Thread: Storm Sphynx- 9-9-2014

Farm Supplier
    Got it, thunderhawk x thunderhawk, 21 hrs

Executive Chef
    Did it take a lot of tries
    Cuz it took my 6 tries to get the rare one
    Not sure if I should move on to breed other missings or still try for this

Executive Chef
    PM/ Profile |Gamerologizm Fan Link in Forum (previously known as Supreme Dynasty) | Transfer Method
    Dragon Egg Chart Mostly updated (I've given up on Dragon because most Dragons are unobtainable for me; but still update when I can when I'm not scrambling with RS & BS to complete their goals.)
    Restaurant & Bakery Completely Updated!
    IDs: Sehana (main)

I didn't have any problems with it. This one actually started breeding the first attempt I had (mixing the panda and lightening leopard). But with some super rares, I've had ridiculous luck. Others elude me no matter what I do (or so it seems). I'd say it's worth a few tries, but if you' re not successful with this critter, go for other breeds instead.

Rhino Keeper
    Woohoo for my first try of getting 21hrs in the den now, breeding using daredevil and planther.

Rhino Keeper
    I have one in the den with Thunderhawk x Firefox

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by kita_drisk View Post
    I didn't have any problems with it. This one actually started breeding the first attempt I had (mixing the panda and lightening leopard). But with some super rares, I've had ridiculous luck. Others elude me no matter what I do (or so it seems). I'd say it's worth a few tries, but if you' re not successful with this critter, go for other breeds instead.
    My luck goes the same way. Some rares and super rares pop out the first try, and many later tries. Jackalopes for me breed like, well, rabbits, lol. I've lost count of how many of them I've sold, despite them being "rare" and knowing other people have trouble getting just one. I have 3 magmacores (super rare), but I can't get a single grassquatch or vinotaur to save my life, although I've been trying for both since the game was released.

The electric-fire combo gave me a daredevil first try, then another soon after. But for the nature-fire combos, I can't get anything but thunderhawks. Note however that other than once, my attempts at a rare or super rare nature-electric have been using 4 elements in the den, in my impotent attempts at a unicorn, while maximizing the chance of getting something I do not yet have when I inevitably fail at the unicorn again. Yet thunderhawks #2, 3 AND 4 come out of my electric-nature-fire-earth combos, so my RNG is picking those 2 elements out of the 4 I put in regularly... just not budging on the rarity. And I change up the particular animals I pair almost every time.
    Last edited by zenobia42; 09-10-14 at 10:34 AM.

Fashion Designer
    Not as easy as the other ones for me but sitting pretty on my nest using Eagle Beagle 10 x Eagle Beagle 4

Still missing Emerald and will unless there is a gem sale or a critter sale, and as I caught one gem sale that lasted about ten minutes it seemed shortly after this game was made available to me, I don't expect them to be happening here. That is a nice aspect of CS, the gem sales that you can just about count on one or two a week. This is a different type of game though, so I am not holding out for gem sales. So short of a sale, I don't expect to be joining the Full Album Club anytime soon.

It no longer is such a big deal that I haven't bred an Emerald Dragon, because I am one of the fortunate ones who finally bred a Unicorn and a nice herd of Pegasi. This game is really growing on me. Thanks TL for keeping something always available, even if it is very expensive expansions. It is something to work toward. These expansions also allow for mining activities which help with food and income, and allow Rune collection. If you haven't noticed, as soon as you expand you can begin mining for Runes again for your next expansion. There is no longer the waste of explosives that are earned but unsaved in addition to selling an animal that you have waited a day or more to hatch for $100. Great move TL!

This makes this game move along at an interesting pace for me and there are more than adequate new animal additions to keep me interested. The decorations are a wonderful addition! Thanks for those as well TL!

I am happy now that I have places to go and things to do, and with the Peg Air Force in Lieu of an Emerald I am making enough income to really enjoy playing!

I feel for those still waiting for some income production, because this is the most expensive game I play, in terms of in game coins required to do anything. But I can do it, barely, and I can keep playing (yes I am buying some gems). What started out as a lame game with few possibilities is beginning to bloom for me. I urge you, if you still have no big income producers, like a Unicorn or Emerald Dragon or a flock of Ultra Rares, to keep trying. Especially now that this creature has arrived on our doorsteps.

This new Storm Sphinx seems to be obtainable, and while it is new so we haven't seen the production rates, the breed time is the longest so far outside of the over four day wait for the two nearly impossibles. I see this guy (or gal) as a sort of bridge for those of us who need income but aren't winning the FFS Lottery, which in my opinion is what it now takes to breed a Unicorn or Emerald Dragon.

I think we are going to end up loving this one, who is obtainable but not too easy, and I suspect the Sphinx will provide the income needed to keep up with the game as it is blooming. TL was wise in releasing several Electric/Nature breeds prior to releasing this Sphinx because it gives us plenty of options to breed and I doubt there will be any who can say they are missing an element to breed the Sphinx as we who want to breed an Emerald must have a Unicorn first (at least this is my understanding, but I could be wrong).

I hope I am right is seeing this Sphinx as an obtainable and affordable alternative to those who need not be named.

I am also very happy TL, with the addition of affordable and very attractive decor, as well as a poll and questions for suggestions. It knocks down that wall that was there in the beginning between TL and the players of a new (for many of us) game. Thanks!

Is anyone as curious as I am about what this Sphinx will breed with to produce next? I am hoping that there will be more nice surprises in store beginning with this winged one. I suspect it will be special in more ways than having the longest hatch time outside of the Gemstones. I hope there is great potential in this egg!

Fashion Designer
    Lee, I don't think anyone will have trouble loving any Electric super, if we could all just breed one. A long breed time is always welcome if it means you've bred a much sought after animal.

In some ways, breeding for the Sphinx may be more frustrating than Unicorn hunting:
    1. You do NOT encounter 44-hour common fails when breeding for Unicorn.
    2. Fails when breeding Unicorn include about 20 different animals usually, so there's a fair share of nice ones.
    3. Many of us are invariably drawing one and only one fail repeatedly as we try for Sphinx. I'm so disgusted at Thunderhawk by now that I've almost forgotten that there's the Eagle Beagle which I haven't bred yet either. LOL At least you had 2 Beagles to go Garden-dancing together.

Electric supers will certainly be the new elite. I expect TeamLava have coded them to "maintain their rarity" and "ensure balance." You know, balance between those with and those without. Not "equality among" -- "balance between."
    It's perfectly okay to NOT know something; and one is no less worthy for admitting this. The wisest seeker is she who knows that she knows nothing!

Fashion Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by SANDSCApe View Post
    Lee, I don't think anyone will have trouble loving any Electric super, if we could all just breed one. A long breed time is always welcome if it means you've bred a much sought after animal.

In some ways, breeding for the Sphinx may be more frustrating than Unicorn hunting:
    1. You do NOT encounter 44-hour common fails when breeding for Unicorn.
    2. Fails when breeding Unicorn include about 20 different animals usually, so there's a fair share of nice ones.
    3. Many of us are invariably drawing one and only one fail repeatedly as we try for Sphinx. I'm so disgusted at Thunderhawk by now that I've almost forgotten that there's the Eagle Beagle which I haven't bred yet either. LOL At least you had 2 Beagles to go Garden-dancing together.

Electric supers will certainly be the new elite. I expect TeamLava have coded them to "maintain their rarity" and "ensure balance." You know, balance between those with and those without. Not "equality among" -- "balance between."
    Sand, you are the breeding expert so I bow to your expertise. I was unaware of the large group drawing only one fail after repeatedly trying for the Sphinx. I was drawing many different fails. It certainly makes a difference if there is a built in tendency toward only one fail no matter the breeding. I fortunately did not encounter that issue.

