Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about a Chanukah quest?

Executive Chef

How about a Chanukah quest?

I'm sure the developers are already working hard on Christmas, but please spare a thought for Chanukah. There are so many possibilities - fry latkes in the kitchen, forge a menorah and ask neighbors for candles, play a dreidel game, and bring in a Maccabee for a joust for example. I can always hope...

Rhino Keeper
    I would love that!!!

Executive Chef
    It's Hanukkah btw and I would love that too!

Executive Chef
    What a great idea! And it could last 8 days, with a different mini-quest and prize each day!

Executive Chef
    I think I've only run into one "device" game that recognized Chanukah and that one stopped updating a couple of years ago. The eight days of mini-quests is a great idea!

FYI "Chanukah" is the traditional spelling; I've been spelling it that way for my whole life as taught by my dad who was a Rabbi. Per Time magazine,
    Hanukkah. Or is it Chanukah? Or Hannukah? Sometimes getting the proper spelling of a Hebrew word transliterated into English gets tricky, especially when far more than a trio of options prove technically correct. But if you don?t fall into the Hebrew-scholar category, what should you do?

With so many ways to correctly get the point of Hanukkah across, the proper spelling really turns into a matter of preference and mass appeal. If you want to fit in with the crowd, opt for the Hanukkah spelling, now the most widely used of the choices.

However, don?t forget Chanukah, the second most often used spelling and the favorite of traditionalists. Just how did Hanukkah?s spelling become so popular and oust Chanukah atop the list? You can blame it on the ch sound being similar to the H sound, making Hanukkah a bit easier for English speakers to understand the pronunciation.

As little as about five years ago, the top spelling choice on the Internet was Chanukah. But times are changing, even in the way the Jewish holiday of lights is celebrated and understood, and the Hanukkah spelling has gone mainstream. So, if you like to slightly buck the trend and go old school, Chanukah is your spelling.

With both correct, and about 14 others technically correct too, rest assured that you?ve got a pretty good shot at getting the spelling right. Whether you?re in tune with the latest spelling trend will be an entirely different story.

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by GiselleX16 View Post
    I think I've only run into one "device" game that recognized Chanukah and that one stopped updating a couple of years ago. The eight days of mini-quests is a great idea!

FYI "Chanukah" is the traditional spelling; I've been spelling it that way for my whole life as taught by my dad who was a Rabbi. Per Time magazine,
    I would love to see an end of the year celebration that takes all the major holidays into account. Christmas, Hanukkah, Yule, Kwanzaa, etc. That would be fab! It could even be like St. Patricks day, where we find all kinds of trinkets and trade them for STUFF! Need stuff!
    Proud member of the Thuakie Sword Society. Close and personal friend of The Great Thuan.

Executive Chef
    The only problem with this idea is the final (8th day) prize would likely be a dradle decoration... that is 5x5 squares.

(Hey, the giants who hang out in the 50' high pergola under the 80' festival spire need something to play with, right? Other than twirling the wizard school on their fingertips like a basketball.)

Executive Chef
    In truth, Chanukah isn't that major of a holiday but I don't think a Yom Kippur quest would be much fun. Change the cathedral into a synagogue and spend the whole day there? And don't go near the kitchen...

Rhino Keeper
    Too funny!!!

In truth, Chanukah isn't that major of a holiday but I don't think a Yom Kippur quest would be much fun. Change the cathedral into a synagogue and spend the whole day there? And don't go near the kitchen...

Executive Chef
    LMAO! Yeah, Yom Kippur would not be a "fun" holiday to have a quest based on. Though it would be really funny if they didn't say anything, but on that day if you tried to collect anything from the kitchen, Old Thomas says, "Tisk, tisk" in Yiddish and won't let you have it until the holiday is over. And changing the cathedral into a synagogue for the day - that's so clever! They could model it after the really cool one on the corner of 55th and Lex in Manhattan. I used to work near there and see it every day and thought it was the most fanciful synagogue I'd ever seen. It would look perfect in our king/queendoms!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	central-synagogue_new-york-city.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	15342  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast