Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The plural of fish is fish

Rhino Keeper

The plural of fish is fish

I cringe a little every time I see "+2 Fishes" :-/

Lmao. At least they could say 'Fishies'. I think fishies would be acceptable......For a 3yr old, but acceptable nonetheless.

Could you please send us a screenshot of this? Or let us know where you see this? Thank you.
    Storm8 Staff - PikaSquirrel
    Need help? Contact Storm8 through support.storm8.com
    Got a new device? Transfer your games here!
    Have Facebook or Twitter? LIKE and FOLLOW us here!

Nightclub Owner
    It's when you collect multiple fish from your ponds/wells.

New Resident
    Cringe all you want but both are correct. As the species of fish isn't named (although they all look identical) fishes is correct.
    In British English (which lets face it is far superior ) people use fishes all the time as the plural of fish.

The Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary says:
    fish
    noun (pl. fish or fishes) Fish is the usual plural form. The older form, fishes, can be used to refer to different kinds of fish.

Fashion Designer
    Hmm....There's something fishy about this thread ....very educational ....

Rhino Keeper
    You learn something new every day I stand corrected. Though I'd probably still correct my kids if they wrote something like "there are many fishes in the sea". After all even dr seuss says "1 fish, 2 fish, red fish, blue fish"

Rhino Keeper
    I love the fishes!

Rhino Keeper
    I was about to post this. Fishes is correct for multiple species. Since it is a picture of one type of fish it should be + 2 fish.

The plural of fish is usually fish, but fishes has a few uses. In biology, for instance, fishes is used to refer to multiple species of fish. For instance, if you say you saw four fish when scuba diving, that means you saw four individual fish, but if you say you saw four fishes, we might infer that you saw an undetermined number of fish of four different species. Fishes? also serves as the plural possessive for fish?i.e., fishes?. And of course fishes is the present-progressive verb (e.g., she fishes in the river).
    https://grammarist.com/usage/fish-fishes/

Fashion Designer
    Just to throw it out there, ever heard the expression 'Swimming with the fishes' even my ipad is not complaining about 'fishes'. I would just be very happy to get multiple collections of fish right now, no matter how it is spelt!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast