Note: hearts stay until the player logs into the game; decay is initiated when you login)
    • You can "visit" buildings, a heart floats on top of it. (Note: you can visit buildings even from inactive players, the "visited" flag resets after sometime, leaving the building open for a new visit)
    • Check if crafting / animated builds are moving (Windmill, Sawmill, Workshop, Potion Shop, Magical Forge, etc.)
    • Crops are growing
    • The realm layout has changed (you Know Your Neighbor after some time)
    • Your wall or news feed has traces of your neighbor's activity
    • The neighbor's wall is active (cleaned, self-post, etc.)
    • They are active on the forum

Social Rating
    The social rating increase your visibility within the community and to certain extends shows you are an active player. The higher your social ratings, the higher changes are you are visible in the social community tab, thus people will visit you and eventually "visit" your buildings.

Social rating will be a nice boost when you have a young and growing dominion, once you have reached full maturity (have done all goals), it becomes more a personal choice. Getting XP boosts from buildings are very welcome to level up fast.

The social rating is defined by the 4 hearts in your overview page; tap the star on the upper-left part of the screen to show your overview page. Gaining social ranks is done by visiting buildings with a heart floating above it in another realm, each visit provide 1 heart. Number of hearts needed to reach the next level:
    Code:
    Level 1:       5
    Level 2:      20
    Level 3:     100
    Level 4:     500
    Social hearts have a limited life time span. Each day a certain amount will decay. The precise decay formula is unknown for the moment but a first analysis suggests:
    1. The decay starts 2 days after acquiring the point.
    2. Decay rate is 20% of the current level every day, so at level 3, you lose 20% of 100=20 points a day.
    3. If the decayed point is greater than the remain points for the current level, the decay continues on the level below, but not more the 20% of that level. Example, social rating 3 with 5 point left, the decay will claim 20 points. You end up with a social rating of 2, and 16 points and not Level 2 with 5 points.

Requests
    You will need, for many goals, something from your neighbors. When you issue requests, your neighbors can accept or refuse it. But, a neighbor needs to explicitly perform the answering action. Now some rules apply:

1. A Castle Story day starts at 0:00 AM PDT (Converter).
    2. You can request a neighbor only once a day.
    3. You can answer as many requests as you want.
    4. You can only receive 20 answers a day, +1 additional from the Stormie's Castle.
    5. Request will backlog until answered by a neighbor or is decayed (number of days unknown, looks like <7 days). Thus a request sent 2 days ago can be answered and validated on the current day, and counts toward the answered day.

In conclusion, if you send out >40 requests to active players just before the end of a CS day, you can get 20 replies back, then the following day 20 more responses. For people living in a time zone where the CS day switch is in their night, they can cumulate 40 responses overnight (max 42 due to Stormie's Castle).

Note: Do not send out too many requests if you know you need to send another one for another goal in the same or next day. You might clog you request pipeline!

Downloads

<< Previous ----- Next >>
    Last edited by ShibuyaCloth; 12-02-21 at 12:44 AM. Reason: fixes
    Castle Story "Tome of Knowledge", visit for: Interactive Map, Inventory Cards, Detailed Inventory, and more...

One additional thing you can check is that their wall has recent comments. In active account will generally stop showing in the Community and will stop receiving new wall comments from visitors. Some players do regularly clean out their wall, so that in itself might be a sign of activity. In the worst case, you can put a message on their wall yourself and ask them to respond on your wall.

Executive Chef
    Also you can check for animated crafting buildings, if the player is active, you will see them moving, Windmill, Sawmill, Workshop, Potionshop, Magical Forge. It means the neighbor is using them regularly.
    💎💎Gem confirmation button please!💎💎

Nightclub Owner
    JustKay & Liloze, thanks for the input. I made the changes.
    Last edited by ShibuyaCloth; 01-19-15 at 01:55 AM.
    Castle Story "Tome of Knowledge", visit for: Interactive Map, Inventory Cards, Detailed Inventory, and more...

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by ShibuyaCloth View Post
    JustKay & Liloze, thanks for the input. I made the changes.
    You are welcome, great job you are doing with the nuggets Glad I could help
    💎💎Gem confirmation button please!💎💎

Rhino Keeper
    During timed events, requesting neighbors will yield a maximum of 20 responses a day.
    Is 20 the absolute limit per day, or is it 20 per request quest? I ask because I have two active quests now for bothering neighbors and I'm wondering if I need to wait on one or if I can get 20 healing potions and 20 hair samples in the same day.

Nightclub Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by PraxisOfGood View Post
    Is 20 the absolute limit per day, or is it 20 per request quest? I ask because I have two active quests now for bothering neighbors and I'm wondering if I need to wait on one or if I can get 20 healing potions and 20 hair samples in the same day.
    20 is the max so you'll have to pick which one you want to have completed first.
    Current games on queentina3 ID: Castle, Fairytale, Farm 2, RS 1, Diamond Quest. Games under this ID are named AppleBlossom.

Current game on 2tina ID: Castle only and goes by the name AppleBlossom2. I know, it isn't very original. Shut up!

I tip and run - don't ask me to write on your wall, as I won't. I don't expect you to write on mine. If you tip, great, if you don't, also great. Just answer my requests and I'll be happy.

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by PraxisOfGood View Post
    And never ask Stormie until after you have collected your 20 for the day. He counts against your 20, but will be 21 if you already have 20 for the day.

Nightclub Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by roguebee View Post
    And never ask Stormie until after you have collected your 20 for the day. He counts against your 20, but will be 21 if you already have 20 for the day.
    I never checked that, but Stormie ALWAY answers, that means I also do it last when I need 1-2 additional requests to close a quest.

Rhino Keeper
    I never checked that, but Stormie ALWAY answers, that means I also do it last when I need 1-2 additional requests to close a quest.
    I can confirm that is correct. Stormie ALWAYS answers, even if you are capped for the day.

Another neighbor-related issue, while the thread is revived, is how much you have to let neighbors buildings to gain a social level and how many hearts you lose per day. My neighbor policy is to drop anyone who gets down to zero stars, not because they are necessarily inactive but because they provably aren't petting my buildings as often as I'm petting theirs. But im assuming that it just takes a few minutes a day to maintain a one or two star rating here.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast