Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Farm Story 2? Here are a few basic hints and tips...

Farm Supplier

New to Farm Story 2? Here are a few basic hints and tips...

These are some very basic tips off the top of my head. I welcome others to add their hints and tips.

1. You need neighbors. I recently saw a post from someone who said they were deleting any neighbor who did not gift back or tip back. That's just crazy. First of all, Ms. Manners does not dictate the number of gifts you can send, TL does and you are limited to three per day. Tips --- this means visiting a farm and popping a heart over a building. The maximum you can pop is five per visit, assuming the farm has at least five dwellings and assuming any are available. Don't delete neighbors. Best way to get neighbors?
    -Check your settings. If you enable "Allow Quick Invite" anyone visiting your farm will see a lady with a blue hat in the lower right screen and by clicking her, you will receive a neighbor request from the visitor. (Keep check with your mailbox.) Works the same way if you visit a farm. If you see the lady with blue hat, click her and you will send an auto neighbor request.
    - Don't be shy requesting someone add you as a neighbor. If you visit a farm and the farmer does not have the Auto Quick Invite on, click the message pad in the lower right screen and request they add you. BE CERTAIN you provide your Stormy ID - NOT your farm name. They are not always the same and the farm name will not work if they differ. You must use your Stormy ID name.

2. Storage space is your enemy and will remain your enemy. It will be very difficult if not impossible, to expand your storage space as your farm expands without spending REAL money (i.e., buy gems.) If anyone has actually accomplished this task, I urge you to comment on how you did so and how long it took to accomplish it. So with that said, here are some beginner tips on how to manage your storage space as effectively as possible:
    - Just because that chicken clucks does NOT mean you need to collect eggs! Do not collect eggs if you do NOT need eggs. They only take up precious storage space. If you look at the newspaper, you will see eggs are almost always available. In fact, I've sold ten eggs at the minimum market price just to free up storage space. After doing this two or three times, I figured this one out! I am at Level 41 and still have found no need to purchase a second chicken coop. Four chickens are more than sufficient.
    - Same is true with coconuts! Coconuts ripen more rapidly than any other fruit tree yet chocolate takes a minimum of one hour to manufacture if you have a chocolatier! Once you buy a coconut tree, you do NOT need to pluck the fruit as soon as it ripens. Let them sit on the tree until you need them. Besides, there are ALWAYS coconuts available in the newspaper or from your neighbors. I regret buying FIVE trees (eight are available to me and there is NO WAY I would purchase another three trees. FOUR would have been totally sufficient.)
    - I am feeling the same way about apples. I have eight trees and generally do not pick from more than four or five trees in any one day. I simply cannot use that many apples. And again, you will find many, many farmers selling apples. I wish I would have purchased only five trees. (Oh! But now I'm thinking there was probably some bonus for buying all eight trees! Most likely so...cannot recall what it was but sure am wondering if it was really worth it!)

3. I cannot recall what level is required (or if a level is required) to open your market but put it at the top of all priority lists. Buying and selling in the market is essential for success in this game. Tips for beginners and the market:
    - When I first cleared enough land and was able to open my market stand, the only real products I had in enough abundance to sell were eggs and milk! But so many others are in the same place and the reason eggs and milk are always available. Eggs and milk do not sell fast unless you sell at market price. Animal feed does sell fast, however, even at maximum market price. So you have one grain mill with two slots. You have milk and you have eggs. Do not use your cow and chicken feed to gather more milk and eggs you do not need which are taking up precious storage space! Sell the feed! I guarantee it will sell much faster than the milk and eggs.
    - Stormy is an ever presence in the Marketplace. Stormy is the TL game moderator and she sells six products per day usually at below market price, but never at the max going rate. Initially, I did not purchase anything from Stormy if I did not need it. BUT if I knew then what I know now, I would have ALWAYS purchased the following items from Stormy even if I couldn't personally use and it took every dollar I had:
    - Anything from mine (ore, gold, steel, gem)
    - Any tool (shovel, axe, pick, hammer)
    - Building supplies (paint, nails, screws, etc.)
    - Wool
    - Fish bait
    And, I would have immediately put up for sale at full price. The above items will always sell very quickly at the maximum market price. Always. So for example if Stormy is selling a bale of wool for $31 and you cannot use it yet because you do not have a studio, buy it anyway and immediately put it up for sale at $38 (current max.) It will sell very quickly and you will have a $7 profit. Not much, but every cent counts in the early levels. Plus! It will give you contact with a new potential neighbor.

4. Speaking of wool...putting out all of that cash for a studio and then that first sheep coop and the sheep, it is kind of disappointing, isn?t it? This is a good example of how shopping the newspaper or visiting your neighbors can really be helpful. Wool always sells at full market maximum and as noted above current max for one bale is $38. You need two to make one scarf. So you spend $77 for the wool, but you can use your studio (which is doing nothing while waiting four hours to shear your one sheep) and turn out a scarf in one hour which will sell for $94 max in no time.

As said, just a few tips. Hey other Farm Story2 players, what suggestions would you offer new players if you knew then what you know now?
    Last edited by TrixiDeCat; 05-24-14 at 11:13 PM.

Nice thread mate, im at level 29 now, i mostly do all of the tips you mentioned here, just for some additional info about market (this is what i do) instead of making high price items like cookies, fried catfish w/ lemon, or catfish sandwich which take 2hours to make, i just do flax, more flax! Which only takes 30mins and 210 at max price, this one sells very fast at max price, you will see a big difference on how fast you can earn coins compared on making high price items, specialy when you need those coins very bad, i dont know if im earning at average line, but im earning atleast 15k or sometimes more a day just on selling flax, and i think its not that bad for 1 day, but again im not sure if its only average and im happy with that amount everyday.

Off topic question:
    @TrixiDeCat
    The second studio will show up on what level mate? And how much does it cost? If you still remember thanks.

Rhino Keeper
    Good tips, but remember differing playing styles require different tactics. I do not do deliveries, I just sell what I make so for me acquiring xp is the problem so:

I don't have any problems with storage (am I unique in this? ) unless I am buying papers to expand. My barn is usually half full (capacity 410) if I am having a good selling day it can be nearly empty.

I always collect from my trees as I need the xp, but if I don't need them I sell cocoa at min price or discard through the shop.

I have max apple trees and sometimes buy more as i use lots for pies and juice.

I agree about the chickens, 4 is enough. I used to collect and discard but can't keep up with making feed anymore so they only get fed if I have less than 4 eggs left.

I don't make corn starch if I can help it, but it is hard to find in the shop.

Pets are great but they can cause problems with producing enough animal feed. So factor in costs of extra feed mills and pigs/bacon.

How to make money depends on how frequently you play. So if you can only play a couple of times a day it makes sense to produce the higher coin longer time stuff. Selling flax only really works if you can visit every 30 min or so to harvest it.

Also in hindsight I would not buy the jewelsmith as i just sell all metals at max price and I use it ocassionally for the novelty.

ps I have been able to buy the second studio for a while and I am level 38.

Rhino Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by TrixiDeCat View Post
    - Same is true with coconuts! Coconuts ripen more rapidly than any other fruit tree yet chocolate takes a minimum of one hour to manufacture if you have a chocolatier! Once you buy a coconut tree, you do NOT need to pluck the fruit as soon as it ripens. Let them sit on the tree until you need them. Besides, there are ALWAYS coconuts available in the newspaper or from your neighbors. I regret buying FIVE trees (eight are available to me and there is NO WAY I would purchase another three trees. FOUR would have been totally sufficient.)
    Great tips! Just thought I should mention that they're not coconuts but COCOA trees
    Avid player of: Castle Story, Dragon Story, Fantasy Story and Farm Story 2

I'm unable to visit neighbours daily but will always respond and return neighbour requests promptly
    ID: GameOfFarms

Farm Supplier
    Responded to question without "reply to quotes"...I'm getting this whole discussion thing...
    Last edited by TrixiDeCat; 06-06-14 at 05:56 PM.

Farm Supplier
    Ditto...
    Last edited by TrixiDeCat; 06-06-14 at 05:56 PM.

Farm Supplier
    Quote Originally Posted by erikamari View Post
    Nice thread mate, im at level 29 now, i mostly do all of the tips you mentioned here, just for some additional info about market (this is what i do) instead of making high price items like cookies, fried catfish w/ lemon, or catfish sandwich which take 2hours to make, i just do flax, more flax! Which only takes 30mins and 210 at max price, this one sells very fast at max price, you will see a big difference on how fast you can earn coins compared on making high price items, specialy when you need those coins very bad, i dont know if im earning at average line, but im earning atleast 15k or sometimes more a day just on selling flax, and i think its not that bad for 1 day, but again im not sure if its only average and im happy with that amount everyday.

Off topic question:
    @TrixiDeCat
    The second studio will show up on what level mate? And how much does it cost? If you still remember thanks.
    Oh gosh...Sorry, I cannot remember the level. When you select "buildings" can you see if the second studio is "available" but is locked until you reach a certain level?

Farm Supplier
    Quote Originally Posted by GameOfFarms View Post
    Great tips! Just thought I should mention that they're not coconuts but COCOA trees
    Thanks! Correction noted. I guess I cannot help but call 'em as I see 'em!

Got the second studio at level 30 thanks anyway

Executive Chef
    I am a player who does not buy gems. As such, although I have been playing for a while (September 2013), I am only at level 39. My barn and silo capacity sits at 380 and 365 respectively, and I frequently get overstocked and have to juggle things around to open up space.

So, for new players, I have the following advice: TAKE YOUR TIME. Don't try to rush to get this and that and everything under the virtual sun.

Space is limited--always--so for the most part, only craft what is needed when it is needed. Even if it means letting some buildings sit idle, only craft when necessary. Later, when more space is available and the train station is repaired and operational, then start stockpiling; otherwise, limit how much gets crafted. Check deliveries to see how many of something is requested and then craft them.

Plan ahead and expand in the right directions. Fulfill the quests/tasks offered by Morgan, et al., in the game, they will generally guide in the right directions. The first objective, though, should definitely be the Side Shop so goods can be sold.

Conventional wisdom might suggest raising the prices of the goods in the Side Shop to the maximum to bring in the most coinage. I have found, though, that selling in small quantities (usually 2 for items, 5 for crops) at market value keeps items moving regularly out of my Side Shop, sometimes selling even before I have finished putting things up for sale. Perhaps it is because of the lack of space in Barn and Silo, and the need for only one or two items to complete an order, that things sell so quickly for me.

Do not be afraid to delete delivery orders. If something comes in that simply cannot be filled (as level goes up, items may appear that cannot be crafted or harvested because the right buildings, expansions, or trees haven't been purchased yet), simply delete the order and wait for a new one to come in. Gems could be used, but I'm patient and am willing to wait.

Buy the new crop plots as soon as they become available. As level goes up, more space is needed to grow different crops while also growing enough to produce livestock feed. In general, I would suggest 3 for each crop, then when more plots and new crops become availalbe, up that to 4 each. Eventually, though, I think 6 each for corn, wheat, and flax would be best, as these are the ones needed to produce feed as well as other items.

For livestock, if only 1 feed mill is available, hold off on buying more than 1 or 2 of each until a second feed mill can be purchased. The mill produces 2 feed each time it produces, so 2 animals will not strain resources and leave livestock lying on their sides in their pens. After buying the second feed mill, increase herds to 4 each, and the mills to 3 slots each. Then cycle through the queue according to how long each animal takes to "recharge": cow feed, chicken feed, pig feed, then sheep feed (after collecting the completed cow feed).

Finally, I'd suggest not wasting resources adding slots to different buildings, or open up the third slot only. Most things take so long (unless gems are used) that most players will likely leave the game and come back later anyway. Save the resources (like wood planks, screws, nails, paint, etc.) for expanding capacity in the Silo, the Barn, and the Side Shop.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast