Thread: What's the goal?

Executive Chef

What's the goal?

What's the goal in this game? There aren't any quest or targets, but besides mastering every crop, reaching lvl 100 (is that possible?) and spicing your farm up, I don't see any goals. In BS/RS/FS/PSS you get targets/goals/quests, in DS you can try to get each dragon and get quests, but what's the goal in FS?

Rhino Keeper
    I personally just like the sheer amount of decorations available. I loved Legos growing up, and I like games which let me build things. In this case I get to build a pretty looking farm, and when I get bored I change out the buildings and layout to something new. Sometimes you dont need a goal to have fun, but I do realize there are different types of gamers out there who are driven by different things in games (and the sad thing is there is a gamer test to see what kind you are).

Yeah, I agree, it would be more fun if there were goals. I only started playing to get gems for RS and BS, but then found I was enjoying it. Now its just getting a little boring without any goals.

Farm Supplier
    The goal is whatever you make it. Recently, my goal was to expand as big as possible for the level and get 4 of every tree on my farm, which I just accomplished earlier this week when I hit level 50. The trees take a little more than half my farm space right now. As I master them, I'll remove them and slowly add farm land for planting.

My other goal right now is to master crops to level 2. I'm finished with fruits and most of the way through veggies, so next I'll start on grains and then flowers. It's going to take a while.

After that's accomplished, I plan to start decorating and arranging my farm to look more attractive while working on mastering to level 4. The reason I'm waiting is that I really want the trees mastered and out of the way (yes, it will take a long time), and I want a lot of gems to play with for decorating.

I enjoy playing the game and I am pleased there are no quests to do and my neighbours and I have a good chat as well.

Executive Chef
    Wasn't there V-Day goals like 2 years ago?

Executive Chef
    The fun in this game is that no one bosses you around to do this and that, you can have your own fun, master the crops that you want, expand at your own rate, decorate how you like it. It's so nice and relaxing and just fun! In dragon story, for instance, I've just given up on goals, there's too many of them and most of them tell you to get rare breeds that are hard to come by, so instead I just do the ones I want to or like and if I ever come across a rare one, it's more like a bonus rather than trying to chase the impossible. Some people like being told what to do every step of the way, but I think that the beauty in farm story is how open of a sandbox kind of game it is, you can do anything you like.

Executive Chef
    Farm Story was TL's first game. It was a simpler time back then. It has never been goal-driven like the other games are. In the beginning, there were no goals and no mastery. But even as TL has added mastery, collectibles, and occasional goals, they have kept the spirit of the game fairly consistent--a decorating game. For some of us, that's enough. For others, it isn't. You just have to decide if the game is for you.

New Resident
    I love it because goals usually tell you to spend your money on certain things. "buy 3 bushes."
    Maybe I didn't want to ways my money on 3 bushes. I like FS because you can build and design how you want.