Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: GOAL: Brick Toss 2020 February 27 (15 Days)

Moderator (volunteer) pixiegamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kappy333 View Post
    Well, unfortunately I cannot finish - as the gems weren't on sale for me today. I think I should just stop caring about goals or goal prizes, because I seem to never be able to finish them or be able to get them in time. They're too hard for me to complete anymore

So much for the pizzeria I wanted. It's a goodbye now

I wouldn't say that about the pizzeria, necessarily. I think you posted previously that you had the goal prizes from a previous pizza goal (the woodburning oven one) - between that, the recipes/intermediary prizes from this goal, and even a few market items, there's no reason you shouldn't attempt a pizzeria design. I think it would turn out great
    ~ Forum Moderator for Bakery Story and Restaurant Story ~

Bakery Story Quick Links: Game Guide | Master Box Guide | Bugs & Issues | Help Me I Have a Question
    Restaurant Story Quick Links: Game Guide | Master Box Guide | Bugs & Issues | Goal Prize Re-Locking Bug | Help Me I Have a Question
    Need Me? Send me a PM
    Having an issue with your game? Contact Storm8 Support
    Forum Rules: Check Here!
    ~ Gentle Reminder: Mods are players, just like you! I am not a Storm8 Employee ~

Moderator (volunteer) pixiegamer's Avatar

Thoughts on This Goal

This comes as the goals are ending, but nevertheless: I think this goal would've been better released as not a goal at all, and if the items had been released separately.

Specific points:

• I think the biggest negative is probably the flooring - it's quite literally a rotated duplicate of an existing floor tile, and one of the most basic designs at that.
    • The table and chair, while not duplicates, seem really uninspired. Effectively, they're a basic black chair and a table with a checkered cloth - both things we already have in the game, and neither of the new additions, in my opinion, set themselves apart enough to be considered particularly noteworthy compared to what we already have.
    • To that point, none of the above items particularly seemed specifically matched to a Pizza theme. I'll admit there's a slight bias here, since we got a very lovely Pizza Mosaic table and chair set with a previous pizza goal that really raised the bar for designs that tied into a goal, but the above items are really just... neutral. I don't think that's a bad thing in and of itself, but for a pizza goal specifically, I think other designs would have worked better, especially when these really do seem like they could've been released with any generic food-related goal - or, perhaps, not even at all, and it wouldn't have made a difference.
    • The wall decoration barely escapes this criticism only because it does somewhat briefly tie into the theme (the Italy cutout at least matches the flag on the counter), but again, it feels lackluster. I think I would've much preferred something, once again, pizza-related - a pizza menu, or a chart of toppings, or even a pizzeria door with a pizza slice design on it, but this one just fell short
    • I really do like the design of the Big Brick Wall - I think it's quite modern and adds a fresh, hipster vibe to RS pizzerias - but again, I'm disappointed by the lack of creativity. This marks the fourth (4th!) brick wall design we've gotten in the game, and it's worth pointing out that three of them, including this one, have all been released with pizza-related goals. Is that really the best the team can do? Another brick wall for another pizza goal?
      • I would've much preferred this if the pizza design on the wall had been released as a decal in wall decorations. It really is a fantastic piece of art, and I love the transparency/faded look of it against the brick wall, but it can become jarring to have multiple frames of this next to each other, especially for a long stretch of wall.
      • What's more, the color scheme matches one of the other brick walls we have on the market, but not the pattern of the bricks on the wall. It would've been nice to be able to lay them side by side and have a seamless wall.
    • I think the counter is one of the best pieces to be released for Restaurant Story in recent months. I love how the color of the bricks and the countertop have been muted to give it a slightly more aged look, and the Italian flag tacked to the front is a really neat touch
    • I also really liked the designs of the appliances, and particularly how well they went together. The one criticism here is I wish the devs would be more conscious of what kind of appliance they choose to put the recipes on: pizzas on an oven are an obvious match, but a calzone, sub, and salad being prepared on a stove? I really do wish they'd consider these details.
    • Finally, the prizes: having done the two previous pizza goals in Restaurant Story, I do think it's refreshing to see different prizes on offer, but it does come down to details again:
      • The Pizza Line is nice, and I've seen multiple neighbors utilize the wall of it to mark separate sections in their restaurant. I like the expressions of the two customers included in the artwork, and it looks like it's a piece that really could be used in an indoor or outdoor setting (with some creativity), but there are still a couple of demerits. First: the brick pattern matches that of the counter in this goal, but not of the wallpaper we received (or any of the brick wallpapers in the game). Second: the streetlamp feels completely unnecessary, and it feels odd to have included in a decoration that only features two people. If we want to make a bigger line by 'stacking' two of these decorations, it looks awkward to have a streetlamp per every two people in line, and there's no matching 1x1 streetlamp decoration on the market one could place to flesh out the design if one wanted. Neither of these features are inherently bad, but it makes it harder to have a cohesive design with other items - and that's another thing I wish the devs took into consideration
      • Regarding the Tremendous Toss: it ties in with the pizza theme, and I do like the collection of people around the chef who's tossing the dough. I think it would actually place really well in a cooking school-type design, with students clamored around the professor who's making a demonstration and it helps that there are additional cooking school-style decorations on the market to help round out this theme.
      • Regarding the Pizza Party - I think it's a great piece and I love the idea of a family gathered around a table eating pizza The only nitpick is with the size of the pizza on the table - it seems quite oversized, and this is made obvious comparing the size of the pizza slices the kids are holding to the size of the gigantic pizza in the middle. I think it would've looked much better if it were proportional to the table, and I wonder if this was an oversight by the art team.

Additionally, it would've been great if the table/chair combo we had gotten matched the table and chairs in this display - again, so we could have a great, cohesive design in our restaurant once the goal was through. It's a shame that was a missed opportunity

Overall... I think the items would've benefited from being split into multiple updates, rather than being all combined into a 15-day goal:
    • The three pizza recipes on the first appliance were solid, but the second appliance and recipes weren't as put together/make as much sense. I think instead of a 15-day goal, these could've been added to a pizza appliance from one of the previous pizza goals, and that could've been re-released for a really fantastic 5-day goal, with one of the previous goal prizes also being re-released as a prize for this goal. It's a theme that's been executed successfully before; the goals were wildly popular and one of the most sought-after to be re-released; and you have a set of recipes that actually fit the appliance they could be put onto (as compared to fish and shrimp on a drink machine ).
    • Take the three goal prizes and the wall decal from the wallpaper, add a few more pizza-related floor decor items, and release these items in a box. This gives us a box with a really solid restaurant-related theme, and some awesome prizes to look forward to winning (and, as a potential bonus, more box prizes to choose from for future side goal prizes).

So... yeah. It's a bit of a 50/50 split for me with the items I liked and the items I didn't, and while I liked the ideas for some of the items, I wish their execution were handled better
    ~ Forum Moderator for Bakery Story and Restaurant Story ~

Bakery Story Quick Links: Game Guide | Master Box Guide | Bugs & Issues | Help Me I Have a Question
    Restaurant Story Quick Links: Game Guide | Master Box Guide | Bugs & Issues | Goal Prize Re-Locking Bug | Help Me I Have a Question
    Need Me? Send me a PM
    Having an issue with your game? Contact Storm8 Support
    Forum Rules: Check Here!
    ~ Gentle Reminder: Mods are players, just like you! I am not a Storm8 Employee ~

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by pixiegamer View Post

I wouldn't say that about the pizzeria, necessarily. I think you posted previously that you had the goal prizes from a previous pizza goal (the woodburning oven one) - between that, the recipes/intermediary prizes from this goal, and even a few market items, there's no reason you shouldn't attempt a pizzeria design. I think it would turn out great

I unfortunately wish I had as much positivity as you do.

Luckily though, I don't have to worry about the over 60 moneys I would've needed to create the pizzeria place. So in a way, maybe it wasn't entirely a loss for me in the end? I think I should at least be happy about that (I know my wife will be, at least!) - if nothing else!

Though if I were to be a bit more positive, I think that would go further and a longer way - and make me have a better outlook on most things!
    67/67 Regular Flytraps
    2/2 Flytrap Variants
    1+ Extra Flytrap

70 Flytraps Combined

Last updated 17/3/24

(Only Actively Playing Farm Story 2)

Very well thought out and worded, Pixie.
    May I add that the goal tables, when placed together, overlapped and formed an ugly blob. I replaced them with the older -and almost identical- tables from my storage and got a much better look.
    Too much duplication, plus the need to add neighbors to expand one's restaurant, plus the interminable scrolling to place items...
    ...results in simply being unwilling to do goals.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456