Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's going on with Living Wood?

Fashion Designer

Question What's going on with Living Wood?

Is anyone still getting living wood from trees?
    I've chopped 10 trees and got nothing.
    Just few weeks ago 3-5 trees gave away 1 living wood.
    Should I continue to waste energy and trees?
    Is it a new bug or TL decreased the rate for Christmas?

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by glimmergate View Post
    I just want to drop in and say that we absolutely do not change droprates of items based on player inventory, or based on what we are asking for in quests, building construction, or crafts. In general, we don't decrease droprates right before content updates either - in fact, more often than not we INCREASE droprates of items (see: dragon scales, adamant) once we start asking for them in the game.

It can often seem like droprates change because when you're actively trying for something, you pay more attention to how often you get it. Living Wood has a 4% droprate off ALL adult trees - this droprate hasn't changed in over a year. This is pretty rare item - that's 1 in 25 chops! And a little bit of bad or good luck can definitely change how often it's perceived to drop.

Hope this clears things up for you all. Please feel free to PM me if you have questions about specific droprates.
    Last edited by [S8] Elsa; 01-02-14 at 11:35 AM.

Executive Chef
    A room in a house in a town in Southeast Kansas
    Drop rates are known to decrease sharply when you need something, especially when there's a timer involved. I used to get a glimmerdust from about every 3-4 mushroom circles, now I'm barely getting one from every 20. They're trying to force gem purchases, plain and simple. They're getting richer by the day though, so apparently it's working. >:[

Rhino Keeper
    Yep...I used to always be maxed out and now I'm crafting it. Same with truffles.

Rhino Keeper
    Dynamic game balancing of drop rates does not occur in TL games. In other words, random drop rates are not affected by whatever it happens you are working on at that time. At least that's TL's "official" position on this issue.

Fashion Designer
    My sawmills have stop dropping living wood, I've collected several times recently and gotten none. I have 56 living wood, and keep being maxed on regular wood. I craft logs and things sometimes just to use the excess, not helping.

I want to chime in on this topic. Where has all the Living Wood gone? I use to always be maxed out, now I am lucky if I get 1 a day. I have chopped over 10 trees and 8 dead wood and did not get 1 living tree. My sawmill finally dropped one today. Its the first one I have gotten in days from any source. I am using all my energy to get wood land white petals to make enough for the exchange and this stupid 50 Forever Snow. I have been playing this game since March, I play daily and pay attention. This is not right. No one can tell me the drop rate for Living Wood is the same as it was 4 month ago.

Fashion Designer
    Same here. Used 40 energy on wood and got not a single living wood.

Rhino Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by TinksThots View Post
    Drop rates are known to decrease sharply when you need something, especially when there's a timer involved. I used to get a glimmerdust from about every 3-4 mushroom circles, now I'm barely getting one from every 20. They're trying to force gem purchases, plain and simple. They're getting richer by the day though, so apparently it's working. >:[
    I just want to drop in and say that we absolutely do not change droprates of items based on player inventory, or based on what we are asking for in quests, building construction, or crafts. In general, we don't decrease droprates right before content updates either - in fact, more often than not we INCREASE droprates of items (see: dragon scales, adamant) once we start asking for them in the game.

It can often seem like droprates change because when you're actively trying for something, you pay more attention to how often you get it. Living Wood has a 4% droprate off ALL adult trees - this droprate hasn't changed in over a year. This is pretty rare item - that's 1 in 25 chops! And a little bit of bad or good luck can definitely change how often it's perceived to drop.

Hope this clears things up for you all. Please feel free to PM me if you have questions about specific droprates.
    TeamLava Game Designer
    I'm happy to answer questions about Castle Story, Restaurant Story 2, and Fairy Tale Wonderland!

Rhino Keeper
    just to clarify the drop rate, is it purely random or do the previous results influence the result?
    i.e is every chop a 4% chance or do the odds increase slightly with each subsequent chop?
    If the odds do increase then is the algorithm cancelled once a different action is carried out.

A 4% drop rate with a purely random factor could easily lead to a nil drop after 100,000 chops.

Executive Chef
    A room in a house in a town in Southeast Kansas

Thank you for validating my post rather than just deleting it. I study psychology, and I'm familiar with the phenomenon you're referring to - it's the same one that makes people suddenly see a certain make and model of car everywhere once they own one too. I still disagree though, as it's much easier to accumulate hoards of just about anything when the game doesn't currently require it, and it doesn't take near as long to do so, but I'll agree to disagree at this point. Thanks again, I appreciate that you took the time to respond. :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast