Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: iOS 6, Is It Worth It?

iOS 6, Is It Worth It?

I'm stuck whether to update my iPod Touch to iOS 6. There's nothing real HUGE and significant to this update, plus, YouTube is gone. This update takes about 2.4 GB on my device and I only have an 8GB device. Because of TeamLava's games and my other 15-20 apps are high in MB. If I update, I may have to delete a few games. Let alone my iPod only has 3 "songs" on it.

What do you iOS users think I should do? And have you updated yourself?

Nightclub Owner
    I haven't updated yet, I'm waiting to make sure all the Apps I use have upgraded to allow for iOS 6 capability first. The file size is showing 561 mb in my General - Software Update for my iPad 2. I wonder why your file size is so much larger than mine?

Senior Moderator
    I'm bad - I wait and wait until I update. How is YouTube gone? It deletes the app? Even if it did, shouldn't you still be able to access it from Safari?
    Whenever you are having issues, try these two things first - restart your device,
    and delete and reinstall the app. Your progress is saved on TLs servers.
    Contact me by PM

Quote Originally Posted by greygull View Post
    I'm bad - I wait and wait until I update. How is YouTube gone? It deletes the app? Even if it did, shouldn't you still be able to access it from Safari?
    I hated the YouTube app installed into iOS devices, but then YouTube never kept my history is Safari and after iOS 5, I could never open up YouTube in Safari. So now I like the default YouTube app. But now Apple hasn't renewed their license with Google, so Google Maps is gone and YouTube is gone in iOS 6.

Senior Moderator
    Google Maps is gone? Ok, that one would make me not want to update. I use that one a lot more than YouTube.

I love randomly looking around in there - I've found all kinds of nifty things
    Whenever you are having issues, try these two things first - restart your device,
    and delete and reinstall the app. Your progress is saved on TLs servers.
    Contact me by PM

Quote Originally Posted by greygull View Post
    Google Maps is gone? Ok, that one would make me not want to update. I use that one a lot more than YouTube.

I love randomly looking around in there - I've found all kinds of nifty things
    I only updated because I thought Maps on iPod Touch would have the 3D capability, but it's only for iPhones.

I'm using iOS 6 on the 4S, I love it! Don't worry about YouTube. Pretty much the app is a little bit different, and it needs to be downloaded from the App Store, and can in turn be deleted. Just search YouTube in the App Store, it's there. There is no more google maps, but apple released their new map app that took google maps place. The new maps app is fine, it has turn by turn directions tho which is nice. It's different from google, but once u get used to it, probably an improvement. Also if u have iPad 3, you can get Siri. Definitely recommend downloading it, just make sure to back up the device first. I know that the iPhone 4, 4S, and 5 can get it, I'm not positive about the 3GS. iPod touch 4th generation and the new 5th generation (coming out soon) can do iOS 6. And iPad 2 and 3 can, maybe also 1, not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bawpotter View Post
    I'm using iOS 6 on the 4S, I love it! Don't worry about YouTube. Pretty much the app is a little bit different, and it needs to be downloaded from the App Store, and can in turn be deleted. Just search YouTube in the App Store, it's there. There is no more google maps, but apple released their new map app that took google maps place. The new maps app is fine, it has turn by turn directions tho which is nice. It's different from google, but once u get used to it, probably an improvement. Also if u have iPad 3, you can get Siri. Definitely recommend downloading it, just make sure to back up the device first. I know that the iPhone 4, 4S, and 5 can get it, I'm not positive about the 3GS. iPod touch 4th generation and the new 5th generation (coming out soon) can do iOS 6. And iPad 2 and 3 can, maybe also 1, not sure.
    I know the iPod Touch 5th generation also has Siri. I REALLY want Siri, but I don't like the back of the iPod. I don't like the material it's made out of and I don't like that you can see the WiFi sensor like it was on the iPods 1-3.
    All I can do on the Maps app is search and get directions. I cant get step by step directions because I'm not on 3G. I'm only on WiFi. I don't get WiFi on the road.
    I tested the YouTube app a few days ago. I still have it, but it needs improvement. I want to be able to watch the videos in portrait and landscape mode. You can only watch in landscape. Plus, it doesn't keep your history unless you're logged into an account. I don't have a YouTube account anymore, and I don't really want another one.

Grand Emperor
    You should probably get a Samsung galaxy nexus.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkster73 View Post
    You should probably get a Samsung galaxy nexus.
    Orrrrrrrr... not.

Androids seem too... complex for me. Honestly.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast