Thread: Dog Bowl

Unregistered

Question Dog Bowl

I have noticed the majority of gifts sent are dog bowls and I'm wondering why exactly do most people send dog bowls?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I have noticed the majority of gifts sent are dog bowls and I'm wondering why exactly do most people send dog bowls?
    Because the person who receives the gift can sell it and use the money toward something they really want. Dog bowls have the best resale value in the gift categories. So if your neighbours are only sending you bowls, they are doing so as a kindness.

deadpix
    This is sort of like the Chinese practice of giving "Red Packets", known as "Hong Paos", at birthdays and weddings, which hold various sums of money. The practice allows for the recipient to purchase something that he/she would like rather than something we have sitting on our shelves.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpix View Post
    This is sort of like the Chinese practice of giving "Red Packets", known as "Hong Paos", at birthdays and weddings, which hold various sums of money. The practice allows for the recipient to purchase something that he/she would like rather than something we have sitting on our shelves.
    Um, that's a western practise too. But in regular envelopes, not red ones.

deadpix
    Um, that's a western practise too. But in regular envelopes, not red ones.
    I know, but the western practise is a rather recent adoption whereas the Chinese one goes back a long, long way.

I'm seen enough years to remember receiving towels, bedsheets, silverware and other gifts from my western friends and these "Red Packets" from my Chinese friends at my wedding.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpix View Post
    I know, but the western practise is a rather recent adoption whereas the Chinese one goes back a long, long way.

I'm seen enough years to remember receiving towels, bedsheets, silverware and other gifts from my western friends and these "Red Packets" from my Chinese friends at my wedding.
    Ya, I'm pretty old too lol

And i can remember cash being the norm for b.days and weddings, well since birth. Ok, I can't remember my birth. Don't forget Italians have been around a long time too eh, and my Brit half of the family cash is traditional gift for weddings, etc. Only Christmas do u get towels etc. Just saying. Chinese are not the only ones who have this tradition, nor do ours come from them. We have our own, that it's similar perhaps who is to say they didn't copy from us....at some point way back, we were all the same anyways, no?

deadpix
    Ya, I'm pretty old too lol

And i can remember cash being the norm for b.days and weddings, well since birth. Ok, I can't remember my birth. Don't forget Italians have been around a long time too eh, and my Brit half of the family cash is traditional gift for weddings, etc. Only Christmas do u get towels etc. Just saying. Chinese are not the only ones who have this tradition, nor do ours come from them. We have our own, that it's similar perhaps who is to say they didn't copy from us....at some point way back, we were all the same anyways, no?
    Yep, I remember reading a paper where a geneticist was attempting to prove that we could all trace our genes back to a single woman. Your sharing about the practice of giving cash as gifts has also pique my interest and I'll be reading up more on that too :-)