Page 1 of 132 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Expansion Overview: Introduction to the Arctic Isles! [iOS]

Rhino Keeper

Expansion Overview: Introduction to the Arctic Isles! [iOS]

[Updates added in green]

It's going to be a cold, cold August

Welcome to the Arctic Isles, Caretakers! The expansion update is live: a new island, dozens of exclusive dragons, new features, quests, and one enormous dragon to awaken from his icy slumber! Update now and check out my overview of all the new features!

1. Unlocking the Arctic Isles, and the Arctic Airship

Players levels 35 and higher can unlock the Arctic Isles by breeding an Ice Age Dragon! Once the breeding has finished, you'll be prompted by Freza (a new character!) to jump aboard the Arctic Airship to take the frozen egg to the new world for incubation! Breeding an Ice Age dragon isn't too tough, just combine a purple colored dragon with a Winter Dragon and see what happens!

The Arctic Airship is your ticket back and forth between the Dragon Isles and the Arctic Isles. Once you've unlocked the new world, you can always click on the airship and travel from one world to the next!

2. Glacius, the Ancient

Frozen atop the Arctic Isles, Glacius the Ancient awaits Caretakers who have proven their worth in this cold and magical new world. Collect 9 unique dragons from the Arctic Isles and evolve them to level 10 to awaken him!

Collecting the dragons and earning Glacius the Ancient works just like an award in the Album. You can track your progress by clicking on Glacius, and once you've completed the objective simply click "Awaken" and watch him burst free from the ice!

Glacius doesn't produce coins, you don't have to feed or evolve him, and he can't breed or be traded. He is the ultimate achievement in Dragon Story!

Glacius, the Ancient! (awoken from an icy slumber)

3. New Dragon Types

There are three new dragon types in the Arctic Island: Ice Age Dragons, Blizzard Dragons, and Abominable Dragons. We are releasing three dragons in each type at the launch of the Arctic Isles expansion, but more dragons are coming to join their friends in each of the new habitats.

Abominable, Blizzard, and Ice Age Banners

Unlike dragons from the Dragon Isle's, Arctic Isle dragons produce special parts instead of coins. Each type produces a unique part, and these parts are essential to Caretaker success in the new world. These parts can be crafted into the egg-warming Mystic Flames!

Ancient Oil, Flammable Fur, and Dragon Wind. Produced by Ice Age, Abominable, and Blizzard type dragons, respectively.

4. Mystic Flames and the Frozen Nest

In this cold world, dragon eggs need extra warmth to incubate before they can be hatched. Instead of just waiting for a timer to run down, players can now manually warm frozen eggs with Mystic Flames to hatch them much faster than ever before.

Since eggs are bred frozen in the Arctic Isles, you won't see which dragon egg you've bred until you've warmed it most of the way to hatching, but you'll see a little baby peek out along the way!

Mystic Flames is a new currency that can be crafted at a new building called the Fire Mill. This building works just like the Dragon Isle's Spell Shop; you collect parts and combine them together to make something new.

Like growing food, crafting Mystic Fire can be done in small, fast, cheap batches, or larger, slower, more expensive batches. Parts produced by Ice Age dragons, which are called Ancient Oil, are the easiest to obtain and are thus required for the easiest Mystic Fire recipes. Since Abominable type dragons require Ice Age dragons to discover, their parts, Flammable Fur, are harder to come by, and are required in the more efficient recipes for crafting Mystic Flames.

5. Silos

We've introduced 2 storage-like silo buildings with the Arctic Isles: the Fire Crucible and the Silo. The Fire Crucible stores your collection of Mystic Flames, while the Silo stores the ingredients you collect from your new dragons. Each of these buildings has a maximum capacity that can be raised by upgrading the building. You can check in the Silo to see how many of each part you've collected so far!

The Fire Crucible

6. Breeding

While it's too cold here for dragons from your original island to be comfortable, they can fly over for a quick stop in the Breeding Den. A few of the dragons in the Arctic Isles require a color from the original island to be bred. Dragons from those islands appear in one of the columns when you're selecting dragons to breed. As soon as breeding is finished however, dragons will return to their habitats on their home islands.

7. Frozen Food

Arctic Isle dragons eat Arctic Isle food, and you can grow it in the Frozen Farm and Large Frozen Farm. Feed your chilly dragons Abominapples and Spicicles and watch them grow! Your food total displayed on the top of your screen will only display food from the island you're currently viewing. Coins and Gold work across all your islands though, so those numbers will always be the same!

Let us know if you have any questions. I hope you enjoy your time in the Arctic Isles! And to give you an idea of just how big Glacius is... here he is slumbering next to my level 10 Ice Age Dragon:

Glacius is waiting for YOU!
    Last edited by JakeStorm8; 08-08-13 at 01:12 PM.

Rhino Keeper
    OMG this is amazing! Jake you were right this is the biggest update ever! Just updated DS and cant wait to breed my very first Ice Age dragon Woohoo!

Show off your Arctic Island here.

Edit(KP)- Here are some threads for the dragons where you can add your combos and pictures.

Ice Age Type Dragons

Blizzard Type Dragons

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix406 View Post
    The Arctic Isles are very limited. You can only have 2 of each habitat, each of which only holds 3 dragons, so 3 types of habitats x 2 of each = 6 habitats x 3 dragons each = 18 dragons. And there are exactly 18 types of Arctic dragons, so you can only have 1 of each at the end. You can have up to 6 of one type right now if you have 2 habitats. Before I "completed" the Isles, i would hatch the duplicates that I had room for so that they could at least earn ancient oil or flammable fur or whatever the other one is, but I had to sell them off as I hatched more and more dragons. It took me forever to get the diamond hybrids, though, so I always had room for at least a couple duplicates up until I finished.

Abominable Type Dragons
    Last edited by kooky panda; 04-04-19 at 10:32 AM.

Executive Chef
    one word: EPIIIIC!

Executive Chef
    Holy {}. This is alot of info.
    Last edited by greygull; 08-08-13 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Removed implied inappropriate language

Rhino Keeper
    Looks cool.

Rhino Keeper
    Pony says to use this thread so what is the breeding timer for ice age? Anyone?

Amazing!! Can't wait!!!

Executive Chef
    i'm wondering why nobody has experienced the new isles yet o,o

Rhino Keeper
    Magic + Winter = 8 Hours. Night fail and Hypno fail first

Executive Chef
    Ice Age breeding is 4hrs 8 gold to speed up.

Page 1 of 132 123451151101 ... LastLast