Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kingdoms with identical names?

Rhino Keeper
    I don't think I'm being silly or selfish in wishing to retain my own kingdom name, which I've had for nearly 2 years now, but not much liking it when someone else uses the same name. It's not a name based on anything like stories, films or themes but is highly personal to me. It's a question of individuality. As a former teacher I've often had a number of children in my class with the same name, and found that even children as young as 5 appreciated choosing a name that related solely to them in class, whether it meant using Kate, Katie and Kath or using surname initials after their first name - JackD and JackT, for example. The post that first made me realise there was another kingdom with the same name was one which I personally disliked, and feel that the neighbours with which I chat regularly might also have disliked. A simple initial or number after the name (and it really was identical in spelling and punctuation) would have differentiated our two kingdoms without altering the nature of the name, and helped avoid any confusion which might now arise.

Rhino Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by Cesar49 View Post
    I don't think I'm being silly or selfish in wishing to retain my own kingdom name, which I've had for nearly 2 years now, but not much liking it when someone else uses the same name. It's not a name based on anything like stories, films or themes but is highly personal to me. It's a question of individuality. As a former teacher I've often had a number of children in my class with the same name, and found that even children as young as 5 appreciated choosing a name that related solely to them in class, whether it meant using Kate, Katie and Kath or using surname initials after their first name - JackD and JackT, for example. The post that first made me realise there was another kingdom with the same name was one which I personally disliked, and feel that the neighbours with which I chat regularly might also have disliked. A simple initial or number after the name (and it really was identical in spelling and punctuation) would have differentiated our two kingdoms without altering the nature of the name, and helped avoid any confusion which might now arise.
    I don't think you are being silly or selfish at all.

I do feel that players have options of distinguishing themselves from identical names by:

1) using spaces before their names
    2) using emoji

You could employ either strategy to maintain the exact spelling of your Kingdom name, while also differentiating yourself from those kingdoms.
    Last edited by eepopp; 03-12-14 at 04:39 PM.

Rhino Keeper
    cesarville you say? Hmmmmm. Has a nice ring to it. I want that name for my kingdom too! 10 gems is it? Lol! Just kidding

Fashion Designer
    I appreciate having the name I want on my kingdom. After all it is my kingdom If there are 10 others or a hundred, I don't care. I don't want to be Lark's Nest 317. Having a number in the name would completely destroy its charm.

I don't see any point for rudeness between neighbors, and frankly, would unfriend someone for unpleasant behavior in my kingdom. It's my sanctuary, where I go to escape real life problems and worries. I don't go into other peoples' castles and insult them. I hope for the same courtesy in return.

I have lots of Sherwoods, Camelots, etc. as neighbors. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I have a truly lovely group of regular CS visitors, and it's never been a problem.

Fashion Designer
    Decrease barrier entry? That's total hooey. Everyone already has the common mentality to choose unique account names and if our first (or tenth) preference is taken, add numbers or try again. We had to do it to choose a Storm8 ID, we should have had to do it when choosing kingdom names too. I thought mine was unique when I chose it, and wanted it to be.

This is about clarity and reputation. Funny how those things are always at the expense of someone else's personal gain, like easy access or getting what you want.

Established kingdoms should not be purposely or inadvertently defamed by the actions of kingdoms with the same names, and definitely should not be the ones forced to spend high-commodity gems to change theirs when a squatter imposes.

I call for TeamLava to implement name restrictions right away and make all kingdom names unique. First ones with an originating name get to keep it, all others get a number added according to order of arrival.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverrr11 View Post
    cesarville you say? Hmmmmm. Has a nice ring to it. I want that name for my kingdom too! 10 gems is it? Lol! Just kidding
    Oliver, you weanie.
    ༻༻༻༻༻༻༻༻༻
    ~ ☧ ↂ Gardienn ༻࿇ꐕ
    ༻༻༻༻༻༻༻༻༻

Not currently accepting new neighbors.

Castle Story
    Farm Story 2
    Goldonis Saveir
    GS's Ranch

Rhino Keeper
    Goldonis Saveir you say? Hmmmmm.........
    Last edited by oliverrr11; 03-12-14 at 07:51 PM.

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardienn View Post

Oliver, you weanie.
    That should be Oliverrr11, you weenie. (tee hee)

New Resident
    What if, when writing on walls and whatnot the storm8 ID was included?

IE my name would show up as nairi7's niapolis rather that just niapolis. Then you'd have soandso's Camelot randomdude's Camelot etc etc on your page it would say your name in the community the extended name

Then there could be 6 million Camelots and no confusion

Rhino Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by ghjvcucjb View Post
    That should be Oliverrr11, you weenie. (tee hee)
    No, no, no! You are both wrong! It's a small o.

Executive Chef
    It is confusing. Obviously if you then visit the neighbour and they are on a different level you can see they're different, but if they happen to be on the same level how do you tell? I can't remember kingdom layouts of everyone, and people change them regularly too.

I don't think I am at risk of a doppelganger (wibblewobbk was only a joke and then misspelled at that) but it would be handy not to have so many Kingdoms with the same name. I actually 'unfriended' a Camelot because I had a close neighbour who is Camelot and I was getting confused when gifting.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast