Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Game more unstable than ever before (Crash CrAsH CRASH)

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpixel View Post
    @ Elsa,

Ok, point taken. I will send the videos to you. What format would you prefer to have them in? mp4, wmv, mov, m4p, mpg, or avi?

Also, should I upload them to YouTube and send the links to you or put them in a filesharing site as individual files for download?

Oh! And by the way, regarding this:

I remember mentioning in a post I made about a year ago that you guys are unlikely to experience such issues running the game in-house.
    S8, when can deadpixel expect a job offer, probably as a consultant ? 🤔😉😂

Executive Chef
    Quote Originally Posted by Rfs04 View Post

I find it interesting that Elsa wants details on what we are doing when game crashes because I haven't seen any pattern, it goes any time with any activity...and many times, my tablet is just sitting on chair arm and it kicksout!!! Explain that!
    My experience is also that it happens during any type of task, from collecting food to starting a new breeding to battling and mining. There is no rhyme or reason, so I don't believe there is a pattern to be discovered.

Quote Originally Posted by Rfs04 View Post
    That memory I believe is what's used for storage. I think the memory referred to is RAM, memory to run programs...my Android tablet runs Oreo and has 2gig memory but many tablets have 1 gig or 1.5gig and those devices have barely enough to handle the game. Even with 2 gig I'm kicked out and this afternoon was bad 3,4 times in 1 hour.

I find it interesting that Elsa wants details on what we are doing when game crashes because I haven't seen any pattern, it goes any time with any activity...and many times, my tablet is just sitting on chair arm and it kicksout!!! Explain that!

I feel it's a question of running out of memory, pure and simple and S8 should find ways to minimize their use of memory, possibly release memory after tasks and perhaps figure how to delete graphics from visiting community players for bingo. I delete data in the game when it grows over 2.2 gig because game problems seem to increase after game grows that big. But visit a few neighbors and poof, game boats and I need clear data again and wait for everything to reload.

I notice too that game response is real slow, I try to refresh bingo goals and it's wait for the start time to appear, then wait for processing processing to finish...nothing is instantaneous and what it's being asked to do is minor.. My husband uses iOS and says it's not as bad on iPad. So is Android yet again a second class citizen?
    It's due to a memory leak. A situation where the memory allocated for certain routines (background or foreground) are not released after the end of the routines. Then, when the routine runs again, more memory is used and again not released; and so the cycle repeats until the system crashes. This is very difficult to debug but my gut feeling tells me it is related to one of the "memory saving" features that were implemented, namely the one that switched the animation of the dragons on and off during the scrolling of the screen.

I'm not sure why the developers wish to view videos of these random crashes either, because, as you have noted, they don't follow any pattern. The only thing they'd be able to come back with is the "We are unable to replicate this issue" reply, though I hope they do more  But since videos were requested, I will upload them for their viewing. In fact, I've just completed converting and uploading them to my cloud and can now send them over to Elsa

Later in the day, I'll try to put up step-by-step instructions on how to capture screen recordings of our DS play on iOS devices. I not sure I can do one for Android devices because they don't all have the built-in screen recording feature and many would have to rely on third-party apps.

Banned
    Deadpixel...

I wonder if they have any memory release in the game at all!! I say this because I can see my game struggle the longer I play in a session. If I mine, I use 3,4 bombs then exit mine and tap social, community to get S8 to load to save the apples I found. I'll go back and do that maybe 2 times and will be ok but if I try 1 more the too far, near, close start to pop up very slow and sometimes are invisible.

If I collect coins from all 230 habitats I then see the game struggle to do the next tasks and think, it's gonna blow soon.

Keyboard is fun and frustrating too. I can visit and write notes to maybe 3 neighbors and I know next visit the keyboard will be iffy. I tap box to start a to write ...if no keyboard I wait about 15 secs...it may show up! If it does, maybe it will stay but often it pops in to just say hi and it's gone! Other times it types herky jerky and leaves in the middle but if I tap it might just come back and let me type last 2 words.
    Best one is I'm typing, finally then poof, game is gone....but I still have my keyboard!!! Sitting by its lonesome on the desktop. Oh such fun.

Seems the game just eats and eats memory and never let's go til it reaches its limit and with no place to go, you're gone. I hope Elsa reads some of this and gets an idea of what is going on. I find it unbelievable that S8 does not encounter any of this.

Admin Community Manager [S8] Elsa's Avatar
    Thanks @deadpixel, I have a place to start now.

Quote Originally Posted by [S8] Elsa View Post
    Thanks @deadpixel, I have a place to start now.
    Thank you Elsa, really appreciate your taking the lead on this.

Wooooooweee. My topic took off like crazy and I’m not really surprised so many has posted and tried to enlighten staff that there IS a problem with the game’s instability.

Although it’s kinda sad that we have to prove that it crashes at random every day, if all my neighbors on Android were able to “record videos of crashes” ...S8 would be absolutely flooded with them. I’m not sure how to record my screen but I will look into it so I can add some further back up since S8 seems to wants to not believe us and brush it off like nothing. I find it kinda hard to believe that all S8 staff plays the game and doesn’t experience a Single crash ever...what kinda phones are they playing on? Or are they playing on tablets(which I’m assuming might be better suited to handling da crashes than anything else given that they have larger memory and what not.)

@Deadpixel: Thank you ever so much, you’re my hero!!! I am so glad you were able to talk some sense into them and convince them that us all really and truly are in fact having a problem with constant crashes because as you would have seen from the very start of the topic it was otherwise simply going to be brushed off as “my problem/my fault” and absolutely nothing would have ever been done about it and it would have gone on forever like this until it got so bad that none of us could really play I anymore. In fact my friend on android pretty much gave up on the game because it was crashing so badly. So thank you very much for helping to shed some light on this from a more technical standpoint it is greatly appreciated. And thank you to everyone else for contributing your experiences and information so that this is FINALLY going to be looked at because it NEVER used to be THIS bad!!!
    8+ years friendly DS player. I'm ⒶⓁⓌⒶⓎⓈ accepting active new neighbors, event item requests and maps. I also always reply to messages, message away or write on my wall to chat! Ⓜⓐⓡⓑⓛⓔ ⓚⓔⓨⓢ time requirements are the ⓦⓞⓡⓢⓣ!⃝

~✿❀✿~❃❁❃~✿❀✿~

New Resident
    Has anyone playing dragon starry and experiencing the crashing problem had their problem fixed now that storm8 is aware of the problem? I’m having the same problem over in bakery story and mentioned it in a thread but received no response and also sent a ticket and they closed it due to no support for that game. I’m guessing it is all caused by the same problem and hoping both games have the same fix.

Banned
    The reality is that many mobile game players are virtual beta testers these days. The priority is getting the next money making content out the door and deal with any bugs later.

If you want to fix this issue, target a few of the players reporting problems. I'm a software developer. While I'm not a mobile platform developer, it should be trivial to have some simple global error handling send back trace info to your DB if you honestly don't ever see this issue in testing (which is hard to believe if the islands being tested are maxed out on dragons). The reason I say lock it to a few of these daily players is that I'm certain you'd be inundated with errors coming back otherwise. My game crashes constantly just like everyone else I know that plays the game. Honestly I doubt it's something you are going to easily fix without completely redesigning the island.

Rhino Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuicakes View Post
    There are 2 types of "memory".

ROM is used for long-term or "storage" memory and is listed in your IOS settings. I'm guessing you have 64GB or 128 GB. That type of memory is needed to download and store apps. (Ex. Memory used to download a notes type of app)

RAM is used for "working" memory and is NOT listed in your settings. This memory is used for temporary use ... ex. Writing a note. If you crash before "saving" then you lose that note.

I googled and found that there's 2GB of RAM in the 4.7" iPhone 8 and 3GB in the 5.5" iPhone 8 Plus. 2GB is really, really low for a high intensity graphics game. I use an iPad Pro 10.5 which has 4GB RAM.

look up how to "clear RAM" or do a hard reboot. That should help but you'll probably need to do it frequently. and remember it's the working memory needed to constantly display all those moving graphics that is causing problems. It will be worse as your island becomes bigger, visiting higher level players or constantly zooming in and out.
    I play on a iPad Pro 12.9 that has 128 GB of ROM with 25.7 GB valuable & 4 GB of RAM. Software version is 13.2.3 & I am constantly crashing also. We have the most advanced whole house Panorama WiFi. So speed is not a problem other. I Can?t do anything without constantly crashing. When we complain about it, they tell us that there must be a problem on our side. What kind of problem can there be now Somone says that if you have too many games opened at the same time & that may be the problem. Usually I have 3 or 4 other games opened at the same time. So I am going to only keep one game at a time opened & close out all games when I leave them to see if that works. I do not have any problems at all with other high capacity games. I play GOW & COK & those games never crash. The only game that crashes for me is Dragon Story.I have tried everything. Closing out the game & reloading it. Doing a hard shutdown & I even deleted the app & downloaded it again. Nothing works. That tells me that the problem is wth Dragon Story & nothing else. They need to fix this major bug.
    Last edited by 06hunter; 11-30-19 at 01:07 AM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast