Page 84 of 121 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894 ... LastLast

Thread: The Whatever Thread, part 4. Woot!

Nightclub Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by nmishii View Post
    Wow, didn't know that. That would be scary. Our faults are inland so it would have to be pretty massive to have our cities fall into the ocean. I'm inland enough so I'd have a better chance of having beachfront property afterwards rather than underground property. I think the largest damage and lives lost California had was in San Francisco in 1906, but I don't think we lost any land.

So tourists can go diving and see the ruins? That would be kind of neat to see.
    Yep. It is pretty eerie how it all is just perfectly preserved.

Jamaica lies smack dab right on top of a big ole fault, as does most of the Caribbean. When the Caribbean gets an earthquake we really get an earthquake. We are long overdue apparently for a huge one here as well. People think the Caribbean is like paradise. Well no. We have earthquakes, hurricanes, volcanic activity and the occasional tornado. The tornado is a recent thing here in Jamaica. Seems like every year we get a couple smallish ones touching down. We don't call them tornados though. We call them "freak storms" because we are not supposed to have tornados!

There are a couple of mountains that have sand and sea shells on them, so...there are theories that we have had at least two tsunamis in Jamaica. We know about one that followed the earthquake that hit the western part of the island in 1780 and totally decimated Westmoreland parish.

Yeah, I know. The earthquake lady being interviewed the night of the earthquake sounded proud that they can predict an earthquake by 4 seconds. She rattled off things you can do in 4 seconds, but I can't recall any of them.
    One thing I can think of is, scream and run and be terrified. I think I can do all of that in 4 seconds. Did I tell you all what happened the last time we had a quake in my area? Well my office is on the second floor of a building. I was at my desk when I felt the quake. I got up calmly, ran quickly out of my office into the general office where my staff had gathered (why we all congregated there is anyone's guess!!). Then I ran back into my office to get my blackberry. It occured to me that if the building collapsed on top of us at least I would have my blackberry with me. Smh. All this happened during the 30 seconds or so of ground shaking. I think it was a 4.
    Last edited by bobbyrae; 04-01-14 at 02:08 PM.

Rhino Keeper
    This is the Whatever Thread. Anyone can talk about whatever they want.

You are welcome to post anything positive you want. Maybe you can start a topic by talking about your car or job. Most of us have or have had a car, and have or have had a job, so we can join in on the conversation.
    You don't have to get smart. But if that makes you feel good go ahead and keep getting "smart". Doesn't bother me.

What are you talking about? Oh wait you still think I'm somebody your stalking lol get over yourself, I can't believe you haven't got over that person.
    Apple. Random? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by RougeDeLuxe View Post
    You don't have to get smart. But if that makes you feel good go ahead and keep getting "smart". Doesn't bother me.

What are you talking about? Oh wait you still think I'm somebody your stalking lol get over yourself, I can't believe you haven't got over that person.
    My house and wife were destroyed during an earthquake Thursday and now live in an inn.

Grand Emperor
    Quote Originally Posted by garsondavid View Post
    My house and wife were destroyed during an earthquake Thursday and now live in an inn.
    I'm sorry to hear that. Is your wife injured or did she not survive the earthquake? I'm sorry about your house, and hopefully you can soon find a permanent place to live.

Where is Viena? I assumed Vienna, Austria, since there was a reference to Hitler, and there was no recent earthquake there.

https://earthquake-report.com/2014/03...-m4-5-or-more/

Grand Emperor
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyrae View Post
    Yep. It is pretty eerie how it all is just perfectly preserved.

Jamaica lies smack dab right on top of a big ole fault, as does most of the Caribbean. When the Caribbean gets an earthquake we really get an earthquake. We are long overdue apparently for a huge one here as well. People think the Caribbean is like paradise. Well no. We have earthquakes, hurricanes, volcanic activity and the occasional tornado. The tornado is a recent thing here in Jamaica. Seems like every year we get a couple smallish ones touching down. We don't call them tornados though. We call them "freak storms" because we are not supposed to have tornados!

There are a couple of mountains that have sand and sea shells on them, so...there are theories that we have had at least two tsunamis in Jamaica. We know about one that followed the earthquake that hit the western part of the island in 1780 and totally decimated Westmoreland parish.

