Page 71 of 130 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121 ... LastLast

Thread: Bakery: Increase in Prices

Executive Chef
    I would just like to correct everyone here who claims to lose money when they bake. Yes - at face value, you lose the money when you spend it on baking. However, when you look at the cost to bake a recipe, versus what you actually make once it's all sold, you do earn money - just not straight away. You just don't earn it fast enough which is why when you look at short term impact on your coin count, it appears that you are losing money.

Nightclub Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by filochick1982 View Post
    I would just like to correct everyone here who claims to lose money when they bake. Yes - at face value, you lose the money when you spend it on baking. However, when you look at the cost to bake a recipe, versus what you actually make once it's all sold, you do earn money - just not straight away. You just don't earn it fast enough which is why when you look at short term impact on your coin count, it appears that you are losing money.
    Most, if not all, are aware of that. The problem is that they've slowed the customer rate down as well which means those of us with millions of plates or food and hundreds of counters already, are not selling what we have, let alone making the piddly amount of money if we bake at the costs TL has put on the recipes now. So, because the cost to bake has gone up and the rate of customers eating the food and paying us has gone down, we ARE losing money when we bake. We'd have to STOP baking in order to make enough money to afford the appliances, decorations, and for those that haven't expanded yet, the expansions.

I played this game to bake and decorate, not bake, wait a few months, then decorate and hope the decorations I wanted or the recipes I needed to master for gems were not pulled for new offers by TL.

Executive Chef
    Yes I believe I mentioned that you just don't earn money fast enough due to lower quantity of customers coming in. At face value, you APPEAR to be losing money. But you're not actually losing money, which is what I wanted to point out. It's misleading to say you're losing money, because you're not.

Quote Originally Posted by queentina3 View Post
    Most, if not all, are aware of that. The problem is that they've slowed the customer rate down as well which means those of us with millions of plates or food and hundreds of counters already, are not selling what we have, let alone making the piddly amount of money if we bake at the costs TL has put on the recipes now. So, because the cost to bake has gone up and the rate of customers eating the food and paying us has gone down, we ARE losing money when we bake. We'd have to STOP baking in order to make enough money to afford the appliances, decorations, and for those that haven't expanded yet, the expansions.

I played this game to bake and decorate, not bake, wait a few months, then decorate and hope the decorations I wanted or the recipes I needed to master for gems were not pulled for new offers by TL.

Rhino Keeper
    I will give you an example to explain to you why you actually do "lose" money. Let's say you make Sweet Tea for 1,000 coins. In profit you will only make 500 coins because you need to subtract the 1,000 you paid from the 1,500 profit total. If you wanted to cook another Sweet Tea you would just be losing money! The only dishes that make you enough money to cook the same dish again are the dishes that take 12 hours - 2 days to cook. If you do the math you will see why so many people are concerned about baking food! Every dish used to earn you money no matter how much or little profit you earned compared to how much you paid to bake it. With the price double, yes, you're still making money; but how can you afford to cook the same dish again if the previous dish you just cooked doesn't give you enough profit to do that?

Nightclub Owner
    Yes I believe I mentioned that you just don't earn money fast enough due to lower quantity of customers coming in. At face value, you APPEAR to be losing money. But you're not actually losing money, which is what I wanted to point out. It's misleading to say you're losing money, because you're not.
    If your daily output is more than your daily input, you're in the red and losing money. It doesn't matter what the end-of-quarter books look like if your end of month books can't pay your bills. That is what is happening here. People are spending 100,000 to bake today but only getting 50,000 back, that is a loss. When the other 60,000 comes in, guess what, they've just spent another 100,000 in output. If they stop baking they input will catch up with the output, but they'd have to stop baking for that to happen.

That isn't a way to play the game, not in my opinion. It seems many others agree, as they've stopped baking so they could accumulate their coins.

Rhino Keeper
    That isn't a way to play the game, not in my opinion.
    I completely agree with you! I let my counters run out of food completely before I start baking again because I know I would be losing money if I didn't.

Executive Chef
    Whilst I completely agree with you, I just wanted to point out from a mathematical perspective that you are not losing coins.

If your daily output is more than your daily input, you're in the red and losing money. It doesn't matter what the end-of-quarter books look like if your end of month books can't pay your bills. That is what is happening here. People are spending 100,000 to bake today but only getting 50,000 back, that is a loss. When the other 60,000 comes in, guess what, they've just spent another 100,000 in output. If they stop baking they input will catch up with the output, but they'd have to stop baking for that to happen.

That isn't a way to play the game, not in my opinion. It seems many others agree, as they've stopped baking so they could accumulate their coins.

Rhino Keeper
    I think what filochick is saying is that since all recipes still result in a profit (not much, but still a profit nonetheless), you don't really lose money. What the increased cost is doing, is affecting your cash flow. You coins will be down with continued baking (because the food is not selling as fast as you're baking), but technically, the money is there -- sitting on the counters. It will convert to coins as food sells.

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by OrdinaryJoe View Post
    I think what filochick is saying is that since all recipes still result in a profit (not much, but still a profit nonetheless), you don't really lose money. What the increased cost is doing, is affecting your cash flow. You coins will be down with continued baking (because the food is not selling as fast as you're baking), but technically, the money is there -- sitting on the counters. It will convert to coins as food sells.
    Yes!!!!! It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who sees it this way.

It's misleading to say you're not making a profit and losing coins when you're not. What is happening is that your cashflow is out of whack.

New Resident
    I had not realized what was going on. I don't regularly go in and check the prices of expansions and I figured I'd just forgotten the prices (I do work full time and go to college full time, so what virtual baked goods cost does not stick in my mind). However, I knew that I had enough money saved up for two expansions, decorating to incorporate them into the rest of my bakery and to continue baking. After coming to the discussion boards to check something for MS I decided to hop over here and see what was new. I just stored all my chairs and tables and will start storing appliances as what is currently baking gets completed. Then, for good measure, I went around and uninstalled my other 'story' games. These games were my mental vacation from school, however there is nothing relaxing about stagnation. While I may not be losing money, with the costs of food, appliances, decorations, expansions, etc. increasing, I will certainly never raise enough money to advance. Sure, I could get to level 97. But with almost 200k xp to get there it wouldn't be any fun to do so. I will check back on these pages every so often and see if it would be enjoyable or worth it to come back. I left my food out so I will have probably millions of plates of food just sitting in my bakery with no chairs and 0 hearts until changes are made or my account is deleted. I will still go in and tip any neighbors who stay in the game and respond to materials requests. I just can't justify spending the little amount of free time I have on a game where I will never get anywhere.