Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sorry, but really poor taste!

Fashion Designer

Thumbs down Sorry, but really poor taste!

TL, I cannot believe that youre encouraging pet shops!
    Do you know how many animals are bred in awful conditions to be sold in a cage? And only to be put down when they're not sold?
    Do you know how many lovely animals are dying every day in shelters?
    Really disappointed in this app and also the zoo app.
    Shame on you!

Farm Supplier
    I agree, Pet shops and Zoos are not politically correct these days, I'm sure there are plenty of pet shops and zoos which meet higher welfare standards these days. Hopefully the players of these games are responsible keepers of animals!

Rhino Keeper
    I wonder if you also campaign on games like Grand Theft Auto or Modern Warfare? This is just a game after all, they aren't real animals...And not every pet store does awful things.

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by klaatoo View Post
    I agree, Pet shops and Zoos are not politically correct these days, I'm sure there are plenty of pet shops and zoos which meet higher welfare standards these days. Hopefully the players of these games are responsible keepers of animals!
    Do not lump major zoos or even many mid-sized zoos into your "not politically correct" assessment. Zoos are actually big science labs where zoologists study animals, treat animal illnesses, and work to keep the population of endangered animals up. That is the primary function of zoos. Zoos just happen to get a large amount of their operational money by opening their doors to the general public so that other people can see the animals. The part of the zoo that you see is the just what they do so that they can get the REAL work done.

Nightclub Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by Superyalda View Post
    TL, I cannot believe that youre encouraging pet shops!
    Do you know how many animals are bred in awful conditions to be sold in a cage? And only to be put down when they're not sold?
    Do you know how many lovely animals are dying every day in shelters?
    Really disappointed in this app and also the zoo app.
    Shame on you!
    This is why I don't play these two games. I know they are only games and I'm sure none of the players here would ever be cruel to an animal, but just on principle I wouldn't play them. I don't even go to zoos in real life or purchase animals from pet shops.

Executive Chef
    I admit, I was hesitant about pet shop story for these reasons. That said, the pet shops where I live sell food and supplies and also partner with various rescues and shelters for adoptions. That's something I encourage wholeheartedly. So I named my shop "Drift Rescue" and I like to think of my pets as being adopted, not sold.

Zoos are an entirely different story. MiniLaura explained this beautifully.

Nightclub Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniLaura View Post
    Do not lump major zoos or even many mid-sized zoos into your "not politically correct" assessment. Zoos are actually big science labs where zoologists study animals, treat animal illnesses, and work to keep the population of endangered animals up. That is the primary function of zoos. Zoos just happen to get a large amount of their operational money by opening their doors to the general public so that other people can see the animals. The part of the zoo that you see is the just what they do so that they can get the REAL work done.
    I suspect my reason is that I just don't like to see animals caged or limited. I am grateful that zoos do this work of protection of animals, though.

Rhino Keeper
    Now that you mention it...there are bakeries that sell old sometimes moldy product as new, there are flashy clothing stores that profit from child labor in less fortunate areas, there are farms that mistreat animals and spread the harmful pesticides on thick, there are restaurants that have secrets that would make you sick (Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares!), there are nightclubs that are dens of illegal drugs and/or illegal activities....how many threads do you want to pull on that sweater before it all unravels and we're all a huddled mass of scaredy cats?

Instead of adding real world context to them maybe take them for what they are....games. TL is hardly the first company to have pet/animal/zoo themed games. They won't be the last. People use the games to escape the horrors of the real world.

For the record my Bakery Story bakery only sells fresh products, my Farm Story farm is 100% organic/free range, and my Nightclub has a security team that keeps me and my patrons safe. That's the beauty of games...you can make them be what you want them to be.

Grand Emperor
    Quote Originally Posted by Montegoe View Post
    Now that you mention it...there are bakeries that sell old sometimes moldy product as new, there are flashy clothing stores that profit from child labor in less fortunate areas, there are farms that mistreat animals and spread the harmful pesticides on thick, there are restaurants that have secrets that would make you sick (Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares!), there are nightclubs that are dens of illegal drugs and/or illegal activities....how many threads do you want to pull on that sweater before it all unravels and we're all a huddled mass of scaredy cats?

Instead of adding real world context to them maybe take them for what they are....games. TL is hardly the first company to have pet/animal/zoo themed games. They won't be the last. People use the games to escape the horrors of the real world.

For the record my Bakery Story bakery only sells fresh products, my Farm Story farm is 100% organic/free range, and my Nightclub has a security team that keeps me and my patrons safe. That's the beauty of games...you can make them be what you want them to be.
    Here here. And you forgot the stick thin models in fashion.

Grand Emperor
    ps Im an animal rescue activist so don't start.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast