Thread: August 2019 Mining - Tectonic Dragon

Banned

August 2019 Mining - Tectonic Dragon

In the mines of Dragon Story we can find the appropriately named dragon for August, the Tectonic Dragon. Collect 250 Tropic Minerals and this dragon will be on your island.

Tectonic Dragon
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tectonic_Epic.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	52633
    Rarity: Super Rare
    Type: Tropic, Stone, Red
    Habitat: Tropic Strand, Stone Quarry, Red Rocks
    Available at: Level 45
    Buying Price: 1,500 Gold
    Selling Price: 100 Coin
    Incubation: 15 hours
    Exp Gained: 780 Exp

"Rupturing with flames from the magmic core of the Island, Tectonic Dragons are the bringers of new lands to the Island's splendor. Their bodies cool to a black cracked stone when they touch the seawater where they trail magma to bring new lands and new life to all dragons."

Executive Chef
    It's like they're toying with us, telling us that this dragon will bring new lands.

Does anyone have any tricks on how to use your searches for parts that give you the most success. I just keep pushing and I might get one piece in all 10 try’s. I would like to get more than 1 every time or is it just dumb luck in the mine. TIA

Fashion Designer
    I start somewhere...different every time. But if I get "far away", I go 3 places away for the next one. If I get Near, I go two places away. If I get near again, to places in another direction - forming a square. If I get "close", I try right nextdoor.

I do usually start in the middle or in one of the corners.

Hopefully that makes sense - and don't worry about getting close to a place you already mined, I have gotten items right next to a place that had been "to far" before so it's not logical like you may think....it's Storm8 logical.

I almost always get 2 parts, sometimes 3, once in a while just 1, every once in a blue moon none or 4.

Executive Chef
    After each part that you find, the mine "resets," which explains why a place that was previously "too far" can suddenly be "very close" or even where the part is.

If you get "close" then you know that you are 2 spaces away from the part, but not in which direction. Clicking on a space right next to your "close" hit will never get you the part, but it can tell you if you are getting closer or farther away. I would actually recommend clicking 2 spaces away from any "close" that you uncover because clicking right next to it is sure to **not** be the part.

I average 2 parts per mining expedition, but often get 3. Like Mostreal said, I get 4 once in a blue moon.

When the Devs first introduced the mining game, the mine would be peppered with a few parts so that it was quite easy to locate them with a random start. They subsequently changed it so that only a single piece is placed in the mine each time and that one is only replenished, into a random location, after you find the previous one. The new location could very well be adjacent to the last "Found it."

Many players advocate random patterns for the search, but over the years, I've found that by going about it in a systematic way I tend to get two hits 80% of the times, one hit 10% of the times, three hits 7% of the times, four hits 2% of the times and more than four hits about 1% of the times.

I would start from the middle-bottom and, depending on the result, move on to middle-top, middle-left, middle-right, each point one square away from the edge, always depending on the outcome.

As other players have pointed out, the results that you get indicate the distance you are from the part you are searching for:

A Red "Too Far" suggests that the piece is at least three points away in any direction.
    A Yellow "Near" tells you that the part is exactly two points away, left, right, up, down or diagonally.
    A Green "Very close" places the part at any point adjacent to it.

This mining game is somewhat similar to the Minesweeper game of old. You need a little bit of luck to start, but logic will play a more significant part as you progress. Here are some examples:

Example 1

Should you get a Green "Very close" indicator like so:

The logical next step would be to test a point adjacent to it:

If luck does not get you the part on this try, then logic has to take over. For example, a Yellow "Near" indicator at an adjacent horizontal or vertical point tells you to test the diagonal points on the opposing side:

If you do not receive a "Found it," the "Near" or "Very close" result would still give you the right place to try next.

Example 2

When I get a Yellow "Near" one point away from the edge, I will make my next move two points perpendicularly away from the point (away from the edge). Like in the image below:

That way, if I get a Red "Too far," I would immediately know that the next points to try would be the two points diagonally to the other side of the original search point, like so:

These are some of the many combinations you can make up to reduce the number of tries needed to locate a part. Good luck
    Last edited by deadpixel; 09-06-19 at 01:56 PM.

Wow thanks everyone good examples I’ll definitely try. Happy mining ��.

Executive Chef
    OMG, Deadpixel, I knew that you would contribute to this thread, but I had no idea you would be so thorough and in depth. Thank you for all your time! I can't believe I kept writing "close" when it is "near." *head desk* You have mad computer s****z cuz I have no idea how to add all those images and stuff to my posts.

I kind of have a pattern that I follow, too, but I'm not s****ed enough to post it on here. I pretty much start about 3 spaces in and 3 spaces down from the top, then go to 3 spaces in and 3 spaces up from the bottom, then 3 spaces in and 3 spaces up from the right bottom corner, and then 3 spaces in and down from the top right corner before I attack the middle. That way if there is anything in any of those 3x3 spaces, I will be sure to get a "near" or a "very close" to tell me I'm in the right area. Going any closer to the edge wouldn't capture as many "near"s. I hope that makes sense.