Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Super Rare, Rare, Common...what is rarity good for?

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by stashlova View Post
    There is an algorithm(obviously this wont ever be seen) that determines what each player gets when breeding any two dragons. It limits you to the colors chosen so there should be weights assigned to each dragon in that pool depending on rarity.

Compilation of these statistics would be cumbersome to say least. A way to calculate your odds to get any particular dragon would make DS more satisfying personally
    I like this post! Very informative ~

I like this thread and people's point of view too!

Farm Supplier
    There is an algorithm(obviously this wont ever be seen) that determines what each player gets when breeding any two dragons. It limits you to the colors chosen so there should be weights assigned to each dragon in that pool depending on rarity.

Compilation of these statistics would be cumbersome to say least. A way to calculate your odds to get any particular dragon would make DS more satisfying personally
    I'm sure I've read a post from TL staff (I think GroupMagma but may be wrong) which stated that rarity and evolution level of dragon parents had no effect on the outcome. When I have more time I'll try to find it.

Obviously, there is no fixed value assigned to "rare" or "super rare" (though I think there should be), otherwise mask would be as easy to breed as athletic. Ultra-rares suffer this inequality, too. I play two accounts, both with diamonds (1 bred at level 12, the other bought after months at 150). Both accounts bred the easy hybrids, crusader & quetzal, within 25 attempts but dawntree took 26 attempts on my main account and 37 on the other.

In an ideal game, all dragons within a rarity category would have an equal chance of being bred but then, I also think the rarity and level of the parent dragons, along with the level of player should be factored into the breeding algorithm.

Rhino Keeper
    Hmmm. Im thinking if its explicitly stated that a dragon has a rarity category then it must mean something - either pertaining to how easy or difficult it is to breed or how many players have one. Otherwise there is no point in declaring rarity

Im sure the mods have seen this thread but none choose to chime in. Maybe they dont know either

Executive Chef
    Hmmm. Im thinking if its explicitly stated that a dragon has a rarity category then it must mean something - either pertaining to how easy or difficult it is to breed or how many players have one. Otherwise there is no point in declaring rarity

Im sure the mods have seen this thread but none choose to chime in. Maybe they dont know either
    There may have been some kind of system in the beginning, some kind of plan, but the massproduction of new dragons has messed it up....

I totally agree that a rarity rank should mean something - not just be confusing and cause players to draw possibly wrongful conclusions about the dragons.

The Honorable Panda
    The rarity of the dragon has to do with your chances of getting that dragon when breeding. Using the same combo over and over you will end up getting more common and rare dragons, than
    super and ultra rare dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Turpsichore View Post
    I'm sure I've read a post from TL staff (I think GroupMagma but may be wrong) which stated that rarity and evolution level of dragon parents had no effect on the outcome.
    This is correct
    Need me? Send Me A Private Message

Note: Due to some personal matters, I will not be on over the weekend.

Contact Storm8 by filling out this form: support.storm8.
    How to submit Support Request

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by kooky panda View Post
    The rarity of the dragon has to do with your chances of getting that dragon when breeding. Using the same combo over and over you will end up getting more common and rare dragons, than
    super and ultra rare dragons.
    This was probably the plan from the start, but on my account i definetly see myself getting certain types more often than other, and Super Rares are not more rare than Rares. Thx for your input, i guess that is the closest thing to an offical explanation we'll get!

Rhino Keeper
    Black and pink hybrids are more rare than super rare for sure.

Rhino Keeper
    I guess there arent more details on exactly what each classification means in regards to probabilities.

Thanks for the reply kooky

Fashion Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by MakJulos View Post
    There may have been some kind of system in the beginning, some kind of plan, but the massproduction of new dragons has messed it up....

I totally agree that a rarity rank should mean something - not just be confusing and cause players to draw possibly wrongful conclusions about the dragons.
    I agree, there must be an algorithm or there used to be one that might have gotten more complex as so many dragons were introduced and elements that split. I still think it is coincidental that some players sometimes get more super rares than rares- statistically with so many players and so many possibilities its not that unrealistic for some people to just have more luck than others. I'm not convinced that there would be different algorithms for different islands is what I guess I'm trying to say.

Farm Supplier
    Quote Originally Posted by kooky panda View Post
    super and ultra rare dragons.t
    That should be the case but it clearly isn't.

***THE FOLLOWING FIGURES ARE FOR THE PURPOSE OF ILLUSTRATION ONLY AND PROBABLY BEAR NO RELATION TO ANYTHING***

There should be fixed values for rarity regardless of colour, i.e. common 55%, rare 30%, super rare 14%, ultra rare 1%.

That would mean if you put night & virtue into the den, you would have twice the chance of breeding a "rare" mask than a "super rare" aether, celestial or mistmoth. Likewise, it should take roughly as many tries to breed unicorn as crusader.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast