Thread: Unexpected Breeding Outcomes

Nightclub Owner

Unexpected Breeding Outcomes

So I put Anubis and Saturn in the den and got 4 hours...this is odd as there is no indication that this should be a possible outcome. The egg was Orion (a fail for me, btw). I thought that we could have a thread for situations such as this. Hopefully other players get happy unexpected outcomes
    Island Name: Amer Island

1883+ Unique Dragons Hatched
    409+ Unique Dragon Eggs in Storage

Quote Originally Posted by amerirish View Post
    So I put Anubis and Saturn in the den and got 4 hours...this is odd as there is no indication that this should be a possible outcome. The egg was Orion (a fail for me, btw). I thought that we could have a thread for situations such as this. Hopefully other players get happy unexpected outcomes
    To get the Orion Dragon, you were originally required to breed Purple with Yellow. However, somewhere along the way, the developers appeared to have forgotten to switch off the ability to directly breed it using Cosmic and Purple. See the Orion Dragon thread for more details: Orion Dragon - June 11, 2019 (Needed for the Starsong Dragon Tales Event)

This odd breeding issue isn't a one-off thing. There have been a number of these "ultra-rare-common" dragons that required unique breeding combinations where the developers also forgot to switch off direct element breedings. Most of the calculators out there don't list these dragons in their outcome listings when you combine the direct elements.

Nightclub Owner
    So very happy to report that after the snafu above, Saturn & Anubis did produce what I was hoping for....Quasar

Rhino Keeper
    Well, I'm breeding Glimmer right now. It wasn't unexpected as i was hoping by breeding chameleon with mercury, i would get the ultra rare common for dragon tale, or Glimmer, Diamond Prism, Glimmer.
    Now, i have 12 more diamonds left to breed.

Nightclub Owner
    Tropic & Air produced an unexpected Honeymoon fail

Quote Originally Posted by amerirish View Post
    Tropic & Air produced an unexpected Honeymoon fail
    Huh? Looks like they have not switched off the special breeding combination of Red and Yellow for the Honeymoon Dragon

When you breed pure Tropic with another element, it can choose to split into Red and Blue, so the Red must have combined with the Yellow in Air for you and produced the Honeymoon. But this is really strange because we’re not supposed to be able to breed special types from split elements; the parents are supposed to have the primary elements

Nightclub Owner
    Quote Originally Posted by deadpixel View Post
    Huh? Looks like they have not switched off the special breeding combination of Red and Yellow for the Honeymoon Dragon

When you breed pure Tropic with another element, it can choose to split into Red and Blue, so the Red must have combined with the Yellow in Air for you and produced the Honeymoon. But this is really strange because we’re not supposed to be able to breed special types from split elements; the parents are supposed to have the primary elements
    It really took me off guard. I had to look up what the egg was before it hatched to make sure I wasn't crazy. I actually got a 2nd Honeymoon fail after I posted this

Executive Chef
    Ok, so I know that this isn't exactly what is meant by this "unexpected breeding outcomes" thread, but I had an unexpected breeding outcome of another sort.

Usually I don't bother at all with bingo tasks like "breed a Poison dragon" or "breed an Island dragon" because I simply don't want my den and nests clogged up for 20+ hours. However, my baby account is in the gold league, and I really wanted to stay there, so I figured for 300 points it would be worth it. Plus, Poison is one of the easiest dragons to breed, always popping up whenever you don't want it, right? So I put Peacock and Forest in the den and got a Spellspine dragon, which I was actually quite pleased with because I like Spellspine and it gives my baby account a dino type dragon. So I hit rebreed (I had boosts going) and got a second Spellspine. Again, fine by me because I like to have babies and adults share a habitat together. Hit rebreed again - another Spellspine! So at this point I am wondering if my breeding den is stuck or something, so I figure I will just keep hitting rebreed to see how long it stays stuck. I got 5 Spellspines in a row!! Then I got something else - don't even remember what. Never did get the Poison dragon for my bingo task! I kept all 5 Spellspines for now and will see what they look like at all stages of development!