Thread: Discounting of Mystery Boxes

Discounting of Mystery Boxes

I wanted to start a new thread on this since I think this is a great idea and I would like to see TL discount more of their mystery boxes.

However I think that the Bundle Up box might not be the best box to experiment with though. It is normal to start discounting when we've passed the hump of a season to help clear seasonal stock to make way for new stock. Although in this case I think the real world rules may not apply in the FS world. I've seen many neighbours already decorating for Valentines day! So the Bundle Up box is now on sale just as many players are packing up their winter displays. Based on this logic, it would make sense to discount older Valentines day boxes instead, or other up and coming seasonal or special events. I can see RS are doing this when they released the Future Box (?) to tie in with Back to the Future and now the Tea Set (?) which has a bunny in it and looks spring\easter themed.

On top of this, based off the comments on this forum leading up to BF and Xmas (I spend too much time on this forum >_< ) it was clear that many people were very interested in getting the Coat Dress Display. I think I only saw one person who said they wanted the first prize Winter Boots display. TL was kind enough to make the Coat Dress Display available for sale only a few weeks ago, which means that the anyone who wanted the most popular item in the box would have gotten as many of it as they would want already. TL would actually have had more success selling discounted Bundle Up boxes next Xmas when more new people would have started playing and everyone starts redecorating for xmas again.

Because of those reasons, I think discounted sales of the Bundle Up box might not be reflective of the potential windfall TL might have when discounting boxes. Even if the Bundle Up box doesn't really sell on discount, I implore TL to try again with a different box. One with items that haven't been available on sale recently and that is more in line with what people are decorating for right now, like Valentines day or Easter.

What is everyone else's thoughts? What boxes would you like to see discounted or brought back?
    Bye Attachment 67493
    Dble12win & 24win streak! -No$Spent!
    DragonS LB trophies (1crystl,51gld,27s,4b) Attachment 67493
    FantasyS LB trophies! (45gld,7s,4b) Attachment 54914

Crystl Trophy Shoplist:
    350m coins,23m food,18 10x boost,13k gld

2314Gld+BoostBreedWkend+DmdTmpl=
    Valint,Achlls,Helios,CrwnJwl,Quasr,Dmd-PrsmX3,Angl,Gld,Mercry&Crusadr
    My Rainbow Attachment 36684

My FashionS boutiques!
    -Beach Esplanade Attachment 35793 @JustKay
    -Fashion First gym Attachment 35795
    -Made in Meiji-era okiya Attachment 35794 @KayJust

BlossomPicnicAttachment 35799
    Monster!Attachment 36956

Executive Chef
    I think they may have started with the Bundle Up box because it might be discount inured. Not sure about that, though.
    Sometimes, you just gotta shake your head, so you won't pop off at the mouth.

#sometimesifeellikeanupdatelesschild

Not adding neighbors at this time. All requests will be declined.
    ❤️Love ya, IsisGarden (Fashion Story Moderator)
    Ft Support Help: Contact Storm8 through support.storm8.com

Executive Chef
    Some players (like me) like to plan ahead. In real life, I buy my discounted summer clothes after the summer season is over so it's normally towards winter, and vice versa for winter clothes. I purchase these in time for the next summer and vice versa for winter. I've already had enough goes for the Bundle Up box, but if I hadn't, I would have been likely spent up on that box while its discounted now in time for this coming winter. It's not always about what's coming up soon, but sometimes, what's coming up much much later. When the Halloween updates came late last year, some players decided to not purchase them because it was already too close to Halloween, and they were 'over it'. But what about Halloween next year? I guess I always try to think of what i will do this time next year, and it's always good to have existing content ready for display rather than constantly waiting for the current updates.
    I play Bakery Story & Fashion Story.
    I have too many neighbours now so
    ALL NEIGHBOUR REQUESTS FROM NOW ON WILL BE DECLINED.
    I DO NOT TIP so please DON'T tip me if you expect a tip back.

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by JustKay View Post
    I've seen many neighbours already decorating for Valentines day! So the it would make sense to discount older Valentines day boxes instead, or other up and coming seasonal or special events.
    Actually from a business perspective, it doesn't make sense to do that. Why? Because the people who are decorating for Valentine's Day are more likely desperate for more content above what they already have, and therefore are more likely to be willing to pay full price for the current/older Valentine's boxes.

It's the same as when it's freezing and you don't own any coats and you're desperate for a coat. Are you likely to wait til the shops discount coats or would you be more likely to buy a coat now at full price because you really need/want it?
    I play Bakery Story & Fashion Story.
    I have too many neighbours now so
    ALL NEIGHBOUR REQUESTS FROM NOW ON WILL BE DECLINED.
    I DO NOT TIP so please DON'T tip me if you expect a tip back.

