Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enjoying the game beyond 'getting and spending'.

Rhino Keeper

Enjoying the game beyond 'getting and spending'.

I first wanted to post a triumph--going a week without gem seizure, but then i just lost 10 gems in the mine today. Sigh. I don't buy gems nor intentionally use them, but I estimate I've (inadvertently) lost 110.
    This leads me to my post title--how to enjoy the game beyond 'getting and spending'.
    First, ignore gems. For the most part they buy things you're encouraged to want, but not need. Real farmers are patient and unless absolutely necessary, hate debt.
    Second, think of this as a working farm that workers must WORK. We may push a button to load the silo, the barn, the delivery plane, the railway. Stuff has to get there. In laying out the farm, keep pathways open; allow space to get into pens to care for them and collect; allow space for harvesting and transporting crops.
    Third, the farm is building towards a commercial/tourist clientele as well. California's mega-park Knott's Berry Farm started as a roadside stand. Provide parking by the shop! Make the crafting/production facilities tour friendly. Consider the country cottage as a great B and B near the RR station. Keep decorations modest and visually unifying.
    Fourth, remember the farm family. They need privacy, a place of their own.
    Fifth, remember the title of this game--Farm STORY. Have a story in your farm design, not just 'get more'.
    By the way, I'm at level 42 with a bit less than 6 months in.
    In accord with above philosophy, I'd be happy to share tips on money and acquisition management if anyone should be interested.

Fashion Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by amiableal View Post
    I first wanted to post a triumph--going a week without gem seizure, but then i just lost 10 gems in the mine today. Sigh. I don't buy gems nor intentionally use them, but I estimate I've (inadvertently) lost 110.
    This leads me to my post title--how to enjoy the game beyond 'getting and spending'.
    First, ignore gems. For the most part they buy things you're encouraged to want, but not need. Real farmers are patient and unless absolutely necessary, hate debt.
    Second, think of this as a working farm that workers must WORK. We may push a button to load the silo, the barn, the delivery plane, the railway. Stuff has to get there. In laying out the farm, keep pathways open; allow space to get into pens to care for them and collect; allow space for harvesting and transporting crops.
    Third, the farm is building towards a commercial/tourist clientele as well. California's mega-park Knott's Berry Farm started as a roadside stand. Provide parking by the shop! Make the crafting/production facilities tour friendly. Consider the country cottage as a great B and B near the RR station. Keep decorations modest and visually unifying.
    Fourth, remember the farm family. They need privacy, a place of their own.
    Fifth, remember the title of this game--Farm STORY. Have a story in your farm design, not just 'get more'.
    By the way, I'm at level 42 with a bit less than 6 months in.
    In accord with above philosophy, I'd be happy to share tips on money and acquisition management if anyone should be interested.
    I would be interested in hearing how people play this game do u make everything u need discard the deliveries in which u don't have the means to make the items do u buy from the farm stand ? If so only things u can't make ? Do u do the train deliveries ? Are they worth it? I have a terrible time trying to save money cuz I don't have all the right buildings yet and buy stuff to do deliveries but then that slows me down from getting the buildings. Would love advice and input on how others play this game .

Rhino Keeper
    In the beginning levels, I was lucky to end the day with more than I'd started with (often in the 1000 coin range) because I bought from the shop (at a loss) simply to participate in buying and selling. I kept track of what I needed most regularly to buy (Early on, juice and pizza). Then I started ruthlessly using delete on orders so that I wouldn't stay in the hole. It slows you down (the system is like a Vegas dealer--the house has the edge; their algorithms know what production facilities you have and orders are calibrated to that, but you can say no: the delete button). I aimed for the cheapest machine first and saved for that. And so it's been since. My best friend remains the delete button, especially as at upper levels where items, for example, truffled or water garden sushi are absurd costs.

Basic economic principle: do not buy high and sell low!!

Second, do not invest in more than you need, even if it seems attainable because at relative low cost. At level 42, I still have only the basic four of chickens, pigs, cows, sheep and only one feed mill, one windmill. Occasionally, I may need to buy wool or bacon, only rarely milk, and never eggs. But I put that up against how much I'd have to buy before it could possibly match the cost of a pen and more animals.

Resist the MORE message! Another example: I visit farms with virtual plantations of ash trees (they're only 100 coins each), but useless to you without saws.

Early on, I tended to sell expansion documents or tools if I were short of barn storage. Bad move. Expand silo and barn whenever you can, and that means hanging onto needed tools, and for expansion, the docs.

Others will have different experiences and advice. This has worked for me. I could offer other bits on loading machines, pros and cons of railway deliveries,
    which need expanded slots, where to expand to give you choices, etc., etc. and many might contest my way of having done it, but those specifics can wait for another post.

Fashion Designer
    Thank u. This helps cuz currently I'm always going back cuz of items I don't have. I guess I'll need to use the delete button more !

Fashion Designer
    Use the side shop to sell, try to get at least 6 slots and keep it full of items. I find that having 1 or 2 items in each slot sells faster. When people have a lot of neighbors and are shopping the higher the number of slots filled are first in line and get more lookers therefore more items sell faster if this makes sense. Selling this way has increased my coin production.

Fashion Designer
    Ok thanks. I will try that. I tend to only use the stand when I'm ought of room. Great. Love the input

Fashion Designer
    I just got to the train and I was wondering do u fill it all up? If so I'm assuming u must have to buy the items. If u don't fill up the whole train do u still get a reward ? I mean unless u are at a really high level then maybe u don't have to buy the items but I'm not even close. Lol.

Rhino Keeper
    For the train you do not need to fill all orders--you'll get a partial reward for the item categories that you have filled. To figure cost/benefit consider not just the overall reward (which isn't large) but the item category award you get when you fill that one. I do the ones that I can do, crops first and dedicate a machines output to items that I can make. I've only filled the train once. In that case, the train leaves as soon as all orders are filled. For partial completed orders, you have to wait for the scheduled departure time. My rule of thumb: if more than half the categories are items I can't produce, delete the whole thing, but I have never have had to. Oh, and if you have, say, eight out of nine items in a category, those will be credited back to your barn when the train leaves--Unlike the shop where once you put items up for sale you can't retrieve them. If I'm wrong on any of this, someone please correct me!

Fashion Designer
    Ok thanks. I was wondering how that works with the train I will just fill what I can then without buying anything. These are great tips I've done much better today with money. I've deleted orders that I didn't have the stuff for instead of buying it and I have been putting a small amount of items at the farm stand and they are selling really quick. I was so focused on doing the deliveries to get the extra stuff that comes back but I was not doing well with money that way. So again thanks a bunch. All your tips are working !!!

Rhino Keeper
    Because train is just in, let me give specific example. Two categories, truffled eggs and chocolate cupcakes I can't make, so I ignore those. A third category, honey, is just too slow to get from the beehive since it's needed for the jelly maker. So I'm ignoring that one. I'll still hit 6 out of 9. BUT, as often happens with the train orders, it asks for cheese (I've got the machine on it)' but also baked potatoes requiring cream. Therefore, buy cream, NOT more expensive baked potatoes. And when you finish with cheese at only 15 min each, the machine is freed up for 30 min cream, but in the meantime, I've got 2 baked potatoes going--and before they're done, I'll have collected more bacon. Like the situation with cream, if I need to, I'll buy more bacon. Both are far cheaper than buying the finished product. Patience can work smart!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast