Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 5.9 Earthquake

Banned
    You can keep abreast of the current status at USGS. They are really Efficient in Updating. your able to watch the rise and fall of tremors.
    NOAA if your on the coastline will compliment USGS readings to watch for tide surges.
    Aloha and Safety To You Sterling And Any Others Who Are Effected By This.

Grand Emperor
    Wow! (Rushes out to Google stuff about it)

Banned
    Earthquake Details

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
    Magnitude
    Date-Time
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 17:51:04 UTC
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 01:51:04 PM at epicenter
    Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
    Depth
    6 km (3.7 miles)
    Region
    VIRGINIA
    Distances
    8 km (5 miles) SSW (195?) from Mineral, VA
    11 km (7 miles) SSE (148?) from Louisa, VA
    29 km (18 miles) NE (45?) from Columbia, VA
    61 km (38 miles) NW (317?) from Richmond, VA
    135 km (84 miles) SW (217?) from Washington, DC
    Location Uncertainty
    horizontal +/- 2.3 km (1.4 miles); depth +/- 3.1 km (1.9 miles)
    Parameters
    NST= 22, Nph= 23, Dmin=50 km, Rmss=0.44 sec, Gp= 79?,
    M-type=centroid moment magnitude (Mw), Version=B
    Source
    Southeast U.S. Seismic Network
    Event ID
    se082311a
    Did you feel it? Report shaking and damage at your location. You can also view a map displaying accumulated data from your report and others.

Rhino Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by GroupMagma View Post
    Same. I sleep through most earthquakes. But I hope you earthquake rookies are doing alright.
    I slept through my first....25 years ago. Not so much during the day....definitely a rookie and want to stay one!!!

FYI Washington monument is fine, according to the national park service spokesman.

That is good. It would be horrible if something happened to it!!

Banned
    Earthquake Summary

Tectonic Summary

EARTHQUAKES IN THE CENTRAL VIRGINIA SEISMIC ZONE
    Since at least 1774, people in central Virginia have felt small earthquakes and suffered damage from infrequent larger ones. The largest damaging earthquake (magnitude 4.8) in the seismic zone occurred in 1875. Smaller earthquakes that cause little or no damage are felt each year or two.

Earthquakes in the central and eastern U.S., although less frequent than in the western U.S., are typically felt over a much broader region. East of the Rockies, an earthquake can be felt over an area as much as ten times larger than a similar magnitude earthquake on the west coast. A magnitude 4.0 eastern U.S. earthquake typically can be felt at many places as far as 100 km (60 mi) from where it occurred, and it infrequently causes damage near its source. A magnitude 5.5 eastern U.S. earthquake usually can be felt as far as 500 km (300 mi) from where it occurred, and sometimes causes damage as far away as 40 km (25 mi).

FAULTS
    Earthquakes everywhere occur on faults within bedrock, usually miles deep. Most bedrock beneath central Virginia was assembled as continents collided to form a supercontinent about 500-300 million years ago, raising the Appalachian Mountains. Most of the rest of the bedrock formed when the supercontinent rifted apart about 200 million years ago to form what are now the northeastern U.S., the Atlantic Ocean, and Europe.

At well-studied plate boundaries like the San Andreas fault system in California, often scientists can determine the name of the specific fault that is responsible for an earthquake. In contrast, east of the Rocky Mountains this is rarely the case. The Central Virginia seismic zone is far from the nearest plate boundaries, which are in the center of the Atlantic Ocean and in the Caribbean Sea. The seismic zone is laced with known faults but numerous smaller or deeply buried faults remain undetected. Even the known faults are poorly located at earthquake depths. Accordingly, few, if any, earthquakes in the seismic zone can be linked to named faults. It is difficult to determine if a known fault is still active and could slip and cause an earthquake. As in most other areas east of the Rockies, the best guide to earthquake hazards in the seismic zone is the earthquakes themselves.

Earthquake Information for Virginia

Rhino Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by bawpotter View Post
    Was it scary? I have never been in an earthquake before.
    For me? Cuz started I didn't know what it was at first, mind jumping, was way too close to pentagon on 9-11, so mind jumps to explosions.....and quickly realized earthquake but it was getting stronger. Didn't know what to do....got family out of house...still shaking...seemed to go on forever. We stood outside on concrete and could still feel ground moving. But I was very close to center.

HATE not knowing how to react....medic in me. Probably did the wrong thing moving family outside instead of doorways? I hate not being prepared and not knowing best response. Didn't think I needed to know,

Hubby thinks "cool" cuz now he's been through many tornados, a hurricane and now earthquake. Needs to go visit HawaiianMomma and see volcano next!

Executive Chef
    A bitter and lonely state of cruelty and injustice

Fashion Designer
    A state of utter confusion and total denial
    outside is good. if you can get out quick. Doorways if not. During grade school I remember having earthquake drills where we all had to get under our desks.
    Correct answers - $3
    Thoughtful answers -
    $2
    Wrong answers -
    $1
    Dumb looks - still free

I am NOT accepting new neighbors, thanks for understanding!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by di1975 View Post
    For me? Cuz started I didn't know what it was at first, mind jumping, was way too close to pentagon on 9-11, so mind jumps to explosions.....and quickly realized earthquake but it was getting stronger. Didn't know what to do....got family out of house...still shaking...seemed to go on forever. We stood outside on concrete and could still feel ground moving. But I was very close to center.

HATE not knowing how to react....medic in me. Probably did the wrong thing moving family outside instead of doorways? I hate not being prepared and not knowing best response. Didn't think I needed to know,

Hubby thinks "cool" cuz now he's been through many tornados, a hurricane and now earthquake. Needs to go visit HawaiianMomma and see volcano next!
    Safety response for us in the islands is to find open clearing, our land mass is smaller, this method is easier to navigate where to run on foot.

*safety note don't collect the rocks on the beaches while visiting, we do a lot of scattering ashes in the oceans after funerals that rock might be a bone.*don't collect rocks at volcano, mainlanders call it "bad juju", For Us We Call It Pele's Property, We know better to touch what belongs to her.

*ocean currents are strong here, swim in populated areas where you see many locals and not just other tourists,
    Kauai has a lot of drownings. Be Safe and Have Hawaiian fun when you reach here.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast