Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many mathoms do you have?

Executive Chef

How many mathoms do you have?

(Mathoms, from The Lord of the Rings: things owned by hobbits, which they have no use for. They did not throw it away, instead were gifting each other.)

I wonder what type and how many "mathoms" do you have in Castle Story?

My definition for mathoms in Castle Story: Things, that:
    - are (really) rare drops
    - have no use*
    - are still achievable**

* "Have no use" means that they are drops which never had any use in CS (such as Purple Hides), or were used in some quests (like boar pelt), but after quest completed, you can not use it anymore, just collecting.
    This also means, that drops still in use (such as Golden Apples, which are really rare, but you can still use in a trade for gems) are not mathoms.

** "Are still achievable" means that you can still get/find them, so I exclude from mathoms things you cannot have more (such as items you can craft during special quest, but not after quests, or drops you can find until special period/quest, but not after it - for example pyre crystals).

Here is my current list:

With some thoughts:
    - not sure large diamond still drops from mines, it may be excluded from mathoms
    - I completed sister sister, the 20 inscriptions are pluses
    - I can not remember where and how I got super yummi pies, and are they still achiveable
    Visit my main island: ZX71

Executive Chef
    I'm only level 37, so have a few, purple hides, big ruby, made a couple extra purple scarves from the last quest, 5 mysterious venom I believe the ruby and mv come later in the quest line though.

Nightclub Owner
    + Boar Pelts are drops from the Feral lands adventure (this is a rare drop), used during the Kaz arc quests. Could be used again when he comes back.
    + Super Yummy Pie was craftable IIRC during a quest
    + The Skunku-Pie is just used once during one of the Fortunes

The only items that were really never used are the Purple pelts.
    Castle Story "Tome of Knowledge", visit for: Interactive Map, Inventory Cards, Detailed Inventory, and more...

Executive Chef
    Hi Shibuya, as I described upper, the "have no use" criteria means that items which: 1. never used or 2. used in particular quests, but after the quest is over, you still can get (collect) them, but cannot use (which means you can not deplete your inventory).
    For this reason I do not count golden apples as mathoms, since you can always use in in a trade (forgot name) where you get 5 gems for particular golden items.
    Also, theroretically all these items can have a future use (perhaps thats why TL left them ingame), so we may use sometimes those gems, or boar pelt, or perhaps purple pelt can have a use somewhen. Still, currently they have no use, none of them.
    (I should remove Super Yummy pie coz it is not achievable now).

Anyway, you may build up a new quest to yourz, like maximize out mathoms or so.
    (Umm, it would be "insaner than insane" to get to 99 Skunku-pies i think..)

Nightclub Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by Anyuszko View Post
    Anyway, you may build up a new quest to yourz, like maximize out mathoms or so.
    (Umm, it would be "insaner than insane" to get to 99 Skunku-pies i think..)
    I have a name for a goal beyond insane:: Miracle. Yes, 99 Skunku-pies or Purple Hide would be really insane. Those are so highly random that you have no clue if you can reach it. For now I have 28 Purple Hides and 5 Skunku-Pies.

I believe the narrowest and best definition of a mathom will limit the items too:
    + Purple Hide
    + Skunku-Pie

Unknown yet, but possible in the future are the Fearie Materials:
    + Block
    + Beam
    + Paste
    Castle Story "Tome of Knowledge", visit for: Interactive Map, Inventory Cards, Detailed Inventory, and more...

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by ShibuyaCloth View Post
    I have a name for a goal beyond insane:: Miracle.
    Umm I did not find it in your thread, or should it be added later?

Only way to reach 99 Skunkupies is to make as much trades as you can. (the Belladonna one) This needs you to collect rat tails (which is painful, 15 each trades) also living woods. And is still a rare drop from adventure.
    I am not sure if the other Belladonna trade (plants) gives Skunkupie, I did not notice if I got any from them.

Faerie materials are now mathoms as well. Still I think they will be used shortly, lets say from the mathoms they are likely the first what turns to be useful. (At least I hope. I have 15-20 each of them)

Executive Chef
    Does feral magic pouches fit in on the list?

Farm Supplier
    How about adamant?

and Mysterious Venom..
    Last edited by iAyun; 09-16-14 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Add Mysterious Venom

Executive Chef
    Roguebee, iAyun: yup, all of these are rares and not in use after particular quests.

Nightclub Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by Anyuszko View Post
    Roguebee, iAyun: yup, all of these are rares and not in use after particular quests.
    Well you need Adamant for the deep mines.... I would not put it in the mathoms list, it is a craftable resource. I have 95 in my inventory, not so rare anymore. Mysterious Venom is more debatable. feral magic could fit.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast