Page 63 of 121 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113 ... LastLast

Thread: The Whatever Thread, part 4. Woot!

Grand Emperor
    When used to de-ice driveway: "Kitty litter ... is nothing but glorified clay. While it will help with traction, it won’t actually melt snow (chemically speaking). It’ll just absorb it, leaving you with gobs of wet clay." The article didn't say if it was used or unused.

However:

"Did you know that of the 11 essential items to keep in your winter car kit, kitty litter is one of the top 3? If you find yourself stuck in snowy slush, non-clumping cat litter can be a lifesaver (or at least a timesaver). Pour it in the path of your wheels to help get traction.

And, as anyone who’s ever lifted a bag of cat litter knows, it’s really heavy, so if you keep it in the trunk, it’ll add weight to the rear of your vehicle, which can also improve traction."

Cat litter for this, I assume, is unused.

Rhino Keeper
    I just realized. It's going to take longer for the snow to melt, because there's salt in it and salt actually cools things down. Like putting salt in water to make it "boil faster" doesn't work because it lowers the temperatures.
    Apple. Random? I think not.

Grand Emperor
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDeLuxe View Post
    I just realized. It's going to take longer for the snow to melt, because there's salt in it and salt actually cools things down. Like putting salt in water to make it "boil faster" doesn't work because it lowers the temperatures.
    I don't get it. This might just be another joke that you knew I wouldn't get anyways. If so, that's fine. I'm used to it.

If salt makes it take longer for snow/ice to melt, why do people put salt on snow and ice to melt it? And it does work. I've seen it work on a relative's driveway.

When you put salt in water, its to raise the boiling point so the water is hotter when its boiling.

Bonus question: Why do snails dissolve when you put salt on them?

Rhino Keeper
    It's a tricky thing kinda hard to explain. When putting salt in water to make it boil faster it just makes the boiling point higher but longer to boil. When boiling the pot with the salt is hotter the pot with out is not.

Putting salt on ice make the temperature colder but when it eventually melts it'll be harder to become ice again.

Rhino Keeper
    By the way I don't always "joke".

"This might just be another joke that you knew I wouldn't get anyways."

I'm not out to get you. Some people get my jokes some people don't.
    Last edited by RougeDeLuxe; 03-04-14 at 02:31 PM. Reason: added quote

Grand Emperor
    I salt my walkway and I've actually sat and watched it almost dissolve the ice. It works fast. If you listen closely you can hear it too.

Bonus question answer: because snails are snotty in texture and salt dehydrates/dries out snott and other puss like and snotty textured things?
    I just want to love you and squeeze you and call you George

Grand Emperor
    Gel led nail polish at home: success!
    I just want to love you and squeeze you and call you George

Grand Emperor
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkster73 View Post
    Gel led nail polish at home: success!
    Need pics!

Grand Emperor
    Putting salt on ice does make it colder, like when you put rock salt and ice in an ice cream maker it gets really cold and makes ice cream.

Like salt raises the boiling point, it also lowers the freezing point. Putting salt on ice/snow it gets it to melt when its colder than 32 deg F (0 C).

I think we need to do an experiment with kitty litter. Pinkster, can you put some used kitty litter on your walkway (make sure its absorbed with a lot of cat pee) and see how it works compared to salt.

Need to look up the snail thing.

Executive Chef
    Hey it's fat Tuesday we should be eating delicious treats and drinking the rest of the pop not arguing about whether salt melts ice. My Pepsi is officially gone now and I had three paczki for breakfast. Let the fish fries begin!
    Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it.
    -Lewis Carroll