Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kingdoms with identical names?

Fashion Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by gdmcrjunkie View Post
    Any confusion can be explained away. People should be able to name their kingdoms/bakeries/islands etc whatever they want, which won't be possible if duplicates aren't allowed. I've seen many kingdoms with cool names abandoned at around level 6. Wouldn't it be unfair if they had a name someone who intends to stick around wants?
    Life is not fair, but if you want to argue fairness, is it fair that someone who had a kingdom name first should be getting upset neighbors because another neighbor with the same name posted questionable content on a fellow neighbor's wall? Fairness will always trump itself, which is why it has such weak legs to stand on. Justness, however, prioritizes the larger problem that needs correction, so the just choice here it so make kingdom names unique.

Why should we be able to name them whatever we want anyway? So we can have our own way at the cost of confusion and misunderstanding for others? No. I do not agree at all. So a kingdom name is taken--get creative and think of a better one, or change the spelling slightly. We deal with this stuff all the time when creating accounts for **** or Amazon or any other reputable online membership. That's not a big deal, but this selfish "we should be able to have whatever we want" is a feeble argument and childish at best in the face of a greater need.
    ༻༻༻༻༻༻༻༻༻
    ~ ☧ ↂ Gardienn ༻࿇ꐕ
    ༻༻༻༻༻༻༻༻༻

Not currently accepting new neighbors.

Castle Story
    Farm Story 2
    Goldonis Saveir
    GS's Ranch

Rhino Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardienn View Post
    ...That's not a big deal, but this selfish "we should be able to have whatever we want" is a feeble argument and childish at best in the face of a greater need.
    What's the greater need? I don't see any huge needs here.

Executive Chef
    I am firmly in the so what if there are duplicate names in the game camp. I was thrilled to find someone who had the same name as me and we had a bit of banter about it. After all, great minds think alike. I have several neighbours with the same name and it has just never been a problem.

Fashion Designer
    It really only becomes an issue if one of those neighbors is a gifting partner.

On Dragon Story I think I have 5 neighbors whose islands are an iteration of Dragon Island and I'm sure there are hundreds more out there.

Fashion Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by eepopp View Post
    What's the greater need? I don't see any huge needs here.
    This is the problem with the huge need for resolution:

Quote Originally Posted by dragoniakingdom View Post
    It is indeed confusing. I have so far come across 3 identical named kingdoms to my own.

The worse aspect was having an upset player posting on my wall that I had deleted her....she was a neighbour to one of the other same named Kingdoms.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghjvcucjb View Post
    There are several kingdoms with the same name as mine and one of them happens to be neighbors with a ton of the same people as me. Because we're both on friendly talkative terms with the same neighbors its sometimes confusing for some of our mutual neighbors. Just a couple of weeks ago, several people got confused about how I was having medical problems while also at a dance where a waiter spilled a drink on my dress! Lol. Thank goodness I misspelled my kingdom name so at least there's one letter to set us a part.

I don't think anyone is having a hissy fit, just expressing an observation/opinion/problem. It's kind of strange getting reprimanded for something you didn't do like deleting someone. Or in my case, one neighbor actually question my honesty in whether I was truly Ill when I was posting about a party on someone else's wall. Although most of my neighbors teased me about the whole thing which was fun and brought about a lot of jokes and laughs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cesar49 View Post
    The post that first made me realise there was another kingdom with the same name was one which I personally disliked, and feel that the neighbours with which I chat regularly might also have disliked. A simple initial or number after the name (and it really was identical in spelling and punctuation) would have differentiated our two kingdoms without altering the nature of the name, and helped avoid any confusion which might now arise.
    ༻༻༻༻༻༻༻༻༻
    ~ ☧ ↂ Gardienn ༻࿇ꐕ
    ༻༻༻༻༻༻༻༻༻

Castle Story
    Farm Story 2
    Goldonis Saveir
    GS's Ranch

Rhino Keeper
    This is the problem with the huge need for resolution:
    I don't see any of those as "huge" needs. Inconveniences, yes. Huge problems that are detrimental to the game? No.

They are all manageable issues.

Rhino Keeper
    Life is not fair, but if you want to argue fairness, is it fair that someone who had a kingdom name first should be getting upset neighbors because another neighbor with the same name posted questionable content on a fellow neighbor's wall? Fairness will always trump itself, which is why it has such weak legs to stand on. Justness, however, prioritizes the larger problem that needs correction, so the just choice here it so make kingdom names unique.

Why should we be able to name them whatever we want anyway? So we can have our own way at the cost of confusion and misunderstanding for others? No. I do not agree at all. So a kingdom name is taken--get creative and think of a better one, or change the spelling slightly. We deal with this stuff all the time when creating accounts for **** or Amazon or any other reputable online membership. That's not a big deal, but this selfish "we should be able to have whatever we want" is a feeble argument and childish at best in the face of a greater need.
    An unpleasant situation that can be resolved with a "That's not me, that's someone else with the same name." Any reasonable person would apologise and move on. I'm not saying we should be able to have whatever we want, but we should be able to keep what we already have. With that situation dealt with, the rest of your argument sounds like "I got it first so it should be mine," which seems more selfish if you ask me... (Are you sure you got the name first? Level is no indicative of when someone first started their game.)

Well, I doubt we'll be able to convince each other. I'd also be very surprised if TL implemented your suggestion. And if they do, I won't be all that upset since I've already got a name I like. Now that's selfish

Fashion Designer
    Self correction: I wrote "This is the problem with the huge need." I should have written huger, as in, a bigger issue than getting to pick whatever names we want. which was the response I was addressing. No, it isn't a huge issue in itself, I agree, but it is problematic.

It would have been better if TL had implemented unique names from the start, but since they didn't, it would at least be better if they implemented unique names from here going forward.
    ༻༻༻༻༻༻༻༻༻
    ~ ☧ ↂ Gardienn ༻࿇ꐕ
    ༻༻༻༻༻༻༻༻༻

Castle Story
    Farm Story 2
    Goldonis Saveir
    GS's Ranch

Fashion Designer
    I respect your right to your opinion and I'm sorry someone was unpleasant to you, but I still disagree that unique kingdom names should be strictly enforced. Our kingdom names are not legal identities, nor are they eligible for trademarks. People will be people, and misunderstandings and hurtful behavior will happen.

Occasionally people post quotes, comments or one-liners on my wall that I think are in poor taste or offensive. I delete the post and move on. If it happens multiple times, I remove them from my neighborhood. Should I start advocating for wall posts to be restricted to 20 characters or less, or even emoji only? Nope. We have too many rules, limits and restrictions already.

Fashion Designer
    This is an issue that has come up in my own life on more than one occasion. I used to live on Main Street, and one day I got lost coming home from work, took the wrong exit and ended up in unfamiliar surroundings, when I spotted my street sign, Main Street. Imagine my horror when I got to my address, and instead of finding my home, there was an appliance store instead? What's worse, all of my neighbors homes had also been replaced with stores! It was a total nightmare!

So, I decided to start over, and moved to the neighboring city of Springfield. Great town, lots to do, but sometimes you just need to get away, so I took a road trip to see what sights I could see. A day or so into my trip, I'm driving along and find that I've apparently been driving in circles, I've come across the exit for Springfield! I pull off to get my bearings, but discover that the ENTIRE TOWN had been changed! It was freaking Main Street all over again!

The horror... The horror...

It's OK now though. I've got a nice padded room. Hee hee. I don't get to leave. I have a nice jacket wrapped tightly around me so I don't hurt myself. Men in white coats come to visit. Nice men. Hee hee. Nice men...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast