Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gold cost taxed?

Farm Supplier

Gold cost taxed?

Okay, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I was playing and buying gold through google play. Now I'm using apple (aps?) for the iPad....and the first time I purchased gold since switching , I notice I was charged tax for the gold purchase. Is this normal? Why would apple collect tax and not google? I tried downloading the valentines day dragon story using google, but it wouldn't let me. Any ideas around this?

Rhino Keeper
    Yes, this is normal.

itunes automatically charges tax IF your billing address is within a state that requires tax on e-transactions. They crosscheck the billing address with your card information though, so you can't fudge the info to get around it.

Based on what you've said, google must not charge taxes. So that would be your workaround.

Rhino Keeper
    That's why I buy prepaid iTunes cards, and not use a debit / credit card

Executive Chef
    I believe it depends on the state you live in and if there is any Google or Apple companies in your state. I never had to pay sales tax when buying from Google (amazon) until they opened a distribution center in my state. Now I have to pay sales tax on all purchases.

Banned
    Thats why I like buying on android. The price is the price, final and all. I hate how itunes tax for every little thing.

I can't avoid the tax either way with apple and google. I get charged tax's from both companies, credit card or the iTunes and google play giftcards. My husband said it was required in the USA now any online transaction is now taxable if you live in one of the 50 states of the US. So if it hasn't caught up to ya be thankful lol

Executive Chef
    Not only the US
    I'm in Asia and its happening to me too!
    iTunes charged me $39.95 for a $4.99 gold purchase
    I didn't know about it until I got my credit card bill
    I was shocked to say the least! I thought it was my bank (my card issuer) over charging me
    I tried an Internet card but it's just as bad

I got an ITunes card as a birthday gift once and was pleasantly surprised when I saw it charged me exactly the amount I purchased. So I agree with MazReptile, prepaid iTunes cards is the best way to go

Fashion Designer
    Quote Originally Posted by NouraMoh View Post
    Not only the US
    I was shocked to say the least! I thought it was my bank (my card issuer) over charging me

I got an ITunes card as a birthday gift once and was pleasantly surprised when I saw it charged me exactly the amount I purchased. So I agree with MazReptile, prepaid iTunes cards is the best way to go
    That's....quite a jump if that's a tax. Are you sure that's what it is? Could it be some sort of other error? I just hate to think taxes would do that.

I'm used to buying stuff on an Android phone where everything was charged to ******. I hadn't really thought how changing to iOS might be more expensive.

Also I have to ask why prepaid cards are better. Don't you pay taxes on those too? I've bought iTunes gift cards when they were on sale and I'm fairly certain I was charged the tax rate in my state.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NouraMoh View Post
    Not only the US

Solis is correct taxes aren't that high ..... Taxes depending on the package you bought shoul be Less than 2 dollars
    I once bought the 4.99 package and was charged 5.35 but that's it

Executive Chef
    I have no idea why I'm being over charged
    I wrote TL, iTunes and my bank
    Nobody is giving me a straight answer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast