Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: The COMPLAIN ABOUT THE WEATHER Thread

Executive Chef
    Went to trick or treat at the state park tonite. It was like 45? with wind and rain. But we had fun! My daughter got a big bag of candy which I will cherry pick.

Executive Chef
    A bitter and lonely state of cruelty and injustice
    Quote Originally Posted by lylahmae View Post
    Went to trick or treat at the state park tonite. It was like 45? with wind and rain. But we had fun! My daughter got a big bag of candy which I will cherry pick.
    What? Who gave you the candy? I thought Halloween was later.

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by sterlingempire View Post
    What? Who gave you the candy? I thought Halloween was later.
    The state parks in Michigan have Halloween parties on the weekends in October where the kids can trick or treat. They hand out candy at all the camp are sites and nobody can come in or out for two hours. There is a big state park where I live and my daughter's friend was staying there for the Halloween thing so we got candy early...in the wind and rain.

Executive Chef
    A bitter and lonely state of cruelty and injustice
    Quote Originally Posted by lylahmae View Post
    The state parks in Michigan have Halloween parties on the weekends in October where the kids can trick or treat. They hand out candy at all the camp are sites and nobody can come in or out for two hours. There is a big state park where I live and my daughter's friend was staying there for the Halloween thing so we got candy early...in the wind and rain.
    Aha... thanks.

Grand Emperor
    I've lived in Southern California my whole life and its 88 deg F (31 C) there today. But I'm temporarily working in the Boston area and this is my first fall and winter where the weather drastically changes. Today its raining and 64 deg F (18 C) and yes, I'm complaining. The other night I got back to the hotel after midnight and it was in the 30s F.

At the end of Sept I went into Boston when it was cold and raining. The next day I told a local co-worker that in Sept people in Boston were wearing winter coats and jackets that we wear in Dec or Jan in California. He said, "Those weren't winter coats, they were windbreakers!"

I know my winter clothes won't keep me warm in the Boston area. I went shopping for a winter coat/jacket yesterday and had no idea what to get to keep me warm during the winter, or if what was on the rack was for today's weather or for when its snowing. I asked another shopper and was told to get something puffy and preferably with down. Question for those with cold winters: What would you get? I just need it for one winter.

Nightclub Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by nmishii View Post
    I've lived in Southern California my whole life and its 88 deg F (31 C) there today. But I'm temporarily working in the Boston area and this is my first fall and winter where the weather drastically changes. Today its raining and 64 deg F (18 C) and yes, I'm complaining. The other night I got back to the hotel after midnight and it was in the 30s F.

At the end of Sept I went into Boston when it was cold and raining. The next day I told a local co-worker that in Sept people in Boston were wearing winter coats and jackets that we wear in Dec or Jan in California. He said, "Those weren't winter coats, they were windbreakers!"

I know my winter clothes won't keep me warm in the Boston area. I went shopping for a winter coat/jacket yesterday and had no idea what to get to keep me warm during the winter, or if what was on the rack was for today's weather or for when its snowing. I asked another shopper and was told to get something puffy and preferably with down. Question for those with cold winters: What would you get? I just need it for one winter.
    LMAO, they were windbreakers as that is what most people wear around these here parts in the Fall. A heavy winter coat with down is preferable, however where you actually are you won't have as much of the breeze from the water. You're not in Boston right, just the 128 belt of Woburn/Burlington? There are some bad downdrafts in that area in the winter so maybe go to D I C K' S Sporting Goods (it would star out the name if I didn't use spaces), LL Bean, Burlington Coat Factory, or Sports Authority and get a jacket that has good insulation with a thick hood. Since you're so used to So. Cal weather, I would even suggest a Ski Jacket, as that may be best for you since you're not used to the really cold temps.

I know there is a Work n Gear that I used to go to for my Dad's workboots, thermal underwear, and vests that he used to use for work (he worked on generators on top of buildings in Boston during the winters) and they sometimes had sales that I'd hit. You could try looking there for a heavy winter coat, but I think the closest ones to where you're staying is Watertown or Saugus. You could always shoot up Rt 3 and go to the one by the Pheasant Lane Mall in Nashua. That is the one he goes to now since they closed the one they used to have in the Natick/Framingham area in Ma. He doesn't really like the one they have in Worcester so just shoots up here and goes to mine instead.

Grand Emperor
    Quote Originally Posted by queentina3 View Post
    LMAO, they were windbreakers as that is what most people wear around these here parts in the Fall. A heavy winter coat with down is preferable, however where you actually are you won't have as much of the breeze from the water. You're not in Boston right, just the 128 belt of Woburn/Burlington? There are some bad downdrafts in that area in the winter so maybe go to D I C K' S Sporting Goods (it would star out the name if I didn't use spaces), LL Bean, Burlington Coat Factory, or Sports Authority and get a jacket that has good insulation with a thick hood. Since you're so used to So. Cal weather, I would even suggest a Ski Jacket, as that may be best for you since you're not used to the really cold temps.

I know there is a Work n Gear that I used to go to for my Dad's workboots, thermal underwear, and vests that he used to use for work (he worked on generators on top of buildings in Boston during the winters) and they sometimes had sales that I'd hit. You could try looking there for a heavy winter coat, but I think the closest ones to where you're staying is Watertown or Saugus. You could always shoot up Rt 3 and go to the one by the Pheasant Lane Mall in Nashua. That is the one he goes to now since they closed the one they used to have in the Natick/Framingham area in Ma. He doesn't really like the one they have in Worcester so just shoots up here and goes to mine instead.
    Thanks. Oddly, in the 3 months I've been here, I don't recall seeing a Burlington Coat Factory here, but know where they are near my house in CA. Yes, Woburn/Burlington area. Watertown and Saugus are both 9-10 miles away, so I'll check out Work n Gear. I work indoors, but will probably need the clothing people out here get when they work outdoors. I know where the LL Bean and Sports Authority are. I need to find the Burlington Coat Factory and D I C K's. Thanks!

Grand Emperor
    Coats with down are the best. Beware of imposter coats that look exactly like the down coats but are actually polyester filled. Read the labels.

Executive Chef
    It is sunny in Manitoba today

Nightclub Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by nmishii View Post
    Thanks. Oddly, in the 3 months I've been here, I don't recall seeing a Burlington Coat Factory here, but know where they are near my house in CA. Yes, Woburn/Burlington area. Watertown and Saugus are both 9-10 miles away, so I'll check out Work n Gear. I work indoors, but will probably need the clothing people out here get when they work outdoors. I know where the LL Bean and Sports Authority are. I need to find the Burlington Coat Factory and D I C K's. Thanks!
    There is a Burlington Coat Factory in Billerica, which is about 8-10 miles from Woburn. It is really easy to get to from the Burlington Mall, which I'm sure you've driven by or seen half a dozen times by now. It is on Rt 3a (Boston Rd) and you can get it from Rt 128 or from Burlington Mall Rd. I used to go to that one all the time when I worked in that area.

The closest D I C K' S in your area is either Natick (really really bad traffic in that area and a huge hassle IMO), Saugus, or the one I go to in Nashua right next to the Pheasant Lane Mall. In fact Natick probably wouldn't be worth the hassle, but the one near Pheasant Lane is really easy to get to. You just take Rt 3 to the Tyngsboro Exit (last exit in MA) and it drops you right at the Mall and it is right there.