Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Game more unstable than ever before (Crash CrAsH CRASH)

Game more unstable than ever before (Crash CrAsH CRASH)

Hello everyone, including staff and especially staff. I have been wanting to comment on this awhile now, that the game has been crashing worse than it ever has before. My friends and I are crashing constantly. Whatever maintenance you guys did the other day made the game WORSE! Several hours after the downtime was finished I went to play the game and it froze so bad I could not even reset my iPhone and took me 5 mins to try and reset it, it was so screwed up with the game frozen on my screen. The exact same thing happened to my friend and he is on android. Only he could not get into the game anymore AT ALL! It would crash and freeze for him every single time. He was able to get back in because I had to tell him to do a full reinstall and he is able to play again now in but Is still crashing like crazy, worse than ever before.

I visit a neighbor, CRASH! Collect food, CRASH! Fight in the battle arena, CRASH! Hatch or evolve a dragon, CRASH! Try to message a neighbor, CRASH! Get an ad, you guessed it, CRASH! Simply do nothing and sit on my island looking at my dragons for awhile, CRASH!!!!!!

These crashes happen every single day and at any time and before you say: You need the latest Game version and softwares etc. We do have it! All up to date! I have a brand new iPhone 8 with tons of space there is no problem on my end! I crash anywhere from 3 -8 times a day. Have never gone a single day without crashing. If I am speed breeding dragons I crash every 5 dragons or so. It is nuts!

Why is the game so terribly unstable? Every single neighbor I go to, everyone is complaining about the constant crashes. So I know it is not Just me. :/

I know you guys are getting MORE than enough support financially to fix this game, from just me alone you got nearly $2 grand this year and tons of people I know spend tons of money on this game too so I know needing money to fix the game is not the issue... So how come the game is so unstable? My friend on android is even thinking of quitting until he can afford to get an iPhone because with how unstable it is on android for him, it is almost unplayable.

We all would greatly appreciate it if you guys could fix it so we could enjoy the game. Truly and sincerely. I love this game, but it is SO frustrating to play when it is so crazily unstable
    Last edited by AraRaider; 11-06-19 at 12:01 AM.
    8+ years friendly DS player. I'm ⒶⓁⓌⒶⓎⓈ accepting active new neighbors, event item requests and maps. I also always reply to messages, message away or write on my wall to chat! Ⓜⓐⓡⓑⓛⓔ ⓚⓔⓨⓢ time requirements are the ⓦⓞⓡⓢⓣ!⃝

~✿❀✿~❃❁❃~✿❀✿~

Fashion Designer
    There are 2 types of "memory".

ROM is used for long-term or "storage" memory and is listed in your IOS settings. I'm guessing you have 64GB or 128 GB. That type of memory is needed to download and store apps. (Ex. Memory used to download a notes type of app)

RAM is used for "working" memory and is NOT listed in your settings. This memory is used for temporary use ... ex. Writing a note. If you crash before "saving" then you lose that note.

I googled and found that there's 2GB of RAM in the 4.7" iPhone 8 and 3GB in the 5.5" iPhone 8 Plus. 2GB is really, really low for a high intensity graphics game. I use an iPad Pro 10.5 which has 4GB RAM.

look up how to "clear RAM" or do a hard reboot. That should help but you'll probably need to do it frequently. and remember it's the working memory needed to constantly display all those moving graphics that is causing problems. It will be worse as your island becomes bigger, visiting higher level players or constantly zooming in and out.
    ~~~~~~
    Dragon Story, Castle Story: ​Nuicakes
    Playing on an iPad Pro 11" with 4 GB RAM, 512 GB storage, A10X Fusion cpu and using 5 GHz wifi.

Admin Community Manager [S8] Elsa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuicakes View Post

ROM is used for long-term or "storage" memory and is listed in your IOS settings. I'm guessing you have 64GB or 128 GB. That type of memory is needed to download and store apps. (Ex. Memory used to download a notes type of app)

RAM is used for "working" memory and is NOT listed in your settings. This memory is used for temporary use ... ex. Writing a note. If you crash before "saving" then you lose that note.

I googled and found that there's 2GB of RAM in the 4.7" iPhone 8 and 3GB in the 5.5" iPhone 8 Plus. 2GB is really, really low for a high intensity graphics game. I use an iPad Pro 10.5 which has 4GB RAM.

look up how to "clear RAM" or do a hard reboot. That should help but you'll probably need to do it frequently. and remember it's the working memory needed to constantly display all those moving graphics that is causing problems. It will be worse as your island becomes bigger, visiting higher level players or constantly zooming in and out.
    Thank you, this is a perfect explanation of the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuicakes View Post

I regularly clear my ram and cache. It is a very easy process for the iPhone 8 you simply hold down the power until it says to turn it off and then when you see that message you hold down the home button until your screen flashes back to home screen. Too bad it doesn’t fix the issue. In my experienced dragon story is not a high intensity graphics game (the animation is incredibly simple done by pinching and pulling the image of the dragon, there are not actual frames of animation that animate the legs they are just semi rotated and pinched) it is not very well optimized either. These crashes are happening to every single person I know that plays this game regardless of what model phone they have.
    But I do appreciate you trying to help though, but I clear my ram on a regular basis, I can literally play every single other game without the issues that I get while playing dragon story.

So, while Elsa said it’s a perfect explanation (which I do appreciate nuicakes offering one), she has not offered any insight or explanation as to why everyone I know including myself are experiencing these crashes with this games constant instability. Ram is not the issue for every single person I know, I got hundreds of Neighbor's all complain about crashes... I don’t mean that I crash every second, I was just using an example that it can happen anytime, anywhere you never know when. But if I am unlucky it happens a lot and I know it’s not my phone because games with actually more intense graphics can be played without any issues at all. Even if I clear my cache and close off all my background apps it doesn’t make a difference...

The game should be optimized for the amount of ram for the average phones, you know, like most phone games usually do. I was crashing years ago with the newest models of phones when dragon story first came out back in the day. It hasn’t gotten any better it has only gotten worse. So, that’s why my post is here.
    Last edited by AraRaider; 11-06-19 at 05:40 PM.
    8+ years friendly DS player. I'm ⒶⓁⓌⒶⓎⓈ accepting active new neighbors, event item requests and maps. I also always reply to messages, message away or write on my wall to chat! Ⓜⓐⓡⓑⓛⓔ ⓚⓔⓨⓢ time requirements are the ⓦⓞⓡⓢⓣ!⃝

~✿❀✿~❃❁❃~✿❀✿~

Quote Originally Posted by AraRaider View Post
    <Snip...>
    The game should be optimized for the amount of ram for the average phones, you know, like most phone games usually do. I was crashing years ago with the newest models of phones when dragon story first came out back in the day. It hasn’t gotten any better it has only gotten worse. So, that’s why my post is here.
    They'll need to close all the memory leaks before they attempt to optimize the game.

There was a post a long time ago by Elsa listing a whole set of improvements that were done (or perhaps going to be done) to the game to improve its memory utilization. I can honestly say that I have not experienced any of those listed improvements since the time of that post. If anything, the crashes are happening more frequently than ever.

Nightclub Owner
    I have a question as a player that is not tech savvy; why should all of the "customers" have to suddenly "learn" how to play this game? If this is an issue facing the vast majority of players across all platforms, then the devs need to come up with a fix/patch/solution for us. I find it insulting to imply that we are doing something "wrong" to cause the never ending crashes. There is no other app on my iPhone or Kindle that has the problems that DS has.
    Island Name: Amer Island

1883+ Unique Dragons Hatched
    409+ Unique Dragon Eggs in Storage

Quote Originally Posted by deadpixel View Post
    They'll need to close all the memory leaks before they attempt to optimize the game.

There was a post a long time ago by Elsa listing a whole set of improvements that were done (or perhaps going to be done) to the game to improve its memory utilization. I can honestly say that I have not experienced any of those listed improvements since the time of that post. If anything, the crashes are happening more frequently than ever.
    Yes, they were completed. Here's the list again:
    - animations don't play if they aren't on your screen, major improvement to memory
    - particle effects for coin collection reduced from 11 to 3 for only players level 120+ (I can see about lowering the level requirement)
    - halved textures for some legacy dragons. This was a huge project, but unfortunately it didn't significantly improve things so we put the original art back in

New generations of devices have even better processing power to run the game smoothly and scale up. Older devices may not be able to rise to meet those resource requirements even with our high-effort optimizations.