Quote Originally Posted by filochick1982 View Post
    Actually from a business perspective, it doesn't make sense to do that. Why? Because the people who are decorating for Valentine's Day are more likely desperate for more content above what they already have, and therefore are more likely to be willing to pay full price for the current/older Valentine's boxes.

It's the same as when it's freezing and you don't own any coats and you're desperate for a coat. Are you likely to wait til the shops discount coats or would you be more likely to buy a coat now at full price because you really need/want it?
    I do understand the logic, but if it was all about the money then why have a discounted box at all. They also put a number of valentines themed items on sale over Xmas & Boxing day so I honestly believe there's been a genuine shift from monetising FS to making it fun and affordable to play again. It is "old stock" after all so any money they make is pure profit.

It just seemed like they picked one of the worst boxes to trial, dooming the concept. It didn't have to be a valentines day box, but any other box would have been better than a really old box that had it's most popular item out for sale a few weeks ago (and at least once more before that).

Fashion Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by JustKay View Post
    I do understand the logic, but if it was all about the money then why have a discounted box at all. They also put a number of valentines themed items on sale over Xmas & Boxing day so I honestly believe there's been a genuine shift from monetising FS to making it fun and affordable to play again. It is "old stock" after all so any money they make is pure profit.

It just seemed like they picked one of the worst boxes to trial, dooming the concept. It didn't have to be a valentines day box, but any other box would have been better than a really old box that had it's most popular item out for sale a few weeks ago (and at least once more before that).
    They put it on sale so people are more tempted to buy it. The same reason real shops put the coats on sale right AFTER winter, to sell them. No one puts the items in high demand on sale to make more money, items in low demand go on sale. This box is in very, very low demand, as you yourself explained. It is actually the best box for them to put on sale to make more money.

Also, this game has new content so it must still have a staff. I imagine a staff of more than one person too, that need to be paid. Thay probably also have a server just for this game that needs maintaining, and probably a building to work in, though they may share it they take up space. I just mean, it isn't like this game is running for free! I bet it has a much higher cost to produce all that new content than you realize.

They want us happy and to be having fun because it makes them money when they have happy customers. Hence the rollercoaster of price adjustments they went through. Probably trying to see doing what made them the most money, and this model worked best.

So the information on what people buy in the game must be valuable to them, I'm sure they have that data. So all of a sudden, no one is spending any money on this one box. Someone has the smart idea of discounting it. Now MORE people will be buying from that box than were previously, they made it more popular and look, everyone loves them more and is suddenly more willing to part with their money again, too! Brilliant if you ask me.....

I don't expect TL to put new in-demand items on discount. However, just about any box in the the entire history of FS would have had a better chance of selling better at discount than this one given it's average items and the recent sale of it's most popular Coat Dress Display (IMO the only item worth trying for).

Brick and mortar stores hold clearance sales like you mentioned to drawn down stock. They can chose to either pay $40 more to keep an item in storage for a year, or slash the price by $20 to offload it now even if there is little to no demand. They are losing money if they don't have that sale. Seeing as digital goods have no storage costs, TL can't really justify the box selection based on this. Like @jewelfang mentioned, it seems to be purely based on the fact that nobody seems to want to buy this box (for good reason). I'd also like to point out that the reason's I suggested for the box not selling are not it's price, but the fact that everyone's already bought it's better items. To follow the analogy given, it would be like trying to get people to buy more extra coats just because they're discounted... and yes I am aware that could still happen. Many boutique owners seem to appreciate symmetry and I'm sure some of the big spenders just need any accuse to spend their gem stockpiles. Given the extreme collector mentality I've encountered in DS and CS players, TL could put a sneeze on a tissue on sale in FS for gems and still make money off it

It's not about getting stuff for free either. I have spent real money in FS. It's feedback about maximising sales and player\buyer satisfaction. TL can take it (if they want me to spend) or leave it. I just didn't want my voice to get lost in an update thread. They already have few enough forum posters on this forum already. My primary goal wasn't about dissing TL, it was about letting them know that if they don't get any significant sales of the Bundle Up box, there are good reasons for that, and that they shouldn't give up on discounting boxes and should maybe experiment with a different box. Maybe one that someone suggests on this thread... hint hint.

If this discounted Bundle Up box is TL flogging (in the british sense) what to them is a dead horse (a box that has stopped selling), then I feel even more sorry about the state of FS's future than I have in the last few months.

I would suggest maybe the magic box or secret bag. Personally in 3 years of playing I think the magic box opened once I might open it more at a discount rate. If were talking really old discount boxs. The cowgirl box I've never opened and still wouldn't even discounted. Just nothing in it appeals to me. Really I like the idea of the Valetine boxs would be my vote. Yes I've opened both but would more IF TL chose to discount one or both.

A few of neighbours that don't open many boxs. Would appreciate trys at a discount for the box I can't recall which one that has the fasinator display. And the Victorian box for the bycicle rider.
    Last edited by jojopeanut; 01-14-15 at 10:31 PM.