Page 11 of 101 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: Breeding Combos and Questions (Thread 1)

Fashion Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by zenobia42 View Post
    I mean, really? 16-hour effing fails?
    In DS there is a 24, two 20, a 17, a 16, a 14, and a bunch of 12 hour fails. I don't expect FFS to be any different. If you want the Storm Sphinx, better to breed it now before more animals with those types are released.
    Back after ~2 years off from games.

CS: Level 50. FFS: Level 136, with room to grow. Not playing DS anymore.

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by hugpete View Post
    In DS there is a 24, two 20, a 17, a 16, a 14, and a bunch of 12 hour fails. I don't expect FFS to be any different. If you want the Storm Sphinx, better to breed it now before more animals with those types are released.
    I just can't stand the thunderhawk fails. It may sound hard to believe, but at this point I would really actually rather never get the Sphinx than get even one more stupid Thunderhawk fail on my way there.

Quote Originally Posted by zenobia42 View Post
    I just can't stand the thunderhawk fails. It may sound hard to believe, but at this point I would really actually rather never get the Sphinx than get even one more stupid Thunderhawk fail on my way there.
    I fell exactly the same way about the cosmic pheonix. I really wanted it, but completely gave up with about my 14th firefox. I changed up all of my breeds regularly, between all ranges of levels, element chances, and rarity, but still continually failed. I just decided to give up. I decided then to just switch to the electric breeds, since I hadn't done so yet. Ended up a lot happier after that change.

Executive Chef
    My island is getting filled with bear string to get any supra rares (onyx or cosmic )
    5 bears and counting and more foxes than I can count sold almost all of them
    Was it hard for everyone like that
    Or just me

Executive Chef
    I don't have ox or Phoenix yet. But I have duplicates of some super rares. No unicorn yet very frustrating . I sold many armadillos, fox, rainguin and turtisle. When you least expect it then it could happen.

Farm Supplier
    My luck was awful at first and suddenly got better. My friend was landing rares and super rares left and right, and now she just gets commons. My lucky pair, aquatter and rampage has yielded me 7 rares out of 15 tries, which is pretty amazing. It's really odd, because rarity in the pair isn't supposed to matter. But I got a huge success rate from a rare/rare pair. Previously, 17 tries with turtisle and armadillo only gave commons.

Executive Chef
    I filled in TWO missing from my album in the last 2 days (rockodile and hedgehog)... of course, they were both just rares. I haven't gotten a new super in weeks. I got an 18 hour timer yesterday and went to sleep all excited and woke up to find it's a mammoth not an onyx ox. BUT at least my duplicate mammoth is a keeper, unlike the 3 duplicate plantlers I got trying for the hedgehog/grassquatch.

I am still missing 1 more rare (the spruce moose), and FIVE supers - the 3 electric supers, grassquatch, and onyx ox. And, of course, STILL at zero ultras.

So the blanks in my album are down to 8 again... for a few hours anyway, until they inevitably knock that back up to 10 or 11 in about 3 hours.
    Last edited by zenobia42; 09-26-14 at 08:38 AM.

Fashion Designer

Breeding For Bombs

I hate to admit I've been wrong. So I'm going to say that I'm BEGINNING to SUSPECT that MAYBE I MIGHT have been MISTAKEN; that PERHAPS there is something not at all random about the persistence of commons, scarcity of rares and incredible absence of supers coming out of the Gardens of mature forests.

I will always argue that even with a 99% chance of success, it is still theoretically possible to fail persistently and indefinitely. But the more improbable and implausible such a thing is, the harder it is to dismiss it happening so frequently and almost invariably. Difficult if not possible to accept it as random.

Stunned by the endless procession of Thunderhawks from a 4-element combo, I eventually surrendered and decided to never again put Electric & Nature together, even though that would mean giving up on Sphinx. (With 18 breeds missing, why worry about one?). But all I accomplished by doing that was to change the flavor of failure. A procession of OTHER commons ensued, ensuring that the No-Super-Since-Mid-August festival would continue unabated.

Now I HAVE bred some new animals since August, including a handful of rares -- Volcamel, Daredevil & Beagle. I think I may even have my first Rampage breeding in the Garden right now. Four rares. But predominantly, overwhelmingly, more insistently than normal -- COMMON DUPLICATES.

What's really happening here? It certainly isn't poor breeding techniques. We know exactly what elements to breed for the animals we are after. It's not for lack of trying; those of us with this problem play very frequently with back-to-back, almost non-stop breeding; even speed-breeding in some cases. Those with multiple accounts have also observed that the less developed forests are blessed with supers while the more advanced forests seem to have hit a drought. Is it coincidence? It certainly isn't anything we can prove.

I've seen claims that rarity and level have something to do with breeding success, but there is little to back up that claim, especially since every element family has to start off with commons. I've never bred with rares, supers or ultras unless I absolutely HAD to, because I want my better earners to stay in the habitats and have better fighters available for battles. While someone could say that's why I've had no super breeds since August, it doesn't explain how I managed to breed the supers and ultras from late July to late August. Breeding patterns have not changed; only breeding results.

Although I am certain that rarity and level have no weight in breeding, I'm going to use mature rares starting later today. I am sure it will make no difference in the super scarcity. But after the Electric-Water super is introduced today, I will pair Iciclaw & Daredevil until Tournament Tuesday. Lets see if a Magmacore, Lion, Terradactyl, Griffin or Super-Voltage Electric Eel emerges. I'm missing all except Griffin. I'll report back here with results.

Although something seems fishy about the whole thing, I'm not terribly bothered by it. I gave up on the idea of a complete album very early in the game. In spite of my occasional spike on luck, my breeding outcomes have been mostly lame, but I make it work for me with my strange ratios: 10 ultras, 7 supers, 15 rares and 49 commons beyond the many I've had to sell for lack of space. In contrast, the game has only 2 ultra breeds, and more rares than commons.

I'm not a gem purchaser so it makes no sense for me to talk about withholding my money from TeamLava. I enjoy the game, even if my breeding is a dismal operation. In Dragon Story, they produce about 15-20 new dragons each month, nearly half of which are unbreedable. Between Arena battles, Tournaments, Mining for dragon parts and World events, I get about 7-8 new dragons, and hardly any from my busy breeding den. I breed for bombs. Once in a blue moon, a nice surprise shows up from a lucky pair.

If my Fantasy Forest breeding turns out to be mostly for bomb production also, I can deal with that. There's still plenty to enjoy. This is not complacency; it's taking the free game for what it is.
    Last edited by SANDSCApe; 09-26-14 at 08:57 AM.
    It's perfectly okay to NOT know something; and one is no less worthy for admitting this. The wisest seeker is she who knows that she knows nothing!

Fashion Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by SANDSCApe View Post
    I've seen claims that rarity and level have something to do with breeding success, but there is little to back up that claim, especially since every element family has to start off with commons. I've never bred with rares, supers or ultras unless I absolutely HAD to, because I want my better earners to stay in the habitats and have better fighters available for battles. While someone could say that's why I've had no super breeds since August, it doesn't explain how I managed to breed the supers and ultras from late July to late August. Breeding patterns have not changed; only breeding results.

Although I am certain that rarity and level have no weight in breeding, I'm going to use mature rares starting later today. I am sure it will make no difference in the super scarcity. But after the Electric-Water super is introduced today, I will pair Iciclaw & Daredevil until Tournament Tuesday. Lets see if a Magmacore, Lion, Terradactyl, Griffin or Super-Voltage Electric Eel emerges. I'm missing all except Griffin. I'll report back here with results.
    Well blow me down! There was no Electric Eel or whatever, so I decided not to go with the Daredevil-Iciclaw combo after all. But I still wanted to disprove this parent rarity thing, so I went with Daredevil-Volcamel. They are making a 22-hour baby. I absolutely cannot believe it.
    It's perfectly okay to NOT know something; and one is no less worthy for admitting this. The wisest seeker is she who knows that she knows nothing!

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by SANDSCApe View Post
    Well blow me down! There was no Electric Eel or whatever, so I decided not to go with the Daredevil-Iciclaw combo after all. But I still wanted to disprove this parent rarity thing, so I went with Daredevil-Volcamel. They are making a 22-hour baby. I absolutely cannot believe it.
    Awesome!! Congrats
    Main id: squinn1981