Page 76 of 121 FirstFirst ... 266672737475767778798086 ... LastLast

Thread: The Whatever Thread, part 4. Woot!

Nightclub Owner
    Oh is that part of the tradition? People pinch you if you don't wear green? Lol. What if you're wearing green underwear? Or green socks? Or a green band aid, or have green toilet paper in your handbag?

Grand Emperor
    Well, you want to wear green where people can see it. Because if they can't see green, they'll pinch you, and even if you tell them your underwear is green its too late, you've already been pinched.

For adults, there's green beer. I think its just added food coloring. But it doesn't matter what the color of the beer is, I don't like beer.

And McDonald's has Shamrock shakes.

There's probably some real reason St Patrick's day started. I'm not sure what St. Patrick did to deserve a day dedicated to him.

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by nmishii View Post

There's probably some real reason St Patrick's day started. I'm not sure what St. Patrick did to deserve a day dedicated to him.
    St. Patrick allegedly drove all the snakes out of Ireland
    I saw a werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand..
    Walking through Soho in the rain...

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyrae View Post
    Well, I admit to nothing. But who leaves brownies just lying around like that?

I suggest that maybe the dingo ate your brownies.
    My husband ate the Brownies. The Brownies my daughter and I made to bring to school the next day. They had a big note that said FOR SCHOOL maybe it wasn't clear enough.

Bobbyrae St Patrick's day is originally a Catholic holiday so it is most popular where there is a big Catholic presence. I am guessing that is not the case where you are from.
    Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it.
    -Lewis Carroll

Nightclub Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by lylahmae View Post
    My husband ate the Brownies. The Brownies my daughter and I made to bring to school the next day. They had a big note that said FOR SCHOOL maybe it wasn't clear enough.

Bobbyrae St Patrick's day is originally a Catholic holiday so it is most popular where there is a big Catholic presence. I am guessing that is not the case where you are from.
    We have our share of catholics here in Jamaica. But we don't generally celebrate american holidays here. Except that there has been a recent trend -within the past couple of years- to celebrate Thanksgiving in Jamaica. Not sure why. And the hotels will do fireworks for the guests for Fourth of July.

I hope you made your husband make more brownies or buy a cake or something!!

Grand Emperor

Sorry Lylahmae but this is entirely your fault. The note did not specifically say "Don't eat these!". Your husband is a man so therefore needs very specific direction. Even if you think it's obvious it's not to him. Next time leave a note on them saying specifically what not to do. Say it in big letters, slowly.
    I just want to love you and squeeze you and call you George

Grand Emperor
    Quote Originally Posted by nmishii View Post
    I'm wearing purple. As a kid, I made sure I wore green on St. Patrick's day since if you didn't everyone pinched you. But as an adult, no one in the workplace dares to pinch others who are not wearing green.
    Imagine all the St Patricks day sexual harassment lawsuits.
    I just want to love you and squeeze you and call you George

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyrae View Post
    We have our share of catholics here in Jamaica. But we don't generally celebrate american holidays here. Except that there has been a recent trend -within the past couple of years- to celebrate Thanksgiving in Jamaica. Not sure why. And the hotels will do fireworks for the guests for Fourth of July.

I hope you made your husband make more brownies or buy a cake or something!!
    Maybe it's the immigrant population here that makes the specific saint feast days bigger? There are lots of different cultures here in Michigan so lots of holidays and celebrations are common that are unheard of elsewhere. I am on the border too so we get Canadian traffic for their national holidays as well. It is kind of cool.
    And as far as my husband I wouldn't want to eat his baked goods so I am lucky the kindergarten class is small and we had enough Brownies left.
    Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it.
    -Lewis Carroll

Nightclub Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkster73 View Post
    Sorry Lylahmae but this is entirely your fault. The note did not specifically say "Don't eat these!". Your husband is a man so therefore needs very specific direction. Even if you think it's obvious it's not to him. Next time leave a note on them saying specifically what not to do. Say it in big letters, slowly.
    This is true.

And be sure to make the directions on what not to do specific to him, i.e. "DH's name Do NOT eat these brownies."

Nightclub Owner
    Maybe it's the immigrant population here that makes the specific saint feast days bigger? There are lots of different cultures here in Michigan so lots of holidays and celebrations are common that are unheard of elsewhere. I am on the border too so we get Canadian traffic for their national holidays as well. It is kind of cool.
    Well we have National Heroes Day/Weekend in October where we celebrate our seven National Heroes. That is pretty much the only day dedicated to the celebration of people, besides Christmas, of course. The other huge holiday comes in August when we have Emancipation Day/weekend on the 1st and Independence Day/Weekend on the 6th. Labour Day is sometime in May and the other holidays are the traditional Ash Wednesday in March, Easter in April and Christmas and New Year's Day. I wish we could adopt your holidays and Canada's holidays and every other country's holidays. But alas, our government does not agree with me on this.