Thread: Opinions on what dragon to craft in the codex

Rhino Keeper

Opinions on what dragon to craft in the codex

As the title states, I'm 40 essences away from 1600 essences. What dragons are you guys going for? And what would be or was your first craft?

Can't wait to read your comments!

Banned
    Honestly, I think that 99% of the comments you get are going to be people telling you which dragons are the best fighters in the battle arena because it seems like that is all that some people care about, so they'll probably recommend ADIPS and any kind of Champion type dragon.
    Personally, I am much more interested in aesthetics: which animals do I think are the prettiest or the cutest, or which ones are, I guess you could say, "meaningful" to me. I'm looking for true love, so I would love to invite a True Love dragon to my forest for luck.
    Personally, most of the Champion type dragons aren't my favorite as far as appearance goes, but I did craft a Cleric and a Gilded Knight because they were appealing to me, and my Gilded Knight is a great fighter. I also got a Prize Fighter cuz the guy I am "Smitten" with is a former boxer. I saw a Henna dragon in a battle once and thought she was beautiful, so I crafted her. I also recently crafted a Starstruck (I think that is the one) because it is really pretty when it grows up.
    I also kind of like the idea of trying to collect all the dragons of a certain type, like maybe trying to get all the Spooky dragons or all the gemstones or something, but, again, that is just my idea. I generally stay away from anything that is breedable, even if it is almost impossible to breed, like Neon or any of the Diamond type dragons.
    Since we don't know what you have and don't have, it can be difficult to advise.

Rhino Keeper
    This is still a great answet, exactly what I'm looking for I like to see what others like then I can go research and google.

I only found one thread on this after doing a Google search which was a surprise I expected there to be lots.

I don't want to craft anything breedable otherwise I feel like I *****ed. I have been away from the game for like 2 years so have no idea if there is some major dragon that I must be missing. I looked at 'the dark one'. All those different types make him see special but I'm not so sure.

As for champions I have 5 in my storage that I'm not even bothered about hatching. I know it's a problem later on in the game so I keep all dragons that go to storage in storage I think I have nearly 100 or more in there. I only actually use 2 out of the 6 that are on my island in tournament's anyway.

I too like to see the dragons in battles there are so many new ones but doing all these events hardly give me anytime to try my luck at breeding them. One good thing about coming back to the game is that I have more of a chance of getting a new dragon instead od the same old same old as there are many new ones to me now!

Fashion Designer
    I agree with Phoenix. Probably because I have a great fighting crew and don't need any others.
    Glasswing is probably the best fighter in the game and he's a looker, so he's always my top pick for anyone who doesn't have him.

The way I have been choosing is by going off my Most Wanted lists. It has one column of permanent breedables that I try for when ignoring the ever-ongoing events. I've slowly been crossing those off as I breed them. Then, the other column is expired dragons, aka To Be Crafted. The list has been made over the years, added to whenever I miss out on an event dragon I really liked or see a beautiful dragon in a neighbor's game.

When the Codex came out I started with the rares since they were the cheapest. Eve and Pride were first, since I've tried for them whenever they are released (for like 4 days a year ugh) and have never been able to breed either. 400 Essence, each, was a great trade for my annual frustration and disappointment. Next came event rares, like Swamp and Seaglass. Both of those were Spin To Wins, I think? Now I am working on the super rares. That's been tough. There's like 30 dragons on the expired list, mostly super rares, and 800 Essence takes a long time to save up. I agonize over each choice, for days. Knightmare or Northwest? Plague Doctor or Kaleido? Aaaa! It's hard. Don't think I'll ever craft any of the ultra rares on the list. It's too pricey, and they don't fight as ultra rares since they are classified as unbreedable. Plus, since my choices are mostly about aesthetics, two pretty super rares are better than one pretty ultra rare!

There haven't been any innovative or game-changing types introduced in the last two years. Nothing like how the Champ type was when it first came out, or like the diamond type. The new types (holiday, planet/earth/whatever it's called, flower, spooky, arcane, etc, etc.) seem to serve no purpose other than providing a monthly theme, imho. They seem to be more of a money-making gimmick than fully developed types: all limiteds (except the stupid commons), no full-capacity habitats for coins permanently available in the menu, they glut the game for the month and then they're gone. Plus, most split a thousand ways in the breeding den and suck in the Arena (too many types). So, again, crafting choices come down to aesthetics and your personal preferences.

There is an overwhlming number of dragons in the game, especially after the insane release rate of the past year and a half. I'd say a good place to start narrowing down the options is to make a list. Go through the websites and visit neighbors, see which dragons pop out at you, which ones you love. When you are like, "Oooo! I gotta have that one!" put it on the list. Then further organize by rarity/Essence price, availability, and potential uses (battle, breed, looks cool), or whatever features/categories are important to you. Take screenshots and post them here if you need help IDing dragons. There's *a lot* of new dragons and a pile more will be introduced next week. It seems the pace of new dragon releases has been more about quantity than quality or usefulness for the last year or so.

I hope this helps!
    Last edited by FireballFarm; 01-18-19 at 10:13 PM.

Rhino Keeper
    Wow FireballFarm! Thanks. So ok I don't have glasswing so will definitely have a look at him first him first then. Glad you mentioned about crafting ultra rares cos I was about to make that mistake.

I will do as you and phoenix have both said, use the battle arena and neighbours islands to spot I have seen a few I have no idea which dragon they are.

So 'the dark one' is not worth a craft? Do the other types cause him to be not as strong due to him being a hybrid?

Whatever happened to spin to win? I think I got knigtmare from that as he is still stuck in my storage, I learned a long time ago to leave dragons in there, has that changed or still do that? How many dragons are we allowed on island now?

Currently screenshotting these answers!

Rhino Keeper
    Oh I forgot to say passion has been my dragon that I could never get and I missed out on it just recently as I didn't even know it was breedable again. I hope it comes back for valentine's.

Quote Originally Posted by ecxtasy View Post
    Wow FireballFarm! Thanks. So ok I don't have glasswing so will definitely have a look at him first him first then. Glad you mentioned about crafting ultra rares cos I was about to make that mistake.

I will do as you and phoenix have both said, use the battle arena and neighbours islands to spot I have seen a few I have no idea which dragon they are.

So 'the dark one' is not worth a craft? Do the other types cause him to be not as strong due to him being a hybrid?

Whatever happened to spin to win? I think I got knigtmare from that as he is still stuck in my storage, I learned a long time ago to leave dragons in there, has that changed or still do that? How many dragons are we allowed on island now?

Yes, the Dark One is not worth crafting, and yes, the many types in its composition inadvertently increase the chances that one of its elements would be weak against one in its opponents. When considering your fighters, remember that a single weakness is enough to reduce your winning odds dramatically.

What you should also consider, when looking into the dragon you wish to craft, is the total amount of food it is going to take to grow your dragon to a useful level. I may be an exception, but I tend to raise the fighters in my stable to the maximum level of 15. To build a Champion Hybrid like Glasswing to that level, you will be feeding it 886,450 units of food. To do the same for a Diamond hybrid like the Achilles Dragon, 712,700 units of food. The more elements you find in the dragon's composition, the more food you will have to dump on them.

Quote Originally Posted by ecxtasy View Post

They bring it back every year around Valentine's Day. I would try my luck then, before plonking down valuable essence to craft it.