I was basing my comments solely on the few initial pages I saw here in this thread along with my own experience. I saw people reporting they were breeding the Sphinx, where originally you were the only one I saw breeding the Unicorn

And with a small investment in gems, I was able to breed this cutie. On the other hand, I had a heck of a time getting the Unicorn and have failed so many times trying for the Emerald that I have a ten member Peg Air Force. As Pegs are rare themselves, even with my admitted luck in breeding them, I was seeing this Sphinx as a bridge between the Gemstones and the Elemental Ultra Rares. You know the breeding stats though, and I can't balance my own checkbook, so I was basing my comments on the fact that people, including myself seemed to be breeding the Sphinx without standing on our heads and praying to the glitch gods that we would stumble upon some secret method of breeding them and breed them in secret droves before TL caught on or someone spilled the beans. I didn't have to step on one bean to get my Sphinx, but then again I spent some gems failing, which I used the higher paying fails to replace my lower paying fails, which allowed me to follow someone's lead of breeding two like animals successfully, so I quickly evolved a high ranking fail, an Eagle Beagle or Beagle Eagle, I can never remember their names, and I threw them together and Bob's your uncle, I got my egg. No magic, not cheap, but I did it on release day, within the reach of most of us with the exception of those who are brave enough to be playing for free, and without going totally broke.

I would suggest that Sand is the expert here, and I am the opposite, so listen to Sand. I am a beginner at these types of games and I see the flaw in my reasoning already because I speed hatched my egg and if this was a bridge between the Gemstones and the Arcane Elements, it should earn roughly half of what the Unicorn did at the same level, and it is much closer to my Pegs than to a bridge between the Elements and the Gems. Sorry folks, Sand has the right of it. I just dumped mine in with my Peg Fliers and while it will maybe earn a bit more per animal, it is certainly not a missing link as I was hoping that would allow those with neither a Unicorn nor an Emerald to achieve a modicum of equity with those who "Have".

I agree Sand, this is not equity among, but at best it is balance between, and when I look at the earning of the Sphinx I am disappointed that for the long hatch time there doesn't seem to be a greater difference in earnings. Then again, I have a learning disability in math and the statistics which Sand understands and is so good at when dealing with this game are far beyond my capability, so the earnings may be equitable, but it just seems to me they are not. I would go with Sand's observations on this, and ignore me, sorry.

I am not sure my Electric Super will be an Elite unless it is required to be part of some future special breeding. In itself, it is not a big enough overachiever to convince me to risk Sand's fail rates to try for a second. Once again I was lucky.

My other opinions still stand. I am much happier now that TL is moving the game along rather than opening up one or two possible expansions then stopping the game. As long as it is progressing, either having battles or active mining and expansion possibilities I am not as likely to be as frustrated with it as I was in the beginning. And I do like the decorations.

There is room for improvement, of course, but TL will not improve it all at once because then some of their staff would likely be out of a job and you can't blame folks for wanting job security. I was pretty sure in the beginning that they would need to either move or be out of a job. They moved which gave us a playable game.

I am still unhappy with this built in class stratification between the haves and the have nots. I am a lucky oddity, hanging by myself with my Air Force, somewhere between the two classes of players. Again, Sand you will need to help me out with this, but it seems to me that as this game matures, there will be an inevitable widening between the Haves and Have Nots because there doesn't seem to be a built in cost of living raise. In fact we have the opposite when wages were spread among 15 from 10 levels. It seems to me that as time passes, those who do eventually get their Gemstones, which I believe most will if they continue to try, but the gap between the affordability of items increases with each addition, in other words it costs more each time to expand, but those who are Haves will be able to make the income and keep up with the game, while the distance between those at the leading edge of the game and those who take a week or more to earn the million $ to expand a block seems like it would grow bigger with every new and more expensive addition to the game.

So, does anyone see this happening, or am I worrying about something that isn't going to happen? If it does though, does anyone have advice for those who feel they are being left behind? Because while now I am sort of hanging out here alone, all it will take is a requirement to breed anything with an Emerald Dragon to get the next new hybrids, and I will plummet back to the Have Nots overnight. My income is not guaranteed as that of the Emerald Dragon, because I can't breed my Air Force which takes up habitat space which will become more difficult to come by as we get a larger number of animals.

Although I am doing well at the moment, which class will I end up in? Thanks Sand, for setting me straight on this before I led too many people down the wrong path.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast