Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 75

Thread: Game more unstable than ever before (Crash CrAsH CRASH)

  1. #41
    Executive Chef
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,931
    I just opened my game and battled with my Thunderstrike for Chapter 8 Act 3 - I beat a Planet dragon and got the pop up saying the task had been completed. Then my game crashed/closed. I nearly screamed in frustration. Fortunately, when I reopened the game and got the expected roll back, this time I was able to beat the same opponent again and move forward. Usually I would lose the second time when there's a crash like that.
    Island Name: Amer Island

    Nearly 1400 Unique Dragons Hatched
    Over 250 Unique Dragon Eggs in Storage

  2. #42
    What skyharbor said wasn't a "theory." Other games employ this technique and there's never a problem with crashes. This is the only game where crashes cost their players 99% of the time. Dragon Story has been around for 7 years and there's still no solution for crashes? It's a major issue that affects the majority of your players. In the past, the answers were always "check your internet connectivity." I'll admit, I'm glad the issue is finally being addressed instead of it being blamed on us. It's a step in the right direction.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpixel View Post
    Hi Elsa,

    What if we used the Storm8 Forum feature of posting in-post videos? This feature will allow us to display and view videos within the post and will not take us to any external websites, avoiding third-party upload links. It will be just like how we view screenshots.

    The suggestion to post the videos here is not to create a free-for-all to allow players to start giving ideas about fixing the game or bashing Storm8. Instead, it is to help players who do not know how to or cannot capture and submit videos to have an avenue where they may view the video of the crashes and confirm that they are facing the same issues. I see this as a win-win situation for DS players and Storm8; the players get to verify the problem, and the developers get to hear from multiple players that the issue is real, at once in a single place instead of from hundreds of support tickets.
    No, because an in-line video still requires a third-party link. Keep in mind, for a real crash we don't need a specific number of people agreeing to have the same experience to look at it. We just need to reproduce the issue.

    If you want me to pursue this, please send me or support the video. Otherwise, I can't help.

    Quote Originally Posted by besomiculoelsa View Post
    What skyharbor said wasn't a "theory." Other games employ this technique and there's never a problem with crashes. This is the only game where crashes cost their players 99% of the time. Dragon Story has been around for 7 years and there's still no solution for crashes? It's a major issue that affects the majority of your players. In the past, the answers were always "check your internet connectivity." I'll admit, I'm glad the issue is finally being addressed instead of it being blamed on us. It's a step in the right direction.
    I can only get it looked at if I have proof of an issue to share. I haven't received any videos yet. The ones that do come forward are playing on iPhone6 or so and obviously, the game is going to out of memory error on a model that old so that doesn't help. So, I'm in a bind until I can get a new lead to go on. Everything looks fine in-house.

  4. #44
    Executive Chef
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    The name says it all
    Posts
    1,309
    It seems like we have to predict when these crashes will happen which some of us can't really do. I can say the issue I have on my Android Oreo is that my game crashes when I visit a high level neighbor, try to breed for Quetzal or Crusader a certain amount of times and sometimes while mining. The rollback issue is still a problem when it comes to battles - it freezes then resets with perfect internet connectivity. In the cases of it happening in the arena it is always during a tournament and it just so happens to happen after I beat a champion dragon only for the dragon to lose if I use it again.
    I would love to send video with that happening but, as aforementioned, I can't predict when these things happen. I know it's only so much that can be done when there's only spoken word and not video. Like beso, I do appreciate storm8 putting the effort into looking into the problem instead of blaming our internet connection like the last few years.

  5. #45
    Executive Chef
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southeast Asia
    Posts
    1,976
    Quote Originally Posted by skyharbor602 View Post
    It seems like we have to predict when these crashes will happen which some of us can't really do. I can say the issue I have on my Android Oreo is that my game crashes when I visit a high level neighbor, try to breed for Quetzal or Crusader a certain amount of times and sometimes while mining. The rollback issue is still a problem when it comes to battles - it freezes then resets with perfect internet connectivity. In the cases of it happening in the arena it is always during a tournament and it just so happens to happen after I beat a champion dragon only for the dragon to lose if I use it again.
    I would love to send video with that happening but, as aforementioned, I can't predict when these things happen. I know it's only so much that can be done when there's only spoken word and not video. Like beso, I do appreciate storm8 putting the effort into looking into the problem instead of blaming our internet connection like the last few years.
    Skyharbor, as I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, capturing the unpredictable crash is like photographing a tree being struck by lightning. You don't know when it'll occur but you can prepare for it. What we do is wait for a thunderstorm to build over an area and select several trees in the area that are likely candidates. We then set up cameras zoomed in on these trees and have them automatically take a shot every second.

    I now have four videos of these crashes happening while I was doing different things in the game. The way I go about it is to start DS, turn on the screen video recording function, then start playing DS as I normally would. If a crash happens, I stop the recording and save the video. If no crash occurs during the session of play, I simply stop the recording and delete the video. This is similar to the way you would photograph a tree being struck by lightning.

  6. #46
    Executive Chef
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Southeast Asia
    Posts
    1,976
    Quote Originally Posted by [S8] Elsa View Post
    No, because an in-line video still requires a third-party link. Keep in mind, for a real crash we don't need a specific number of people agreeing to have the same experience to look at it. We just need to reproduce the issue.

    If you want me to pursue this, please send me or support the video. Otherwise, I can't help.


    I can only get it looked at if I have proof of an issue to share. I haven't received any videos yet. The ones that do come forward are playing on iPhone6 or so and obviously, the game is going to out of memory error on a model that old so that doesn't help. So, I'm in a bind until I can get a new lead to go on. Everything looks fine in-house.
    @ Elsa,

    Ok, point taken. I will send the videos to you. What format would you prefer to have them in? mp4, wmv, mov, m4p, mpg, or avi?

    Also, should I upload them to YouTube and send the links to you or put them in a filesharing site as individual files for download?

    Oh! And by the way, regarding this:
    Quote Originally Posted by [S8] Elsa View Post
    Everything looks fine in-house.
    I remember mentioning in a post I made about a year ago that you guys are unlikely to experience such issues running the game in-house.

  7. #47
    Executive Chef
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,931
    I have to agree with the near impossibility of videoing crashes; today I opened my game and tapped on "Battle". The splash screen appeared showing me who my opponent would be, then the game crashed. From open to crash couldn't have been more than 15 seconds. This was an out of the ordinary crash for me but it has happened like this occasionally.
    Island Name: Amer Island

    Nearly 1400 Unique Dragons Hatched
    Over 250 Unique Dragon Eggs in Storage

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpixel View Post
    @ Elsa,

    Ok, point taken. I will send the videos to you. What format would you prefer to have them in? mp4, wmv, mov, m4p, mpg, or avi?

    Also, should I upload them to YouTube and send the links to you or put them in a filesharing site as individual files for download?

    Oh! And by the way, regarding this:

    I remember mentioning in a post I made about a year ago that you guys are unlikely to experience such issues running the game in-house.
    Whichever format is best and easiest for you. Same for the delivery, if you prefer to load it on a video site that's fine or if you prefer a file hosting site, that's also fine. As long as I get them and the Storm8 ID of the account you need me to look at.

    Quote Originally Posted by amerirish View Post
    I have to agree with the near impossibility of videoing crashes; today I opened my game and tapped on "Battle". The splash screen appeared showing me who my opponent would be, then the game crashed. From open to crash couldn't have been more than 15 seconds. This was an out of the ordinary crash for me but it has happened like this occasionally.
    This is out of memory from your device. I'm sorry! It's more than 5 years old. It's going to struggle. Each window is a new layer so when you tap on buttons that load a new window you have a higher likelihood of dropping to the home screen. We get the same experience with the same model. This is expected behavior.

    However, if you're running a similarly high animation game without issues, please send me a video of it. I'm really interested in helping.

  9. #49
    Executive Chef
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,931
    Quote Originally Posted by [S8] Elsa View Post
    Whichever format is best and easiest for you. Same for the delivery, if you prefer to load it on a video site that's fine or if you prefer a file hosting site, that's also fine. As long as I get them and the Storm8 ID of the account you need me to look at.



    This is out of memory from your device. I'm sorry! It's more than 5 years old. It's going to struggle. Each window is a new layer so when you tap on buttons that load a new window you have a higher likelihood of dropping to the home screen. We get the same experience with the same model. This is expected behavior.

    However, if you're running a similarly high animation game without issues, please send me a video of it. I'm really interested in helping.
    With all due respect Elsa - I DO NOT have a video of another game to show you, how many times do I have to say that?? I am trying to share my experience with the members of this forum. Furthermore, my device is using less than half of it's memory (29GB out of 64GB) AND I don't have any other app open when I'm playing DS.
    Island Name: Amer Island

    Nearly 1400 Unique Dragons Hatched
    Over 250 Unique Dragon Eggs in Storage

  10. #50
    Rhino Keeper
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by amerirish View Post
    With all due respect Elsa - I DO NOT have a video of another game to show you, how many times do I have to say that?? I am trying to share my experience with the members of this forum. Furthermore, my device is using less than half of it's memory (29GB out of 64GB) AND I don't have any other app open when I'm playing DS.
    That memory I believe is what's used for storage. I think the memory referred to is RAM, memory to run programs...my Android tablet runs Oreo and has 2gig memory but many tablets have 1 gig or 1.5gig and those devices have barely enough to handle the game. Even with 2 gig I'm kicked out and this afternoon was bad 3,4 times in 1 hour.

    I find it interesting that Elsa wants details on what we are doing when game crashes because I haven't seen any pattern, it goes any time with any activity...and many times, my tablet is just sitting on chair arm and it kicksout!!! Explain that!

    I feel it's a question of running out of memory, pure and simple and S8 should find ways to minimize their use of memory, possibly release memory after tasks and perhaps figure how to delete graphics from visiting community players for bingo. I delete data in the game when it grows over 2.2 gig because game problems seem to increase after game grows that big. But visit a few neighbors and poof, game boats and I need clear data again and wait for everything to reload.

    I notice too that game response is real slow, I try to refresh bingo goals and it's wait for the start time to appear, then wait for processing processing to finish...nothing is instantaneous and what it's being asked to do is minor.. My husband uses iOS and says it's not as bad on iPad. So is Android yet again a second class citizen?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •