Thread: Falling Out of Love

Unhappy Falling Out of Love

Something very strange happened to me while playing DS recently. I woke up one day and it was a real struggle just playing this game. Every tap just seemed like I was fighting myself, struggling against the weight of my other worldly commitments. I felt like I was outside my body, looking at myself possessed by the spirit of a robot. I was routinely doing the hundred of actions I would normally do on DS on a daily basis for years, not knowing why. I looked to the black friday sales, the current event goals, the new tournament and the monthly reward dragon... and my mind's eye couldn't focus on anything. I gazed right through the meaningless type combinations, dragon names and recolours. I stared at the message I etched out in leaderboard trophies, and couldn't see how I could want to improve on it. I didn't have a good home for the last gold trophy I won, and there's only one meaningful spot for a crystal trophy, which I have already won. I value silver trophies the most because it takes careful planning and reading of your group to slide into the gap between 1st and 3rd in a frantic finish, but more silvers will simply obscure the clarity of the letters in my message.

I thought about the millions of food I had stockpiled... the bombs and dynamite unmined, the more than 600 dragon eggs in my storage, tens of thousands of essence, and 1000 adventure tickets... and it felt like nothing to me. It was like the infatuation in me had just died, decayed instantly and left a void with no trace of any motivation left behind. I must have watched Fruitful bounce along chasing that apple for a cumulative period of months of my life, and yet looking at the tiny kingdom in my hands all that effort felt fruitless.

I don't know if I'm going to quit this game. My love hates this game, but I don't want to grandly profess my new resolution, lest I disappoint them later. I quit once before, only to return with a vengeance just in time to get hooked on leaderboards when they were first introduced. I don't know how I will feel about this game in the future but at the moment, I'm logging in to just collect and send gold to my loyal neighbors. From that last time I stepped away, I know it's only a matter of time before I lose sense of any value in tens of thousands of gold, if there's nothing meaningful to spend it on. However this time it feels different. I thought about all my past neighbors that left and never came back... and wondered, "is this how they felt in their final moments as a dragon caretaker?"
    Bye Attachment 67493
    Dble12win & 24win streak! -No$Spent!
    DragonS LB trophies (1crystl,51gld,27s,4b) Attachment 67493
    FantasyS LB trophies! (45gld,7s,4b) Attachment 54914

Crystl Trophy Shoplist:
    350m coins,23m food,18 10x boost,13k gld

2314Gld+BoostBreedWkend+DmdTmpl=
    Valint,Achlls,Helios,CrwnJwl,Quasr,Dmd-PrsmX3,Angl,Gld,Mercry&Crusadr
    My Rainbow Attachment 36684

My FashionS boutiques!
    -Beach Esplanade Attachment 35793 @JustKay
    -Fashion First gym Attachment 35795
    -Made in Meiji-era okiya Attachment 35794 @KayJust

BlossomPicnicAttachment 35799
    Monster!Attachment 36956

Rhino Keeper
    If it wasn?t for the fact that I still have things to do I wouldn?t play anymore. I can?t imagine what it will be like when I run out of room

Rhino Keeper
    I was so surprised to see this post was written by you, JustKay. You?ve always been a faithful player, although I?ve noticed that you rarely visit the forum anymore. I believe you gave up on Forest Story a long time ago.

To be honest, it seems that the mods (kookypanda left almost 2 years ago, and I?m not sure if we?ve had a dedicated mod for this forum since), community guides or whatever they?re called, and even the support team have lost interest in the game, too. If the people who are being paid to keep this game alive can?t be bothered with it, how do they expect the players to maintain enthusiasm?

I will say that I?ve really been enjoying the artwork of all the recent dragons and most of the habitats. I wish Flatfoot would stop by and say hello!

Rhino Keeper
    I've been playing since the early DS game on Android. I lurked here reading tips for well over a year before ever posting. I've never seen this many old time players expressing frustration. I played very casually for years, but got serious a couple of years ago. Now going back to casual. Too many frustrations for heavy dedication, so can empathize!

Admin Community Manager [S8] Elsa's Avatar
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts, JustKay! I think it's reasonable for anyone to become disenchanted with their favorite things sometimes. It's okay to take a break. A cool thing about games is you can pick them up again later if you want, you don't have to force yourself into the struggle of absolutes. Caretakers need self-care too. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Frostyforest34 View Post
    I was so surprised to see this post was written by you, JustKay. You?ve always been a faithful player, although I?ve noticed that you rarely visit the forum anymore. I believe you gave up on Forest Story a long time ago.

To be honest, it seems that the mods (kookypanda left almost 2 years ago, and I?m not sure if we?ve had a dedicated mod for this forum since), community guides or whatever they?re called, and even the support team have lost interest in the game, too. If the people who are being paid to keep this game alive can?t be bothered with it, how do they expect the players to maintain enthusiasm?

I will say that I?ve really been enjoying the artwork of all the recent dragons and most of the habitats. I wish Flatfoot would stop by and say hello!
    Our moderators are volunteers and normal players who generously give their time to the community. Please note that while players may have expectations of moderators, real life will always be the number one priority. We're grateful for their time.

Flatfoot has been hard at work along with all of our staff and teams. They're always busy, but the holiday season between November and the end of January is always an extra busy time. Thank you for understanding!