Thread: Change Skin Color of Avatar

Host(ess)

Change Skin Color of Avatar

I'm not sure if this has been posted before. I looked through the first few pages but didn't see anything. Apologies if this is a repeat.

My daughter plays CastleStory and adores the game, but she's always been a bit sad that the available avatars (male or female) are all fair-skinned, and not reflective of her own dark skin.

Thus, I was wondering perhaps if there could be a selection of skintones available (like 'fair,' 'medium,' 'dark')? And if it was possible to make it as easily changeable as it is to change one's gender? Just in an effort to help the game feel more inclusive.

It would also make it slightly easier to quickly discern between neighbors, as they wouldn't all be so similar.

Rhino Keeper
    I'm with you on this! Fashion Story and Home Design has several avatars to choose from so why not CS and DS? Can't be that hard to implement?
    Please TL, we would really appreciate it!

I, too, am with you on this. It should have been done a long time ago. Thank you, TL, in advance!

Fashion Designer
    I know this can be a sensitive topic, and I'm certainly not speaking for Team Lava. But the other games, your avatar is actually representing YOU, the player. In Castle Story, our avatar is not representing the player, but a ruler of a medieval kingdom, quite likely of royal blood, and such people tended to be rather pale looking in general.

On top of that, there would have to be a whole new set of graphics made up for all the dialogs, personalized with all the various choices, etc. This avatar is much more ingrained into the gameplay and the story than other avatars that represent the player in other games.

That said, having only these two choices does make your neighbor list rather boring to look at with only the same two faces over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by jimboser View Post
    I know this can be a sensitive topic, and I'm certainly not speaking for Team Lava. But the other games, your avatar is actually representing YOU, the player. In Castle Story, our avatar is not representing the player, but a ruler of a medieval kingdom, quite likely of royal blood, and such people tended to be rather pale looking in general.

On top of that, there would have to be a whole new set of graphics made up for all the dialogs, personalized with all the various choices, etc. This avatar is much more ingrained into the gameplay and the story than other avatars that represent the player in other games.

That said, having only these two choices does make your neighbor list rather boring to look at with only the same two faces over and over.
    Point well taken about the avatar being a part of the game narrative. That said, however, many players, I presume, have given their kingdoms fictional names to create fictional kingdoms. Could there be room for imagination where our kingdoms are more diverse in representation?

This is, of course, not to reject your idea about historical accuracy, etc. I just wanted to support those who would like to have this option, as I am sure you would. (I personally like my avatar--her facial expressions, especially when she's angry, etc., are timeless.)

Anyway, happy gaming, folks!