Quote Originally Posted by amerirish View Post
    I have a question as a player that is not tech savvy; why should all of the "customers" have to suddenly "learn" how to play this game? If this is an issue facing the vast majority of players across all platforms, then the devs need to come up with a fix/patch/solution for us. I find it insulting to imply that we are doing something "wrong" to cause the never ending crashes. There is no other app on my iPhone or Kindle that has the problems that DS has.
    I'd be surprised it the game opened on a Kindle at all because it's been unsupported since before 1.2.

Anything two or more generations behind the current iteration of a device may also struggle to play the game for high level, heavily populated islands. If you have other apps with 800+ animated, multi-stage objects on an iPhone 6 and it isn't crashing, please PM me with video and I'll forward it to the development team. iOS11+ has a built-in screen recording feature.

Executive Chef
    I have a brand new Android type phone that I got basically for the express purpose of playing DS and FFS (shows what a loser I am - lol!), and it has rollbacks all the time, just like my "old" iphone 7 Plus. Just got a new iPhone 11 and will see how things go there.

There is another dragon game, no names mentioned, that allows you to find any dragon anywhere from its version of a codex. DS and FFS don't do that. I can look in the Codex and see that I have 3 Music dragons, but there is no way to find them save to visit every habitat until I find them all. It also counts how many you have of each habitat, each decoration, etc. It closes out maybe once a week or less. It continually adds more islands for people to place more habitats and dragons without having to wait 60 days (if you only craft one marble key per day. Thank goodness for my MK producing dragons!). I don't know how many other games that company has. Maybe they only have one game and they do it really well instead of having 20-30 different games to try to stay on top of.

This forum seems to be full of complaints. Part of that is just human nature, I think. Everywhere you go, every social media platform you are on, whatever, someone is going to complain about something. You simply can't please all of the people all of the time. However, I believe that the bottom line is this: People play the game because they enjoy it. People come to the forum because they are "fans" of the game and want to connect with other players, get information, and, yes, express legitimate complaints about things that make the game difficult to play, such as lack of land expansions, things that sometimes actually cost us resources, like when we lose gold or when we are in the middle of completing a bingo task or a battle and the game crashes or rolls back, causing us to lose the credit for that bingo task or battle, etc. Many of us spend real money on this game to varying degrees. When we complain, it usually isn't just for the sake of complaining. It is because we want to continue to play and enjoy the game, but there are some issues that cost us money, some issues that make playing unpleasant rather than fun and relaxing, and some issues (such as lack of ways to expand in a reasonable amount of time (or at all, as in FFS) that make it almost impossible to continue to play the game. This, in turn, causes S8 to lose players, to lose money, etc. Is one purpose of this forum not to be able to bring these issues to light? And when we do, is it not up to S8 to respond in a non-defensive and clear way as to whether the issue can be fixed or not and if the issue will be fixed or not? None of us *want* to be "difficult." We just want to enjoy our games, and it seems that it is in S8's best interest to make the games as enjoyable and playable as possible in order to retain current players, recruit future players, and keep making money.

Nightclub Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by [S8] Elsa View Post
    Yes, they were completed. Here's the list again:
    I'd be surprised it the game opened on a Kindle at all because it's been unsupported since before 1.2.

Anything two or more generations behind the current iteration of a device may also struggle to play the game for high level, heavily populated islands. If you have other apps with 800+ animated, multi-stage objects on an iPhone 6 and it isn't crashing, please PM me with video and I'll forward it to the development team. iOS11+ has a built-in screen recording feature.
    1. The game does open on my Kindle but only so that I can send my other game a gift of gold. I don't actually 'play' that game and I am totally unable to visit any other island because the game will close.

2. If you are implying that it is up to the players to constantly update their device in order to accommodate the game's graphics then I find that to be a most unreasonable expectation. iPhones range about $1000 USD and have updates just about every year. Seems to me that S8 would rather we spend our money on gold than on new devices.
    Island Name: Amer Island

1883+ Unique Dragons Hatched
    409+ Unique Dragon Eggs in Storage

Quote Originally Posted by amerirish View Post
    1. The game does open on my Kindle but only so that I can send my other game a gift of gold. I don't actually 'play' that game and I am totally unable to visit any other island because the game will close.

2. If you are implying that it is up to the players to constantly update their device in order to accommodate the game's graphics then I find that to be a most unreasonable expectation. iPhones range about $1000 USD and have updates just about every year. Seems to me that S8 would rather we spend our money on gold than on new devices.
    No, I'm saying that any app with high graphics is going to struggle on older devices and invite you to pm me with an example if you've experienced otherwise so I can look into it.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast