Page 84 of 101 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894 ... LastLast

Thread: Crystal Unicorn - 2014 Jul 24

Rhino Keeper
    I don't have a crystal unicorn either. I usually base what elements I use on whether there is a limited edition animal I am going for. For example, right now I am trying for the Knitten Kitten, which is dark and earth. So I make sure the 4 elements I use include those. That way I can try for it and still have the possibility for a crystal unicorn.

With that said, I don't think it matters at all which four elements you use or whether you change them up.

Rhino Keeper
    I'm pretty sure it's random, and as long as you use four elements you have a shot. There's a long thread here dedicated to it. https://forums.storm8.com/showthread....-Unicorn-(NEW)

Executive Chef
    To the best of our knowledge there should be no difference in which elements are used as long as they're 4 distinct ones.

But.... there are some theories that the breeding odds for a Crystal Unicorn are better when special events are going on, like breeding for a trio, etc.
    With the rarity of the Crystal Unicorn it's really difficult to say if that's true or not, without doing VERY extensive proper statistics, instead of only going by people who report having bred one at that time (as there are at that time then still HEAPS more people that at the same time have NOT bred one, but simply don't report it).

Another assumption is that the chances at a Unicorn are better when the amount of possible outcomes is fewer. For these reasons most of the attempts I made involved using 'gem' (from a bought Quartz Quetzalcoatl), a special trio hybrid and/or the combination of water-fire. The reasons are that gem and the special trio elements could only result in very few outcomes, as could the combination of water-fire (resulting only in a Skyger as a fail).

It is by no means certain though if the amount of possible outcomes affects the chances at the Unicorn, because TL can have implemented the odds at a Unicorn in at least two ways:
    1) A variable chance, where the odds at breeding it are determined by some "distribution key" over the total amount of outcomes. If so, then the fewer the potential outcomes of a combination, the higher the odds at breeding a Unicorn.
    2) A fixed chance, say e.g. 1% at a Unicorn, and variable chances at all the other outcomes. If this is the used logic, then it doesn't matter how many potential outcomes any combination gives, as the chance at a Unicorn would then still always be a fixed percentage.

As long as TL is not telling, it's smart to "expect number 2 and hope for number 1" to be the case. When there was something specific to breed for I always tried to do so as much as possible with 4 element breedings, such that I would also have shots at animals that I still needed. When there was nothing specific to breed for and when wanting to try specifically for the Crystal Unicorn, I always used to choose the combination of water-fire-nature-earth. The reason is that the water-fire combination only results in one fail (as mentioned above) and that this combination also has the shortest fail times of all of the ones you can make with basic elements, so you can put in more attempts and hence improve your chances at breeding one.

Now..... despite all the above, it really is a roll of the dice, and one with MANY numbers on it at that. Despite an estimated few hundreds of tries I never managed to breed a Unicorn; not even when I paired my (bought) Quartz Quetzalcoatl many times with the Skeletal Steed, which had very few breeding outcomes and the shortest possible fail times. I did breed an Emerald Dragon with that combination, which MAY have the same breeding odds as a Unicorn, but I just never managed to breed the unicorn and finally on BF gave in and bought two in value packs...

One final thing that DOES seem to influence the odds at breeding one is the level your game is at. I cannot ignore the relatively high number of players that have reported having easily bred at Crystal Unicorn in only a few attempts when they were still at a really low level. But.... again this may be a coincidence too, of only those that DID succeed reporting it, vs. all the others who didn't not telling so...

Good luck trying for it!
    Last edited by ogreve; 01-07-16 at 02:46 AM.

Fashion Designer
    Hallo Olaf,
    I thought the water/fire animals are not allowed to use for parents??

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by natxjkkggg View Post
    Hallo Olaf,
    I thought the water/fire animals are not allowed to use for parents??
    That's correct, but you can still get water-fire into the mix by breeding e.g. nature-fire + water-earth or nature-water + fire-earth.

Farm Supplier
    If I was to attempt this one what two is the best one to use for it. Any suggestion is great. What level does the animals need to be on if it matters too as long as they can be use to bred.

Rhino Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by BBragg15 View Post
    If I was to attempt this one what two is the best one to use for it. Any suggestion is great. What level does the animals need to be on if it matters too as long as they can be use to bred.
    As far as I've been able to determine it doesn't matter which two animals are used as long as they contain 4 elements, nor does it matter what levels they are at. It's all chance.

Farm Supplier
    After being a daily player since late October of 2014, I finally got my first crystal unicorn! I stared in pure disbelief at the timer for a good five minutes!!

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by cheetahblood View Post
    After being a daily player since late October of 2014, I finally got my first crystal unicorn! I stared in pure disbelief at the timer for a good five minutes!!
    Congrats!! That's awesome! Hopefully gem hybrids follow soon.

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by cheetahblood View Post
    Congratulations!!!