One thing I can think of is, scream and run and be terrified. I think I can do all of that in 4 seconds. Did I tell you all what happened the last time we had a quake in my area? Well my office is on the second floor of a building. I was at my desk when I felt the quake. I got up calmly, ran quickly out of my office into the general office where my staff had gathered (why we all congregated there is anyone's guess!!). Then I ran back into my office to get my blackberry. It occured to me that if the building collapsed on top of us at least I would have my blackberry with me. Smh. All this happened during the 30 seconds or so of ground shaking. I think it was a 4.
    I only knew Jamaica had hurricanes. Didn't know about the other disasters until today. But at least you don't get blizzards and -41 deg C weather. And most of the time the weather is nice.

A lot of the earthquakes happen in the middle of the night, and it takes over 4 seconds for me to wake up, figure out that I'm in bed and there is an earthquake happening. Then I just lie in bed hoping the earthquake stops so I can get back to sleep. Only once did I get out of bed, and that was for a large earthquake over 50 miles away.

The earthquake last week happened when I was in the kitchen, and I stayed there in case the dishes and glasses were going to fall out of the cupboards, since I didn't want to have to clean up that mess. About 20-30 seconds. They're probably the things that mean the least to me and are the least expensive, but they're the messiest to clean up and that's what I was thinking at the time. Stupid. I didn't even think about my cell phone. Having been through so many earthquakes, I never once thought the whole house would collapse. I guess I should be smarter in case it does one day.

Grand Emperor
    Wow All this earthquake, hurricane, and tornado talk.

Disasters Disasters, Where's the positive talk?

Where's the positive talk?

I'm just suggesting you start a positive conversation and I listed general topics if you don't like the ones going on. Didn't like my suggestions? Then think of something positive going on in your life right now or life in general and talk about it.

And by the way, look in the mirror. I have noticed you stalking me in other threads and making "smart" comments about my posts without replying with quote. And in this thread also. I just don't comment on them; not worth it. You've also opened yourself up to a lot of "smart" comments in this thread that I refrain from making.

Nightclub Owner
    I'm sorry to hear that. Is your wife injured or did she not survive the earthquake? I'm sorry about your house, and hopefully you can soon find a permanent place to live.

Where is Viena? I assumed Vienna, Austria, since there was a reference to Hitler, and there was no recent earthquake there.

https://earthquake-report.com/2014/03...-m4-5-or-more/
    I assumed it was Vienna Austria as well. I too am sorry about garson's home and wife but am terribly confused about his post.

Grand Emperor
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyrae View Post
    Earthquakes are scary. The most powerful one we have ever had in Jamaica, I believe was in 1692 and is referred to as the Port Royal earthquake. Almost the entire town of Port Royal just sunk. People were reportedly just "swallowed" up by the earth. Sections of the town (streets, houses, office buildings) are perfectly preserved under water and it is a popular diving spot. Port Royal was also known as the wickedest place on earth at the time.
    Perfect cue for the religious nuts to start.

No offense to the religious nuts.
    I just want to love you and squeeze you and call you George

Grand Emperor
    Here's something positive:

My Dad's been promoted out of the intensive care unit into a medical teaching unit, and is now well enough to make angry faces, roll his eyes, refuse to follow instructions, and huff and puff in frustration at all of our irritatingness.

Oh and his first words when he came out of his coma weren't "where am I", or "I love you", etc. He said "Awww @*#%". Rhymes with hit.
    Last edited by pinkster73; 04-02-14 at 08:39 AM. Reason: added first post coma words
    I just want to love you and squeeze you and call you George

Nightclub Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkster73 View Post
    Perfect cue for the religious nuts to start.

No offense to the religious nuts.

Well, it really was quite the bed of wickedness according to history. The Pirates ruled in that part of Town, there was a ridiculous volume of all types of crime and debauchery, a total disregard for life or anything lawful, drinking, gambling, corruption were rife, bribes, robbery and murder were the thing. According to history books it was a total embarrassment. Which is interesting because so many politicians were paid from the pockets of the pirates.

Great news on your Dad!! I mean "great news" that he's out of his coma and back to his old self. Not "great news" that his first words were not "I love you". I suspect you all already know he loves you so he probably didn't feel the need to say it out loud.

Did you show him the pictures as yet? Maybe you can get an 'I love you" when you tell him how you sat by his bedside for 12 hours every single day praying and hoping and believing that he would make a full recovery from death's door, how he told you that he loved you best of all and that he was going to give you everything he owned once he got out of the hospital.