Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Drop rates a theory

Rhino Keeper

Drop rates a theory

So we all know that TL says they don't tinker with the drop rates:

Quote Originally Posted by glimmergate View Post
    ... I want to once again chime in and let you know that we do NOT lower droprates, dynamically or otherwise, of items with the intention to force you all to buy stuff.

The only times we change droprates of items is to RAISE them (for recent examples see, dragon scales, manticore whisker, glimmer shards/fragments), when we start requiring these items more often.

Thanks
    So here is my theory. Somehow the drop rates are connected to how many of an item you have in stock.
    So let's say that the level is set at 20. If you go under that level you will get lower drop rates and if you go above it, your drop rates will be higher. This will cause the effect that we feel once we start using something from our inventory. As long as the level is high we feel good drops but the minute we start using the item, our levels drop below 20 and the drop rates go down.
    TL doesn't have to tinker with the rates, it is built in.
    I don't think they do this to make us buy stuff. Just to pace the game.
    That's my theory.
    Toughts?

Rhino Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by kudukuda View Post
    So we all know that TL says they don't tinker with the drop rates:

So here is my theory. Somehow the drop rates are connected to how many of an item you have in stock.
    So let's say that the level is set at 20. If you go under that level you will get lower drop rates and if you go above it, your drop rates will be higher. This will cause the effect that we feel once we start using something from our inventory. As long as the level is high we feel good drops but the minute we start using the item, our levels drop below 20 and the drop rates go down.
    TL doesn't have to tinker with the rates, it is built in.
    I don't think they do this to make us buy stuff. Just to pace the game.
    That's my theory.
    Toughts?
    We don't have anything so sophisticated in place right now!

If a droprate for an item is 4%, then it's 4% for everyone, no matter what level you are, what you have in your inventory, what buildings you're trying to build, etc.

Right now I would say the biggest flaw with our loot system is that sometimes, even with a relatively high droprate like 40%, you can try many times and still fail (see: blades and hilts of light and darkness, garnet trinket, etc), if you get unlucky.

I can't promise anything unfortunately, however it's my goal to get in place a system that can help guard against this sort of thing - if I put a droprate in at 33%, then I want players to get it within a few tries! If you're trying 10 times and failing, then that's not good for anyone

I also want to note that while we can ADD extra loot when you're on a specific quest, our system does not support REMOVING or LOWERING loot when you're on a quest. Even if I wanted to (which I don't), we just cannot do that.

Loot is a huge part of this game. When it works well, it can be a lot of fun! But it sure can be frustrating if you get unlucky. I think our best bet is to work to fix the flaws in the system, and your feedback is super important for that.

Thanks everyone
    TeamLava Game Designer
    I'm happy to answer questions about Castle Story, Restaurant Story 2, and Fairy Tale Wonderland!

Some people have several dragons and/or alicorns, while others are still struggling to get their first burning ember or wing. This to me sounds like a lamed drop system than anything automated or using math to adjust drop rates. The sad part is either way fixing it is not that much of a challenge. I've dealt with randomizing a number of times and in every case it was fairly easy to implement leveling to make sure the results were within acceptable specs, or auto-balanced. Nothing special required, even a mediocre programmer can deal with this. That being said, the only reason why the drop system is so inconsistent and unfair is because it's not a priority to fix it.

Executive Chef
    I don't know how programming works, but is there a way to increase the chances as you go along? So, you have the 40% drop rate for 1-10 tries, 50% drop rate for 11-15 tries, and up like that? So, if you've hit 30 tries, the drop rate is 100%. Or would that just mess everything up. Like I said, I don't know nothing 'bout birthing babies, Miss Scarlett.
    Last edited by Queenzod; 05-06-14 at 11:08 AM.
    Proud member of the Thuakie Sword Society. Close and personal friend of The Great Thuan.

Fashion Designer
    Thank you Glimmergate! That was the most detailed and helpful explanation yet of how the droprate system works :-)

Quote Originally Posted by shambalaya View Post
    Thank you Glimmergate! That was the most detailed and helpful explanation yet of how the droprate system works :-)
    I also send my thanks, Glimmergate, for the time & effort spent to respond. I appreciate you & other TL staff listening and responding here and in the game to all our concerns.
    Now I just need to battle 2 more of those elusive boars to move on in this quest.

Banned
    Theory of Dropability

This is not to be confused with the fictitous Theory of Probability which was devised by old people who never played online games and drink tea at predetermined times during the day.

The Theory of Dropability states.. That if you want something and the item you want is sitting in NVRAM in the frontal lobe of your brain.. that item will not drop. Programmers who design these games have developed a highly intricate algorithm which detects this wanted item and then shifts its Dropability to a later time when that item is not wanted. So force close your brain and clear out all the wants resting in brain then use that precious energy and tap on the resource that will eventually deliver that most wanted want into your inventory. Glad I could clear this up for you guys.
    Last edited by doobievilla; 05-06-14 at 12:50 PM.

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by doobievilla View Post
    Theory of Dropability

This is not to be confused with the fictitous Theory of Probability which was devised by old people who never played online games and drink tea at predetermined times during the day.

The Theory of Dropability states.. That if you want something and the item you want is sitting in NVRAM in the frontal lobe of your brain.. that item will not drop. Programmers who design these games have developed a highly intricate algorithm which detects this wanted item and then shifts its Dropability to a later time when that item is not wanted. So force close your brain and clear out all the wants resting in brain then use that precious energy and tap on the resource that will eventually deliver that most wanted want into your inventory. Glad I could clear this up for you guys.
    That sounds like a timely-wimey thing!
    Proud member of the Thuakie Sword Society. Close and personal friend of The Great Thuan.

Fashion Designer
    Thanks glimmegate for an enlightening explanation of how drop rates work!

Fashion Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by doobievilla View Post
    Theory of Dropability

This is not to be confused with the fictitous Theory of Probability which was devised by old people who never played online games and drink tea at predetermined times during the day..

As an old person for whom this is my first online community based game who also drinks tea at predetermined times during the day I see the humor in the Theory of Dropability, but I will stick with the Theory of Probability

In CS I have runs of good and bad luck, but usually my drop rate is refreshingly average. If anything I see a slight theoretical bias towards higher drop rates which increased markedly when I collected Knowledge Shards.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast