Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Super Rare, Rare, Common...what is rarity good for?

Executive Chef

Question Super Rare, Rare, Common...what is rarity good for?

What is rarity in Dragon Story? It sure isn't indicating if a dragon is more difficult to get when breeding, on my account i get so many Parakeets, Mistmoths, Honeybees, and many more....ofc i get more common dragon fails, but there are rare dragons i try over and over to get, but all i get is plenty of common ones and many of a few super rare types. It can ofc be just coincidences and bad luck, but i really don't think so.

Is my account preset to get certain types of dragons easily, while other are really difficult to breed - no matter what rarity they have? I think so, and i am aware that i'll never get anything but a negative reply to my theory if a reply at all, but it'd be interesting hearing if any other player has the same opinion.

Rarity in battles then - i must say i can't see it matter much there either, i do pick a Super Rare before a Rare when picking my fighter of a certain color and since i don't battle just for fun i really can't show any statistics. But when it comes to my Champions i've noticed that my Rare Bladewing has overall better score than Super Rares Black Knight and Dynasty - this may be coincidence ofc, and i do think they're all equally strong really, so Rarity out the window again.

Am i missing something - has rarity ranks to do something with how the dragons were launched? Are Super Rares more expensive to level up than Rares? I could look this up ofc, but i haven't bothered since i've for a while now had feeling that the rarity ranks we see are just randomly applied really, and i think that'd be seriously misleading.

I haven't mentioned Ultra Rares - these does seem extra rare - difficult to breed and often strong contenders in battle too, so that rarity rank actually makes sense (wheeee). Ok, i bet that there are lucky players that get this type quite easily too, but i guess few are chosen for this - overall though this rarity rank seems accurate.

Anyway, would be interesting hearing folks opinions about this - or even better getting an actual explanation to what Rarity in Dragon Story really means!
    Last edited by MakJulos; 06-18-14 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Typing faster than brain produces letters
    Signature hmm...if i actually get this working i's just like to say that Cheez Dooodles and Coca Cola is good for you, perhaps not very good, but still! And, not accepting any more random neighbor requests, say something first, plz! Have a great day!

Rhino Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by MakJulos View Post

Anyway, would be interesting hearing folks opinions about this - or even better getting an actual explanation to what Rarity in Dragon Story real means!
    Curious about this as well. More curious about TL releasing some sort of indicator of what your odds/percentages are to get a Common, Rare, Super Rare or Ultra Rare dragon based on the combo you choose. I know we have breeding calculators and the like but some sort of statistic compilation letting the breeder know which combos are more likely to succeed would be invaluable.

I get mostly commons like everyone else and i choose to use different combos almost all of the time when trying for a new dragon. Can a mod comment on the percentages associated with the aforementioned types of rarity of the dragons if it even exists?

Executive Chef
    This will be Intersting! Got popcorn?

Fashion Designer
    In the arena, rarity is supposedly important. However, there is another category of "unbreedable" dragons that I think do even better than super rares in the arena. That could be why all your champion dragons seem to perform the same. Because even if they have the label of rare or super rare, they battle better because they are unbreedable.

In terms of breeding, I think it is a coincidence that you are breeding more super rares than rares. I personally believe the percentages are 70% common, 20% rare, 9% super rare and 1% ultra rare assuming you have a combo in which all four outcomes are possible. This is not a fact, but from my experience I think it is the case. Especially for ultra rare- I bred around 500 times diamond and crusader and got 5 ultra rares- that's roughly 1 in 100. That's just me. Others have better or worse luck, but I think the best way to test is to breed the same 2 dragons hundreds of times and record the results. With a large enough sample size, we should get a good idea of the percentages.

I don't think it is purely coincidence getting super rares more commonly then certain rare dragons because it has happened to me.

I have literally gotten all dragons within possibles from a pair except the rare dragon I was shooting for...even with back to back super rare fails! One time three super rares in a row and I never got the rare I wanted. Statistically, this should not be possible...but it happened. So the statistics are not as straight forward as you would like to believe.

I also think some dragons are harder to get for some players, and once you've gotten it it is 'unlocked' for that player. For example, the Titan dragon for me, just a rare dragon. I bred purple/red over, and over, and over. There were only three dragons in the pool: Charm (common), Titan (rare), Planet (super rare). I got nothing but Charms, gave up for a while, started again, finally got Planet (at level 120 something) and more Charm, still no Titan. Gave up for awhile.

Saw it on my Neighbor's islands everywhere! Even players at much lower levels then I! It was making me crazy, lol!!!!

When Cupid came back I started up again at level 134. I got mostly Charm, one Planet, then it happened! I finally got Titan! Then it wouldn't stop, just like that, Titan after Titan fail...never did get Cupid.

So, my point is, if there were straight forward statistics equal for everyone at every level, there is no way after so many breedings I wouldn't have gotten the Titan (rare) earlier, and I certainly wouldn't have gotten several Planets (super rare) first. To add insult to injury, I started to get Titan as a fail when previously I couldn't get it to save my life! Once it was 'unlocked' for me I started getting them as fails.

Now, whenever Titan is in the breeding pool I get it at least once as a fail when previous to level 134 it was nonexistent! In my experience, statistics are not equal for all.

Rhino Keeper
    I have the same problem, but I still believe that's all about luck. I tried and got Porcelain for 2 or 3 days. But, I have tried to get Quicksilver for more than 2 weeks. In the period, I got 1 Goodwitch and 3 Blue moon but no Quicksilver so far.

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by danni7788 View Post
    even if they have the label of rare or super rare, they battle better because they are unbreedable.
    Seriously? I did not know this! Of course I really know nothing about the arena. But this is an interesting statement.

Fashion Designer
    I think it's purely coincidental, I mean, I've never gotten a Mindvolt or a Parakeet or a Mindvolt, yet I get millions of Mistmoths and Aethers! It's all luck I guess
    accepting all neighbors

Rhino Keeper
    There is an algorithm(obviously this wont ever be seen) that determines what each player gets when breeding any two dragons. It limits you to the colors chosen so there should be weights assigned to each dragon in that pool depending on rarity.

Compilation of these statistics would be cumbersome to say least. A way to calculate your odds to get any particular dragon would make DS more satisfying personally

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast