Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daikon

Rhino Keeper
    Daikon is its Japanese name.

Executive Chef
    Daikon rice cakes are the yummiest. So we have daikon now? Cool.

Grand Emperor
    Quote Originally Posted by nmishii View Post
    Its a white radish.
    Oh duh, I googled 2 veggies from the survey that day. The other one must be the one like squash. Or maybe nothing is like squash and my brain made that up.

Rhino Keeper
    Looks like a turnip to me. A real one. Has anyone ever eaten a daikon? My predictive text doesn't even know what one is!

Rhino Keeper
    Oops, I just saw the above posts! Didn't know this thread had more than the first page!

Rhino Keeper
    Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/craftedbypika
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daikon

But quick answers:

-It originated from continental Asia, though commonly known by its Japanese name. At the Chinese supermarket my mother shop at, there's a Japanese version too. It's a bit purple and rounder.
    -Eaten raw it's like eating a plain, crunchy, spicy (it's got a slight kick to it, like eating Japanese wasabi or regular raw radishes, but not spicy in the way salsa is) apple. My mother usually cooks it in bone soup (basically taking pork bones and cooking over low heat for a long time to form broth) until it's soft and transparent. Then it takes like eating a mushy apple... The downside, it's a bit stinky once cooked... o.O.
    -Wikipedia also says it's a low calorie, but high vitamin C food. .

It's a long, fat white radish. They're used in all sorts of stuff. Here in Japan they're about as fat as baseball bats. We make kimchee, soup and pickles out of them. I don't enjoy them cooked. The leaves are very long, feathery and lacy- a bit different from the FS design. I personally toss sliced daikon in my salads. They're a tad more peppery than the red salad radish found in the west. Hope that helps! :-)

Grand Emperor
    Quote Originally Posted by naturebaby222 View Post
    It's a long, fat white radish. They're used in all sorts of stuff. Here in Japan they're about as fat as baseball bats. We make kimchee, soup and pickles out of them. I don't enjoy them cooked. The leaves are very long, feathery and lacy- a bit different from the FS design. I personally toss sliced daikon in my salads. They're a tad more peppery than the red salad radish found in the west. Hope that helps! :-)
    Very interesting thank you.

I looked for some at my grocery store but they didn't have it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12