Page 83 of 121 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793 ... LastLast

Thread: The Whatever Thread, part 4. Woot!

Nightclub Owner
    Wow nmishii!!! I missed this on the news yesterday. Glad to hear you had no damage or injuries. Must have been scary. I've been in a 5.3 and it most definitely scared the **** out of me. I hate earthquakes. You can't really predict them, can't prepare for them and they seem to love happening at nights

Grand Emperor
    Quote Originally Posted by garsondavid View Post
    LOOK mypost
    I read it. It's freaky. A crane ate the scorpion?
    I just want to love you and squeeze you and call you George

Quote Originally Posted by nmishii View Post
    We had a 5.1 earthquake about 10-15 miles from me, just after 9pm last night. It shook the house up quite a bit, and started the pendulum on a cuckoo clock I got on a trip to Germany. No damage. This is the closest I've been to the epicenter of a quake.

Disneyland shut down its rides because there are aftershocks after with a 5% chance of a one being larger. I felt a couple of the aftershocks that were in the 3's. There were over 20 aftershocks in the first hour.

My work is near the epicenter and that area got hit hard. That area was on the news a lot last night because of the damage. Several houses and apartments were damaged so bad they were red tagged. Hoping my office building is red tagged, so I don't have to go in next week, but I think that is unlikely.

We we had a 4.4 a couple of weeks ago, but it was over 30 miles away and I didn't know about it until the news that night. Hopefully we don't get a big one.
    This reminds me of a time in third grade when a kid said that there was an earthquake warning in our area and that an earthquake would happen in the next couple of months. Some other kid went and googled it and found that the earthquake would be a 9.0-9.9 because we have not had an earthquake in a long time. Now here we are several years later and it still hasn't happened yet.
    The original copycats.

Contact me via PM

Please add me on bakery story, restaurant story, farm story, fashion story, pet shop story, and zoo story 2. My ID is copycats

Ketchup chips are delicious

Grand Emperor
    Quote Originally Posted by copycats View Post
    This reminds me of a time in third grade when a kid said that there was an earthquake warning in our area and that an earthquake would happen in the next couple of months. Some other kid went and googled it and found that the earthquake would be a 9.0-9.9 because we have not had an earthquake in a long time. Now here we are several years later and it still hasn't happened yet.
    Unlike tornados, hurricanes, and blizzards, to name a few, you really can't predict when an earthquake will occur or how big it will be. In recent years, they have been able to predict when an earthquake will occur within 4 seconds, but only those in the earthquake labs get this information. It still hasn't been deployed to the general population.

We've been told can get the "Big One" on one of our faults at anytime, and fortunately that hasn't happened yet.

They know that the fault that triggered the 5.1 earthquake on Friday has a big earthquake every 2500 years or so. But they don't know when the last one was.

Grand Emperor
    Quote Originally Posted by nmishii View Post
    Unlike tornados, hurricanes, and blizzards, to name a few, you really can't predict when an earthquake will occur or how big it will be. In recent years, they have been able to predict when an earthquake will occur within 4 seconds, but only those in the earthquake labs get this information. It still hasn't been deployed to the general population.

We've been told can get the "Big One" on one of our faults at anytime, and fortunately that hasn't happened yet.

They know that the fault that triggered the 5.1 earthquake on Friday has a big earthquake every 2500 years or so. But they don't know when the last one was.
    4 seconds sounds like a reasonable enough time to leave work and rush home and get into your special earthquake shelter.
    I just want to love you and squeeze you and call you George

Nightclub Owner
    Earthquakes are scary. The most powerful one we have ever had in Jamaica, I believe was in 1692 and is referred to as the Port Royal earthquake. Almost the entire town of Port Royal just sunk. People were reportedly just "swallowed" up by the earth. Sections of the town (streets, houses, office buildings) are perfectly preserved under water and it is a popular diving spot. Port Royal was also known as the wickedest place on earth at the time.

Rhino Keeper
    Wow All this earthquake, hurricane, and tornado talk.

Disasters Disasters, Where's the positive talk?
    Apple. Random? I think not.

Grand Emperor
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDeLuxe View Post
    Wow All this earthquake, hurricane, and tornado talk.

Disasters Disasters, Where's the positive talk?
    This is the Whatever Thread. Anyone can talk about whatever they want.

You are welcome to post anything positive you want. Maybe you can start a topic by talking about your car or job. Most of us have or have had a car, and have or have had a job, so we can join in on the conversation.

Grand Emperor
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyrae View Post
    Earthquakes are scary. The most powerful one we have ever had in Jamaica, I believe was in 1692 and is referred to as the Port Royal earthquake. Almost the entire town of Port Royal just sunk. People were reportedly just "swallowed" up by the earth. Sections of the town (streets, houses, office buildings) are perfectly preserved under water and it is a popular diving spot. Port Royal was also known as the wickedest place on earth at the time.
    Wow, didn't know that. That would be scary. Our faults are inland so it would have to be pretty massive to have our cities fall into the ocean. I'm inland enough so I'd have a better chance of having beachfront property afterwards rather than underground property. I think the largest damage and lives lost California had was in San Francisco in 1906, but I don't think we lost any land.

So tourists can go diving and see the ruins? That would be kind of neat to see.

Grand Emperor
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkster73 View Post
    4 seconds sounds like a reasonable enough time to leave work and rush home and get into your special earthquake shelter.
    Yeah, I know. The earthquake lady being interviewed the night of the earthquake sounded proud that they can predict an earthquake by 4 seconds. She rattled off things you can do in 4 seconds, but I can't recall any of them.

We don't have earthquake shelters. We're supposed to go under a table, preferably not near a window. Maybe people will start building shelters now that we know that one day we will have 4 seconds to get into one.